Having met him on several occasions since moving to the Bay Area, so very dedicated and enthusiastic about the music for a very long time; a class act and very warm & friendly gentleman. An icon who will be sadly missed.....

article on Dr. Herb Wong previously unpublished, I've been told.
http://www.pajazzalliance.org/Documents/HerbWong.pdf

Edited by Mike Schwartz

His specific achievements aside (important though they were) he was always just a nice guy to me, when I was coming up. He taught me a lot. His enthusiasm for Woody Herman in particular was infectious. And his old radio programs with Bob Houlehan ("The only Lester Young show in the history of the universe", featuring Pres and disciples) were classic. I still have cassettes.

Thanks, Dr. Herb.

R.I.P.

An important, and obviously sympathetic person - Cal Tjader's tune Daddy Wong Legs was dedicated to him. Will play it tomorrow in his honour.

Another tune dedicated to Herb was Nat Pierce's chart for Woody Herman called Dr. Wong's Bag. (Wong was a huge fan of the Herd).

R.I.P. Dr. Wong - you were a great enthusiast and promoter of jazz.

The obit from today's San Jose Mercury News: http://www.mercurynews.com/obituaries/ci_25604999/herb-wong-bay-area-jazz-lover-expert-dies

I was familiar with his name and the impact he had on jazz as a writer, broadcaster, record label owner and producer.

I really only knew him from the annual radio broadcast he did on Christmas morning. I guess he began doing that tradition back on KJAZ some 50+ years ago, but I only heard him during the years he did it on KCSM. That program was a part of my Christmases for many years and I'm glad I got to listen to at least a part of it last year.

May he rest in peace.

I went to school with a cat from Oakland who always laughed (not derisively) at the mention of Dr. Herb Wong. Apparently he was know (back in the day, at least) to come out to gigs and would give a few words on the music's behalf, and he'd speak exactly like his liner notes read, very enthusiastic, and not afraid to drop some words that might not everybody in the house understand. But he was just so...happy about it that everybody dug him, when he could have come off as just a presumptuous croak. But no, his love shone through and the feeling got spread.

Gotta love a guy like that.

I went to school with a cat from Oakland who always laughed (not derisively) at the mention of Dr. Herb Wong. Apparently he was know (back in the day, at least) to come out to gigs and would give a few words on the music's behalf, and he'd speak exactly like his liner notes read, very enthusiastic, and not afraid to drop some words that might not everybody in the house understand. But he was just so...happy about it that everybody dug him, when he could have come off as just a presumptuous croak. But no, his love shone through and the feeling got spread.

Gotta love a guy like that.

For anyone who knows I'm "from Oakland" and studied music in Texas: Wasn't me. :-)

...but I can relate to the story. I mention the radio show with Bob Houlehan. Herb Wong was the polished presenter with all these high-minded thoughts. Bob Houlehan was the (equally) loveable "other guy" who sometimes struggled with the broadcast equipment or came up short trying to remember a name.

And speaking of Herb Wong tributes and his radio show with Bob Houlehan, I just came across this:

http://www.amazon.com/Young-At-Heart-Larry-Vuckovich/dp/B000QR3K4A

51DDXfntCvL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

"Lester People" is Jewkes' tune and arrangement, a tribute to Herb Wong's and Bob Houlehan's Sunday San Francisco KJAZ radio show, "The Heart of Jazz"

Edited by BeBop

Another Wong story posted today by Steven D. Harris on the Kentonia email list:

Many years ago, Herb mentioned to me that when he got married, there was only one band he considered using to play for his wedding: that was of course the Herman Herd. (I wonder if Woody revised his 1939 record of Golden Wedding, which he was still playing on occasion up through at least the Third Herd.) Herb also mentioned that he recorded the event in stereo which I think took place in 1967. That would make a great CD release today, as it would probably be a "first" in the history of jazz: "WOODY HERMAN: LIVE AT HERB WONG'S WEDDING!" SDH

• 3 years later...