New Blue Note (Universal) U.S. Series

• 2 weeks later...

I'd love it if Universal would concentrate on new masterings and collecitons of the first fifteen years of Blue Note.

That is what I would MOST like to see done with the catalog. 21st century masterings of the blues, swing and early bop sessions.

Completely agree with you here. That's one BN period I've always been very interested in. I have a number of Japanese TOCJ albums with Art Hodes, Port of Harlem Jazzmen, Sidney Bechet, early Ike Quebec, a.o. And the domestically released BN Swingtets. I'd also like to see early bop material.

I have none of the Brownie stuff inexplicably except for the Blakey/Birdland RVG's. I had Miles vol. 1 &2 as RVG's but there was a time I had so much space I downsized some discs, regrettably. We're not the target audience but this is always good for some of us if there if we want a different mastering choice or want to fill in the gaps. There's so much other music out there, I've given up on upgrading most of the BN's unless I really hated the sound (RVG's of Empyrean Isles, Out to Lunch) because it's money I don't have to do for the large quantity of classic Blue Notes I already own. I'd spring for the SHM versions of long OOP stuff like "Blue John" and the other Pattons in the SHM batch I don't have before something like these.