Art Pepper Hollywood All Star sessions

Claude

I just picked up the Art Pepper Hollywood All Star sessions 5CD set at a local Zweitausendeins shop (30 Euro). It is manufactured in Germany, but the remastering is most likely the same as the US set.

When spinning CD1 I was surprised that there was no stereo effect. I checked with my headphones, and indeed it is mono. The disc says "Stereo AAD".

It is surprising for an official 1979 studio recording to be mono, especially since Session 2, which is split between CD1 and CD2, is stereo on CD2.

Then I picked up a CD-R with MP3s from the same box set, which I've downloaded from Emusic two years ago. The MP3s were probably taken from the US box set. The sound in the files from CD1 is mono too. So it seems that there is a problem with the first disc on all sets.

Can someone confirm this with his set? Does anyone have information on this defect?

• 1 year later...

Don't know in which thread to post... in the other one someone said the zweit fellows had the box for 20 Euros, here it says 30. Whatever, they still have it for 30 and I just got it (together with three of those Oreos books - DizzySpells, if you're reading: the Braxton looks very good, no utter crap there, not coming from Peter Niklas Wilson! - and several 4 Euro OJCCDs).

Guest DizzySpells

Don't know in which thread to post... in the other one someone said the zweit fellows had the box for 20 Euros, here it says 30. Whatever, they still have it for 30 and I just got it (together with three of those Oreos books - DizzySpells, if you're reading: the Braxton looks very good, no utter crap there, not coming from Peter Niklas Wilson! - and several 4 Euro OJCCDs).

I didn't say utter crap.

I said toilet reading.

THAT is a big difference.

At least to me. ;)

I didn't say utter crap.

I said toilet reading.

THAT is a big difference.

At least to me. ;)

I know, I know... but paired with the couw-man's reponse it made the books look like utter crap.

Not a biggie - the Braxton, however, looks like some thorough analysis is going on.

Guest DizzySpells

I think the books in the series are quite good.

They're quickly gobbled up.

What I like best are the discographies with added comments, recommendations, etc. I noticed with the Getz volume that there are two/three sessions I should be looking for.

I think the books in the series are quite good.

They're quickly gobbled up.

What I like best are the discographies with added comments, recommendations, etc. I noticed with the Getz volume that there are two/three sessions I should be looking for.

Yes, the discography parts are the best, and often the comments are quite on the mark. I had the Monk, Mingus, Miles and Trane books back when I got into jazz, and I always enjoyed the commented discographies.

What session is on the first CD? Maybe someone with the original Atlas LP can check it for mono/stereo. Chuck???

Disc 1 was 'Funk'n Fun' by the Bill Watrous Quintet on Atlas.

This is a stereo recording. The vinyl includes an inside liner note detailing microphone placements - all 12 of them - for the session!

I can confirm what Kevin says .. the Japanese version of this set is in stereo, and the range is not that wide, but clearly on the first cut Watrous is featured slightly on the left channel, and Pepper on the right. It is a beautiful recording ... as were the original LPs...

I can confirm what Kevin says .. the Japanese version of this set is in stereo, and the range is not that wide, but clearly on the first cut Watrous is featured slightly on the left channel, and Pepper on the right. It is a beautiful recording ... as were the original LPs...

I am laughing at I listen again to verify what Garth says about who's in what channel. Yeah, I guess Watrous is a little louder in the left channel but I actually had to flip my headphones around a few times to make sure it wasn't my hearing! :)

• 2 years later...

In looking at the Pepper discography at jazzdisco.org, specifically one of the Sonny Stitt dates ("Atlas Blues Blow and Ballads") that's part of this box, it lists two tracks that are not on the box: Autumn In New York and Lover Man. Does anyone know why?