New Charlie Parker Biography (in German language) by Wolfram Knauer

978-3-15-020342-2.jpg

Wolfam Knauer, director of the Darmstadt Jazz Insitute, wrote a new bio on Charlie Parker which was just published by Reclam in Stuttgart. Considering the scarcity of jazz books in German I thought it might be interesting for our members reading this language. I already have the Kindle edition but have no idea when I will find the time to read - either during summer vacation or work breaks, I will see.

Thanks for that info. Wolfram Knauer is very, very competent but I wonder what there is on this particular subject that has not already been said or compiled elsewhere. So I wonder what new ground will be covered or what new angles will be explored and to what extent this books serves a purpose other than finally prividing some in-depth reading on Bird in German (Ross Russell's book was translated at the time but oh well ... ;)).

And somehow, I still have a feeling that the German language just is not always that well suited to writing about jazz and its musical aspects. In the long run I all too often felt somewhat uneasy with many jazz texts I read about in German, particularly those that related specifically to U.S. topics where English material on the very same subject existed too.

But YMMV and possibly that's just my personal impression because the Jazz Podium mag and many scribes of the Zimmerle/Wunderlich etc. era have (to me, anyway) had a way of writing that often just sounded a bit too awkward and stilted for THIS kind of music and seemed way too much influenced by that typical German "Bildungsbürger" attitude.

I'll keep my fingers crossed Knauer breaks new ground here (and I will take a closer look at the book at a local bookstore that carries this sort of books), so by all means do let us know about your impressions when you get around to doing some reading.

978-3-15-020342-2.jpg

Wolfam Knauer, director of the Darmstadt Jazz Insitute, wrote a new bio on Charlie Parker which was just published by Reclam in Stuttgart. Considering the scarcity of jazz books in German I thought it might be interesting for our members reading this language. I already have the Kindle edition but have no idea when I will find the time to read - either during summer vacation or work breaks, I will see.

Language barrier is a problem for me, otherwise I'd love to. I'm still waiting for a biography on Jobim to be translated into English.

But for German-speakers, enjoy!

Edited by fasstrack

Started reading today, well written in a fluent language, and since Knauer is a real jazz man he avoids the language clichees so often found in badly translated jazz books in German. He doesn't claim to cover new ground, just wants to give a proper survey, and does very well so, starting with the environment Bird grew up in - he knows his subject and his trade.

Considering the scarcity of jazz books in German, anything is welcome. Otherwise, I share Steve's thoughts.