May 16: Laurie Pepper - Why I Stuck with a Junkie Jazzman

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, okay. You're right, I'm too thin skinned. If I'm gonna say stuff like "Why I stuckā€¦" and so on, I can expect to hear about it. Thanks for the baptism. I'm ready for my closeup, now. BTW, a facebook friend interviewed Art and me about a month before Straight Life was published, and he just posted this snippet about Art's hopes for reactions to THAT book. Much more sensible (and only he said it in less than a minute). http://blog.bobrosenbaum.com/private/85054390320/tumblr_n582watwtw1rom4l7

"Glass houses" syndrome here.

Some of you need to "chillax" as my granddaughter would say.

BTW, I'm a big fan.

Seeing Art in person was always great, & FWIW I believe that Laurie had plenty to do with keeping him functioning.

YES

Okay, okay. You're right, I'm too thin skinned. If I'm gonna say stuff like "Why I stuckā€¦" and so on, I can expect to hear about it. Thanks for the baptism. I'm ready for my closeup, now. BTW, a facebook friend interviewed Art and me about a month before Straight Life was published, and he just posted this snippet about Art's hopes for reactions to THAT book. Much more sensible (and only he said it in less than a minute). http://blog.bobrosenbaum.com/private/85054390320/tumblr_n582watwtw1rom4l7

thnx for sharing

Anyway, that thread got me back to listen closely to Art PepperĀ“s records and IĀ“m lookin forward purchasing more material.

Also, IĀ“m sure my wife will get that new book for me for some special occasion, so IĀ“m sure IĀ“ll read it.

and done ! My wife ordered the book, and I purchased some of the WidowĀ“s Taste albums.....

It looks like a lot of us are on Laurie's mailing list. I'm glad I got my order in before the discount code was pulled. I should have a copy early next week and I'm looking forward to reading it.

please review it ASAP; I am interested, but the few excerpts I read on line seemed a bit lurid.

are there links to these excerpts?

they were on her site, and it was some time ago; a lot about their sex life, as I recall.

Were the excerpts what appears in the left column here?

http://lauriepepper.net/

• 2 weeks later...

Just getting into it, but I can say right off that Laurie P. is a darn good writer with a narrative voice that sweeps you along and that one implicitly trusts. Also I was tickled to discover in the acknowledgments that her cousin is novelist and woman about town Eve Babitz and her uncle is violinist Sol Babitz.

Info about Eve:
and about Sol:

Well worth a read if you want to find out even more about Art Peeper's amazing life, after reading Straight Life this gives a completely different perspective of the events in Arts life and for me its makes Art's music seem even more incredible when you read about the conditions it was recorded under.

Laurie has done an amazing job with the book and its complete honesty may prove shocking to some people. The only thing I wish is that a bit more effort had been taken in reproducing the photos as their reproduction in the book is not great (maybe something that can be fixed in future editions)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the only problem I can see in the title is that genius was missed out.

Love Laurie and her commitment to keeping the legacy of Pepper alive and Straight Life remains the most honest book I have ever read about jazz genius ravaged by junk. It is a masterpiece of spontaneous bebop prosody that Kerouac could only dream of.

I'm up to p.426 of "Straight Life", and am completely blown away by the book.

I had no idea that Pepper led the life he did in betwixt recording sessions/gigs, and like Chet Baker, I'm amazed that he managed to accomplish what he did, in spite of the huge obstacles he faced.

BTW, I heard a Pepper Live LP from the 50s, where AP showed he could play as fluently as Bird or Stitt on double-time and up tempo things.

Does anyone know what LP this was?

That will be the live recordings made by Bob Andrews in 1952 at the Surf Club in Hollywood and releaed on the Xanadu label in 1976 and 1980. The albums under Art Pepper are The Early Show (Xanadu 108) and The Late Show (Xanadu 117).

There's also one as Shorty Rogers & Art Pepper Popo (Xanadu 148) which was recorded in October 1951 at The Lighthouse.