Three or four favorite jazz albums of the 60's?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thinking back to my school days, these were most often on the turntable.

Mal Waldron "The Quest"

Steve Lacy "Evidence"

John Coltrane "Africa Brass"

Ornette Coleman "Town Hall 1962"

Duke Ellington "Afro-Bossa"

Are they STILL your favourites, Chuck?

I never got 'Star bag' until 1996, but I'd still put that in with other stuff I bought at the time.

MG

Wes Montgomery with the Wynton Kelly Trio: Smokin' at the Half Note

Sonny Rollins: Alfie

Miles Davis: Anything with the Quintet

Oliver Nelson: Blues and the Abstract Truth

Really too many more to list for a time of such prolific recording.

Edited by fasstrack

Just like the polls here, ask 100 people get a hundred answers.....

mine could be....

John McLaughlin------ Extrapolation-----(Polydor)

Coltrane-----Plays Chim Chim....------ (Impulse)

Miles----------Bitches Brew------(CBS)

Lucky Thompson------Lucky Strikes----(Prestige)

Being a child of the 60s I've approached the music of the decade in hindsight. I've known the above LPs the longest and they all had a big impact on my listening in the late 80s. Had I heard Sound then rather than last year then I've little doubt it would have wormed its way into my affections.

The point being that what we list here probably has as much to do when we heard it in our development of jazz appreciation as it does it's absolute value.

Edited by Clunky

A wee bit single-minded but:

The Max Roach Trio featuring the Legendary Hasaan

Wow - I've seen so many negative reviews of this but when I see this appear in Larry's list my curiosity to hear it increases enormously. If ever a session attracted diverse opinions it is this one !

It's an AWESOME record...can't imagine anyone being equivocal about it!

A wee bit single-minded but:

The Max Roach Trio featuring the Legendary Hasaan

Wow - I've seen so many negative reviews of this but when I see this appear in Larry's list my curiosity to hear it increases enormously. If ever a session attracted diverse opinions it is this one !

It's an AWESOME record...can't imagine anyone being equivocal about it!

Worth noting that it's recently been reissued as part of the Warner Japanese/Euro 1000 Yen series.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Roach-Trio-Featuring-Legendary-Hasaan/dp/B00DRE800I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397514035&sr=8-1&keywords=hasaan

Just ordered the Roscoe Mitchell quartets with Philip Wilson which I've never heard so my quick list below night not be compete:

Eric Dolphy - Live at the Five Spot volume 1

John Coltrane: First Meditations

Peter Brotzmann: Nipples

Hank Mobley: Workout

Wes Montgomery: Full House

Or add one of Miles Smiles or Filles De Kilemenjaro

Impossible to pick - and I'm not as big a listener to 60's jazz as I am of 90's onward.

Plus I love fasstrack's picks

My favorite Rollins are Alfie plus the later impulses

Damn I need to get a new copy of Wes' At the Half Note - I used to play the hell out of that one

Another two would be Inner Urge and Idle Moments

Edited by Steve Reynolds

Strange no one put down...

I'd lose too much sleep to play this game I think...but strangely, the first which came to mind was Hampton Hawes' 'The Green Leaves of Summer'!

On the JJM site, one of the comments began with: "I find it strange that no one else included “Rah,” the first album by Mark Murphy". :huh: WTF?

Anyway, I don't get all the "strange" references. There's nothing strange going on here. As Clunky said above, "Just like the polls here, ask 100 people get a hundred answers....."

It's bizarre that someone would find it "strange" that one of their personal favorites wasn't mentioned, unless it was some universally-recognized classic (and even then, it might be too subjective to voice an objection). What was more surprising to me was that two of the participants in the linked story selected JJ's "Proof Positive". That's not to say I don't think it's worthy, but what were the odds? Even in one decade, the number of choices is immense.

I might have chosen a Hawes Contemporary title too, btw, but probably "I'm All Smiles" or "Here And Now" over "Green Leaves", particularly because the material was generally more "contemporary" to the 60's.

Then my chapter would be...

Paul Bley - Footloose !

George Russell - G.R. Sextet in K.C.: Original Swinging Instrumentals

Sonny Clark - Leapin' and Lopin'

Sam Rivers - Fuchsia Swing Song... or Andrew Hill - Black Fire...or Archie Shepp - Four for Trane

Edited by Simon8