"Chico Hamilton featuring Paul Horn" on Boplicity...huh?

sgcim

I found this weird re-issue at a library I frequent, and I don't know why they bothered to mention Horn's name on it-he doesn't do any blowing on it!

He is featured on clarinet (if that is him) on a neo-Baroque piece by Fred Katz, but there's no improvisation in it.

There are eight cuts on the CD, and he only plays the heads and ensembles on #5-8!

This is supposedly from the sleazy Crown Records label, but most of it must have come from World Pacific, as a thread here stated.

I picked it up, because I distinctly remember seeing the first three cuts on a Chico Hamilton Trio 78 that an ex-girlfriend's father had in his collection.

I tried to tape it back then, but it was in such lousy shape that it really wasn't worth it.

The sound on this re-issue is clear, but the arco cello is way too loud, and I found myself laughing my head off at how loud Chico's tom-toms were on one tune. :rofl: It sounded like CH was in my living room, and the other guys were in another room. :rlol

The liner notes in the CD booklet do not give the personnel for any of the tunes, and for the trio tunes they say that it is "most likely Geo. Duvivier on bass and either Howard Roberts or Jim Hall on guitar(!). It's nice that they bothered to fully research their 're-issue'. :rofl:

For the quintet tunes, they don't bother to mention who plays bass and guitar on them... :rfr

Totally agree, but before Collete was there, the trio was a gas.

I'll always dig Chico, always. He's one of those guys that will drive you nuts, maybe even piss you off, if you expect him to do anything other than what he does. But once you disabuse yourself of the notion that it will ever be otherwise, hey, nothing but love, pure love.

Talk about less interesting after leaving - Gerry Mulligan after Chico. The interest eventually got rediverted, but hey...Chico made that band into a wholistic musical thing, not just a stylish blend of cultish personalities/right-place right-time right music. Not meant as an insult to anybody, just saying, hey, Chico Hamilton, y'all, Chico Hamilton.

Yeah, that.

Well, I was happy because I had heard the trio sides before at my bi-polar ex-chick's house, where her bi-polar dad had scratched the shit out of the 78 (along with Bird stuff on Dial), and there was some great Howard Roberts on it, with much improved sound.

Speaking of Buddy Collette, I also picked up "Man of Many Parts" on Contemporary, which featured some great playing by this very under-rated sax/flute/clarinet player.

His quartet with Gerry Wiggins was a gas, and the quintet with Barney Kessell was also wonderful.

The octet with Gerald Wilson on trumpet (now I know why he became an arr./bandleader) was pretty disappointing.

All were recorded in 1956.

I saw Buddy on the 30 minute TV show from CA, "Club Date", and he was just perfection on all three instruments.

I have seen the Crown vinyl version of this and it's just a selection of World Pacific tunes reassembled in cheap packaging. Side A is from the Chico Hamilton Trio and Side B is from Zen. Crown also did a second helping called The Great Chico Hamilton Featuring Paul Horn.