Smallish Stereo Speakers with Decent Sound

Teasing the Korean

If you live near a Best Buy, go listen to these Andrew Jones designed speakers: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/pioneer-4-bookshelf-speakers-pair/5086955.p?id=1218610014045&skuId=5086955&st=categoryid$abcat0205001&cp=1&lp=5. The previous version (SP-BS21-LR) got rave reviews. This one still gets good press. They're worth listening to.

If you happen to go to a Best Buy with a Magnolia showroom, see if they have the B&W 686 S2 speakers set up. They're $50 over budget, but I just love the B&W sound.

Kevin

Man, everyone RAVES about those Pioneers, don't they? I don't need any bookshelf speakers right now, but I've been half tempted to get a pair just to see what all the fuss is about.

You should have read the rave reviews of the previous model. You would have thought they were tower speakers. :)

Yeah, I actually was referring to the previous model. Hadn't noticed your link was to the new ones. I think Guttenberg might have been the first to gush over them, but then the flood gates opened.

I bought mine from Cadence/North Country also, along the rest of my 1st stereo, right around 1986 or 7. Still using the same turntable but everything else has been changed out. The guy who designed the Synthesis speakers, David Fokos, went on to found his own speaker company that was direct marketed. That only lasted a few years. Now he is a, as far as I can tell, successful photographer.

• 1 month later...

I got a pair of Bowers and Wilkins 686. They were discontinued and $400 instead of $550. Perfect compromise between size and sound. Thanks all for the recommendations.

good prize for sure - and this speaker likely will meet yout expectations regarding bass volume (in relation in size).....

I also learned that the "tape out" and "tape monitor" features on my two-ton Pioneer amplifier will power a subwoofer if I ever want to boost the bass. Where I would fit the subwoofer is the question...

This is true, but you would have to pick up a Y adapter to sum the left & right channel for the sub. Also, make sure your sub has a built-in crossover because the tape out jacks output the full frequency spectrum.

I also learned that the "tape out" and "tape monitor" features on my two-ton Pioneer amplifier will power a subwoofer if I ever want to boost the bass. Where I would fit the subwoofer is the question...

This is true, but you would have to pick up a Y adapter to sum the left & right channel for the sub. Also, make sure your sub has a built-in crossover because the tape out jacks output the full frequency spectrum.

Do they even make powered subs without crossovers? I've personally never run across one.

Do they even make powered subs without crossovers? I've personally never run across one.

I don't know of one myself but that doesn't mean that they're not out there. :)

Thanks. I know of the Y-adapter trick for mono playback of mono records (before I had an amp with a mono switch).

Hold on, having just re-read the last few comments, Kevin why would he need a Y adapter? If he's running L and R pre amp out, he could just plug the L and R cables into the subwoofer inputs.

It has always stumped me to this day why all sub pre outs on almost all amps and receivers are a mono out, when almost all powered subwoofers have stereo ins. Doesn't make any sense at all.

Hold on, having just re-read the last few comments, Kevin why would he need a Y adapter? If he's running L and R pre amp out, he could just plug the L and R cables into the subwoofer inputs.

It has always stumped me to this day why all sub pre outs on almost all amps and receivers are a mono out, when almost all powered subwoofers have stereo ins. Doesn't make any sense at all.

It's been a while since I've shopped for a sub but back when I did, there were typically stereo line level inputs and a mono RCA input. I see now that many subs offer stereo RCA inputs as well. Cool.

It always surprises me to see so much talk about B&W as I've never warmed to their speakers. I guess I just haven't heard them in the right systems.

I've discovered many believe these "Mid Bass Modules" actually work better than subwoofers in many systems with small speakers:

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/mbm-12.html

It's been a while since I've shopped for a sub but back when I did, there were typically stereo line level inputs and a mono RCA input. I see now that many subs offer stereo RCA inputs as well. Cool.

Ah, OK. My experience has been different as I've never seen a powered sub with a mono RCA input. Odd.

Either way, I still don't get the stereo input as subs are essentially only dealing with non-directional frequencies.

Guess they're in cahoots with cable companies who make Y splitters. ;)

It always surprises me to see so much talk about B&W as I've never warmed to their speakers. I guess I just haven't heard them in the right systems.

I've discovered many believe these "Mid Bass Modules" actually work better than subwoofers in many systems with small speakers:

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/mbm-12.html

B&W tend to be a bit on the bright side, so it doesn't surprise me that you don't care for them. You would likely prefer something from Polk Audio in that particular price range.

That said, IN that price range it's nearly impossible to go wrong with anything as it is such a dominant and competitive market, with the Canadian companies really leading the way.

To be fair I've only auditioned them in store, so they were still tight and new. That may have been where the slight brightness came from.

Good speakers, though. They have a bad wrap amongst some in the community, but I have absolutely no idea why.

Perhaps it's because Best Buy sells them? I dunno...

I concur with the B&W fans, I recommend you buy a pair of used 601s for not much money, like less than $180. (They regularly get posted to Ebay.) The cabs may be too large for your space, in which case I would recommend the NSM 5 (used?) or maybe Role Audio's Skiff. I love small speakers that image like crazy!

I still think the "B&W sound" is well suited to the acoustic bass. It seems to me that it's strength is in the mid-range. I've not found any of my B&W speakers to be overly bright.

Agreed. So far I have played only one album with electric bass. Everything else had acoustic bass, and these speakers delivered low end along with definition. I have the backs close to the wall, which supposedly adds bass. I don't find these speakers overly bright, either. I had the treble cranked - and I don't like too much treble - and it seemed to be just the right amount of high end. The room may play a role.

John Corigliano's Altered States soundtrack sounded AMAZING!

Edited by Teasing the Korean