The Cellar Jazz Club, Vancouver

sidewinder

Whilst listening to the CDs of Harold Land's 1958 performances at this long-gone enthusiast-run Vancouver Club, I noticed this blog.

http://theoriginalcellarjazzclub.blogspot.co.uk/

Some fascinating stuff on there, including early photos of Carla Bley, Ornette, Don Cherry, Joe Gordon and Billy Higgins.

Edited by sidewinder

Thanks for the link. Would be great if other recordings showed up; I've enjoyed the Land set for quite a while.

It's surely not THAT long-gone. Lonnie Smith made a GREAT album there, with a local band called Crash, in 2003. At the time, the club was run by Cory Weeds, alto player with Crash.

MG

recently found information in 2013, unearthed by researcher Marian Jago, informs us that the Cellar managed to keep the doors open under somewhat strained and shaky circumstances, until about September 1963.

It's surely not THAT long-gone. Lonnie Smith made a GREAT album there, with a local band called Crash, in 2003. At the time, the club was run by Cory Weeds, alto player with Crash.

MG

Weeds revived the name but it was a different club. The original one closed in the 60s. Sadly, the latest Cellar recently closed.

MG

Weeds revived the name but it was a different club. The original one closed in the 60s. Sadly, the latest Cellar recently closed.

Is there a location lined up to take the place of the most recent 'Cellar'?

First time I've heard mention of that weird disappearance of Claude Ranger on one of these pages (it has a CBC audio documentary about the mystery). Remember seeing him with P J Perry.

• 4 years later...

I don't remember were I found this new about this concert:

The Cellar Club, Vancouver, Summer 1957

Don Cherry tp, James Clay as, Don Payne b, Billy Higgins dr

in which they played:

Stablemates    (by Benny Golson)
Tune Up          (by Miles Davis)
Prince Albert    (by Kenny Dorham)

So now I'm not sure if truly that event was held or not.
Could someone help me?
Thanks
Luciano

PS: I have other news of concerts given by Don Cherry at Cellar Club, but I do not know if they correspond to the truth