Survey says one in 10 young people buy cassette tapes

David Ayers

My cheapo stereo with cassette decks didn't survive all my moves. Just a while ago I bought a super-cheap cassette player with USB output, so that these old cassettes can be digitized. Generally the results are ok.

However, I am not hanging onto the cassettes after they have been digitized. For a short while, I tried giving them away, but no takers...

BELKIN-Cassette-adapter-product-review-2

car-stereo-cassette-adapter-for-ipod-mp3

Our Hero!

28133580-260x260-0-0_Maxell+Maxell+Cd+33

Ok, yes, I do still have many, many cassettes, but...really? Analog is still King (Sentimental Division), but you had to buy damn good blanks to not get obvious hiss, and 1 7/8 IPS...again...really? I make it a point to get stuff on CD that I only have on cassette. Legit stuff, that is. The whole point of "settling" for cassette was portability, and shooooot...that game ain't even close these days. Hiss, jams, broken/streched tapes...it ain't like it's an LP, something built to (theoretically/ideally) endure. The whole point was to play it in your car or on your jog or even worse.

OTOH, if it = this hipster cassette fetish gets music distributed to people looking for it, hey, win-win.

8-Track cartridges next ? :rolleyes:

Sounds like you missed the first rebirth, 1990. But the second began around 2011. Link I can't say I've seen brick and mortar stores focused on 8-tracks in the past decade or so, but they're often displayed prominently in the hipster botiques. (I use the term "hipster" pretty loosely. Beyond Brooklyn and Portland, I'm not sure what to call the people in Salt Lake City and Santa Cruz, Mendocino, Seattle...)

I told my son about this rebirth of cassette today, and his immediate response was, "what, has vinyl gotten too popular?" :g

On the personal experience front, we took a trip out to East Texas today to see relatives, and decided, hey, I'm getting tired of using the cassette hole in our 1999 Accord for that adapter, let's use it for cassettes, so I grabbed a handful of things I knew made good road music. Caravanseri ejected at he end of side one, the leader tape just kept going and pulled itself loose, game over. Borboletta played fine all the way through (and got me to considering that maybe I liked it more than Caravanseri after all, and believe me, after 40 or so years, that's not a decision to make lightly), but there was definitely some high-end loss due to tape his due to years of road trips. That got us out there. On the way back, after stopping at the cemetery to see Mom & Dad, in went some Sony Classical thing from 1999 with Firebird, Daphnis et Chloe, and Petrushka. Firebird & Daphnis did well, but as Petrushka (Side Two) wore on, the pitch started getting real wobbly and I decided to eject before something cassette-y happened. People who have walked on streets and roads on the last quarter century of the American 20th Century have seen the carnage and know what I mean.

So, moral of the story...analog, yes. Cassette....Really?

?