drummerless groups

Milestones

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Attila Zoller, Hans Koller, Martial Solal - Zo Ko So - (Saba, 1965).

Beautiful guitar, tenor & piano trios.

In a similar vein, Zo-Ko-Ma:

http://www.discogs.com/Attila-Zoller-Lee-Konitz-Albert-Mangelsdorff-Zo-Ko-Ma/release/1860151

In some ways, "Texas Moaner" (see posts #24 and #26) is the "bluest" jazz recording I know. Also, in case anyone thinks that jazz in 1924 still was in some primitive state of being, I'd say that it doesn't get much more sophisticated, in any meaningful sense, than this.

What I immediately thought of when I saw the thread title was the Elvis Presley trio's recordings for Sun, with Presley on rhythm guitar, Scotty Moore lead guitar and Bill Black on bass. To think that some of the most classic Rock & Roll recordings were made without a drummer...

And they DID rock!

MG

http://www.discogs.com/Attila-Zoller-Lee-Konitz-Albert-Mangelsdorff-Zo-Ko-Ma/release/1860151

Zo-Ko-Ma is a great record but there is the fact of Stu Martin's drumming that would probably keep it out of contention for the OP...

Zo-Ko-Ma is a great record but there is the fact of Stu Martin's drumming that would probably keep it out of contention for the OP...

There's also this "in a similar vein" date:

R-1510520-1389220179-3081.jpeg

Oops -- I forgot.

What I immediately thought of when I saw the thread title was the Elvis Presley trio's recordings for Sun, with Presley on rhythm guitar, Scotty Moore lead guitar and Bill Black on bass. To think that some of the most classic Rock & Roll recordings were made without a drummer...

And they DID rock!

MG

Good pick up, MG.

A few more:

New Orleans Wanderers & New Orleans Bootblacks - George Mitchell/Kid Ory/Johnny Dodds/Joe Clark/Lil Armstrong/ Johnny St. Cyr - 1926

Ted Brown Trio - Ted Brown/Hod O'Brien/Jacques Schols: Free Spirit (Criss Cross)

Tal Farlow/Eddie Costa/Vinnie Burke - Verve and Xanadu

Percy France/Dick Katz/Jeff Fuller: I Should Care (Endgame)

I am first of all a big fan of jazz drumming. Nevertheless, I sometimes go for the soft side represented by the drummerless group. I am thinking not of solos or duos, but groups at least three in number. Most such configurations I have enjoyed are that size. My favorite would have to be Jimmy Giuffre 3 (the one "The Train and the River," "Crawdad Suite," etc). Giuffre is the pioneer in this kind of group, and perhaps the pinnacle. I have not heard a lot of the later trio with Bley and Swallow, though I do like Fly Away Litlte Bird, which must be among his last recordings.

Another good one is Power of Three by Michel Pettrucianni, Jim Hall, and Wayne Shorter (though Shorter is absent on several tracks). Jim Hall is indeed one of the great figures in drummerless groups. We should also include Something Special; and there is quite a bit of drummelress work among the Telarc records (though often solo or duo).

I don't think I would include records that use overdubs.

Anyway, I am curious to hear your drummerless recommendations.

It was interesting to find out that Giuffre's inspiration for those wonderful trio LPs with Clarinet (and a little tenor sax), guitar and bass, came from the Impressionists work for flute, harp and viola, mainly the piece by Debussy that used that instrumentation.

Nothing could match the magical blend of the chalimeau register of JG's clarinet with Hall's mellow guitar and Pena's bass. A shame he had to switch the instrumentation to that noisy, banging instrument, the piano. :party:

Joe Puma seemed to prefer drummerless groups on a few of his recordings.

On "Joe Puma Jazz" on Jubilee, he has a full side of the trio with Eddie Costa on vibes, himself on guitar and Oscar Pettiford on bass.back in the late 50s.

Then he recorded another album on Resevoir, with his working group at Gregory's in 1984, featuring Hod Obrien on piano, and Red Mitchell on Bass.

Chet Baker dispensed with drummers on the European trio records with Doug Raney and a bass player.