Happy Birthday Mr. Charles Mingus

Gheorghe

It seems that nobody has noticed, that Mingus was born on april 22, so yesterday was his birthday.

I´d like to say, that I listened to a couple of his recordings (Black Saint and Sinner Lady, Mingus Ah Um, Three or Four Shades of Blues).

It was Mingus´music that opened me up, made me listen to stuff beyond bebop and hardbop, so that I could make the transition to the "New Thing".

Strange enough, one Mingus album (Great Concert 1964 Paris) was about one of the first records I heard. Even if I didn´t understand most of it during that time, I kept listening to it over and over again. Dig that, I didn´t even know who Charlie Parker was, so when I heard that "Parkeriana" and read that Parker was something like an idol for Mingus, I decided to get Parkers records. So I might say that Mingus made me look back a n d forwards (back to the roots of bop, of Duke Ellington etc., and the step to 60´s avantgarde....)

As long as I live, I´ll always have to thank Mr. Mingus for his immense contributions on music, he´s one of the real giants...

Well I think I remember that Jay & Kai 1954 date and that Mingus is on that date, but it´s not my first choice, as most of the 1954 material.

It´s strange, I don´t have difficulties with the more far out sections from later recordings, let´s say I really love them, but the 1954 period.....how can I say it, it´s sounds much more like "western avantgarde" as if Mingus still hadn´t found his way, trying to find something that´s too dificult for the average musician/average listener, but it still wasn´t him.

• 3 years later...

Usually around Mingus´ Birthday I also spin....not necessary in that order "Black Saint" , "Complete Town Hall", "Blues and Roots" ...., and the "Ellington/Mingus/Roach".

The reason may be a historic one: Decades ago I got those records around the time of Mingus´ Birthday (late April).

I play other Mingus items, mostly the 64 stuff with Dolphy and the Mid-Late 70´s stuff Adams/Pullen  Walrath/Neloms/Ford etc. on other occasions, since I purchased or got them as gift in other periods of the year......

Edited by Gheorghe