Freddie Hubbard -- after BN, but before CTI...

Rooster_Ties

I've only just recently acquired a small handful of Freddie Hubbard CD's from the late 60s -- after from after he left BN, but before he was on CTI.

From a quick glance, the AMG doesn't appear to have a complete list of titles -- and as best I can tell from the near abysmal (and impossible to read) liner-notes for the "Collectables" reissues of a couple of these, many of them (in their "album" format) seem to be drawn from multiple sessions.

Does anyone know a good on-line resource that lays out Freddie's recordings from this time-period in a sessionography style presentation? -- with a key to what's on what, release-wise? Or any kind of reasonable presentation of the data (however it's organized).

I have to admit that before now, I'd slept on getting Freddie's post-BN output for many years -- and (I'm just now discovering), maybe to my detriment.

Any particular favorite titles that are must-have recordings from this era of Freddie's output?

I'm especially drawn to the "larger" small-group titles, with tuba, euphonium, and/or French horn (a couple of the titles I have seem to have a couple tracks each with such larger groups -- but oddly, the "album-oriented releases" are from a hodge-podge of sessions, with different size groups).

(Don't have the discs in front of me at the moment (but I've been meaning to start this thread for a couple of weeks). As I mentioned -- the liners are barely any help at all with a couple of them, impossible to read, and a jumble of info at best.)

Many thanks in advance.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Some on-line discographies (maybe organized by release date, rather than recording date?) -- have one or two NON-CTI Hubbard-led dates having been issued after his first one or two CTI leader-dates.

...which is to say that maybe I don't strictly mean "before" CTI -- but rather all the non-BN, non-CTI dates Freddie led in the late 60's and early, early 70's (meaning everything non-BN, before he went completely fusion).

Some on-line Googling just not gives several discographies (including an 'official' one from Freddie's website), none of which seem complete.

There are Wikipedia pages for each of these (below) -- is this perhaps "complete"?? (Links go to each album's respective Wikipedia entry/page.)

1. Jam Gems: Live at the Left Bank, 2001, Label M
  2. Backlash, 1966, Atlantic
  3. High Blues Pressure, 1968, Atlantic
  4. A Soul Experiment, 1969, Atlantic
  5. The Black Angel, 1970, Atlantic
  6. The Hub of Hubbard, 1970, MPS
  7. Sing Me a Song of Songmy, 1971, Atlantic

Then there's also the relatively recent 'live' title that Blue Note put out a few years ago -- which is also from this era (and while being on Blue Note, really has more to do with these non-BN titles than BN).

Edited by Rooster_Ties

See my post in other Hubbard thread

Aren't those all after the time-period in question? I'm essentially after all the late 60's and early, early 70's stuff Hubbard did after he left Blue Note, and (essentially) before he was on CTI (or as he was transitioning to CTI -- so everything that wasn't on CTI, from around that time).

I'm not 100% sure, but the titles you link to in your post all seem to be from the mid-to-late 70's, including (primarily? - or entirely?)stuff he did after CTI (or as he was transitioning away from CTI).

See my post in other Hubbard thread

Aren't those all after the time-period in question? I'm essentially after all the late 60's and early, early 70's stuff Hubbard did after he left Blue Note, and (essentially) before he was on CTI (or as he was transitioning to CTI -- so everything that wasn't on CTI, from around that time).

I'm not 100% sure, but the titles you link to in your post all seem to be from the mid-to-late 70's, including (primarily? - or entirely?)stuff he did after CTI (or as he was transitioning away from CTI).

Yeah you got me - I realised that after I posted but decided to leave it in... :blush:

Still, it means those interested can now find all 7 of the Columbias, except the Sony Japan Gleam. Some but not I think all of these were previously on Wounded Bird. I see that Wounded Bird also did Gleam.

Edited by David Ayers

THE HUB OF HUBBARD is the one to get, IMO. Though I do like the collaboration with MimaroÄŸlu (SING ME A SONG OF SONGMY).

Same, yes, definitely. Hub Of Hubbard is just nuts, gonzo nuts, everybody on there is either drunk, high or happy, possibly/probably all three in some form or fashion. Carpe diem on that puppy, yes, do that. Right now.

Songmy is not to every taste, but if it is to yours, it is not to be missed. Freddie does some very intense playing on it.

Having said that, though, my favorite Hubbard Atlantic Experience is Side Two of The Black Angel. A perfect Freddie Hubbard Record listening experience, imo. But you'll need the LP to get that like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oaRvFUUsXc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvnPb4RasBs

And for closers, the best "Coral Keys" that I've heard, ever:

It's like CTI w/o the CTI-ness, a suite of hip Variations On The Same Thing, assembled for your listening and social activities pleasure, only with production that seeks to get you to think it was your idea, not theirs.

I've alwasy dugh "Space Track" from that album. "A Soul Experiment" was a mistake, and parts of "Songmy" are a mess, but overall, I really like his Atlantic materail. I also really like his CTI material and the first Columbia album ("High Energy").

Seems there was another one on MPS, Rollin' from about that time? Seems it was reissued a few years back, but maybe I am off on the timing of the music.

Edit: Indeed I was incorrect - early 80s issue. Of the Atlantics, my favorite is High Blues Pressure. Not saying this is good or bad - just descriptive - but still of a sound of the BN albums. Backlash more of the same, albeit a little soul-jazzier.

Edited by Eric

Isn't he also on a Frederich Gulda session on MPS from around that time?

Yes, JJ Johnson too - also released on CBS.

'Backlash' and 'High Blues Pressure' are my favourites of the Atlantics. 'Backlash' to me almost sounds like a good-ish Hubbard Blue Note session recorded in thin Atlantic sound and with Albert Dailey's piano somewhat out of tune.

This 2LP set put out by Atlantic back in the day I've always found a pretty good 'potted highlights' of this stuff..

Freddie+Hubbard+-+The+Art+Of+Freddie+Hub

Edited by sidewinder