Bessie Smith film

Christiern

I actually think the original choice for Bessie - Katie Perry - was much better. With Puff Diddy as her pimp boyfriend who sells her into prostitution where she's rescued by the love of a good man, played by Hugh Jackman, who wisks her off to the new inter-planetary colony established by Sun Ra on the moon.

Edited by AllenLowe

Since this is for HBO, unlike most films that get announced this one will probably get made. Chris, I hope you're staying involved.

Thank you. There have been many options, many hopelessly inappropriate stars (can you believe Dionne Warwick?), some interesting directors (incl. Jules Dassin, V. Minelli), etc. Columbia Pictures rejected a ridiculous script by Melvin van Peeples (who had Bessie as the second black heavyweight champion of the world—see Roberta Flack photo he had made) and we actually went into pre-production with Horton Foote's script, but a financial scandal at the studio halted that one. The current project is already underway. The first music session takes place today and shooting is scheduled to begin in Atlanta about a month from now.

RobertaFlackspars.jpeg

Hmmm. Just as long as it's not anachronistic as on Boardwalk Empire.

I felt that way too but whenever I tried to point out examples they were trivial. Did you notice any major ones?

I was thinking of the way Daughter Maitland sang in a more modern style than those blues women who belted out songs at full volume. Good singer, but probably influenced more by Billie Holliday than Bessie Smith.

Edited by Neal Pomea