Criss Cross New Releases

mjzee

• 1 year later...

Glad to see they're still around.  Release date May 15:

On his second Criss Cross record, From Here To Here, guitar master David Gilmore picks up where he left off on his well-received 2017 label debut, Transitions (Criss 1393). Here, joined by a quartet of New York all-stars comprising pianist Luis Perdomo, bassist Brad Jones, and drummer E.J. Strickland, Gilmore navigates 8 recently-penned originals as well as Sam Rivers' Cyclic Episodes and the Bill Evans-Jim Hall classic Interplay. Throughout the proceedings, Gilmore unfailingly displays virtuosic technical and conceptual chops, exhaustive harmonic knowledge, melodic gifts, luminous sound, and sense of focus and proportion. These qualities made him an indispensable sideman several decades ago during long-term engagements with Steve Coleman and Wayne Shorter -- they've only developed and evolved over time.

518Wg9L1ebL.jpg

• 1 year later...

Release date August 20:

61jYTtyi-aS._SL1203_.jpg71am2%2BcC6gS._SL1200_.jpg

Donald Edwards Quintet with Donald Edwards on drums, Anthony Wonsey on piano, Ben Wolfe on bass, David Gilmore on guitar and Abraham Burton on tenor saxophone. Guest appearances by Sophia Edwards (vocals on track 1 and Frank Lacy (vocals on tracks 2 - 8). All compositions and arrangements by Donald Edwards. The album was recorded January 31, 2020 at the Samurai Hotel Recording Studio and mixed and mastered by Mike Marciano at the Systems Two Recording Studios. The album The Color of US Suite is the second Criss Cross Jazz release after the death of former owner Gerry Teekens Sr. Tracks: 1. Little Hopes [2:24], 2. Red [5:32], 3. White [6:55], 4. Blue [5:06], 5. Intro To Black [2:11], 6. Black [9:46], 7. Brown [4:15], 8. Tan [3:24], 9. Finding Beauty [7:22], 10. Hurricane Sophia [8:20]

• 9 months later...

Release date June 3:

61MBm6MtkYL._SL1000_.jpg

61Xv3BhfqdL._SL1200_.jpg

With Swing On This, the all-star quintet Opus 5 presents its fifth Criss Cross album, and first since 2015, when Criss-Cross released Tickle [Criss 1383), which itself was preceded - in backwards chronology - by Progression [Criss 1369], Pentasonic [Criss 1351], and Introducing Opus 5 [Criss 1339], each recorded a year apart. The 'all star' sobriquet is not an exaggeration - the collective discographies of trumpeter Alex Sipiagin, tenor saxophonist Seamus Blake, pianist David Kikoski, bassist Boris Kozlov, and drummer Donald Edwards, all international first-callers, total more than 30 Criss Cross leader dates. The Album was recorded September 7, 2021 at the Samurai Hotel Recording Studio in NY. Recording engineer Mike Marciano who also did the editing, mixing and mastering at Systems Two in NY. Tracks: 1. Swing On This [4:39] 2. Pythagoras [7:41] 3. Moonbay [7:17] 4. Fermata [10:58] 5. Finger Painted Swing [8:44] 6. Sight Vision [6:19] 7. The Great Divide [5:49] 8. In Case You Missed It [8:34]

• 4 months later...

Release date October 7:

612FPAltxqL._SL1200_.jpg

61rzH9UeoYL._SL1200_.jpg

With Sky Continuous, Downbeat Critics Poll Winner 2022 (Rising Star Alto Sax) Noah Preminger, presents his 3rd album as a leader for Criss Cross. Sky Continuous is an exceptionally compelling trio recital with bass virtuoso Kim Cass, who has performed on 10 of Preminger's 11 prior albums (including Criss Cross releases Genuinity and After Life) and drumset Bill Stewart, who had never before shared a bandstand with Preminger. The music, which includes eight Preminger originals, is logically structured but adventurous and open - ended. The Album was recorded November 9, 2021 at the Samurai Hotel Recording Studio in NY. Recording engineer Mike Marciano also did the editing, mixing and mastering at Systems Two in NY.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Release date October 20:

719vJZuPt9L._SL1500_.jpg

By titling his eighth Criss Cross album Over Here!, trumpeter Jim Rotondi picks up on the sentiments he signified with The Move, his seventh for the label. "It doesn't necessarily mean moving somewhere else, but rather returning home, playing tunes with a lot of straight-ahead swing and interesting chord sequences with guys I'm comfortable with, " Rotondi stated in the liner notes I wrote for that kinetic 2009 recital. The Album was recorded May 10, 2023 at the Artesuono Recording Studio in Udine (Italy). Recording engineer Mike Marciano did the editing, mixing and mastering at Systems Two in NY. Photography by Mauro Cionci

• 1 month later...

Release date November 3:

71+luov3XUL._SL1500_.jpg

In 2021 Criss Cross owner Jerry Teekens called to ascertain Lund's interest in making another album. For Lund, 45 when the Most Peculiar session transpired in June 2022, the offer was an opportunity to reunite with a band he launched in 2014. Pianist Sullivan Fortner (35) and drummer Tyshawn Sorey (41), both among the most gifted practitioners ever to improvise on their respective instruments, contributed their unique mojo to Lund's 2019 Criss-Cross release, Terrible Animals. Virtuoso bassist Matt Brewer (39), played on Lund's first leader date in 2006, had Lund play guitar on his own Criss Cross debut (Mythology-Criss 1373), and recently played on a Lund trio covers recital. The Album was recorded June 17, 2022 at the Samurai Hotel Recording Studio in Astoria, New York. Recording engineer Mike Marciano also did the editing, mixing and mastering at Systems Two Studio in New York. 

Curious about the Lund album... I didn't like Terrible Animals that much but apparently Melissa Aldiana liked it so much she got Lund/Fortner to play on her own 2022 album to recreate the sound... And that album I like a lot, one of my most played recent jazz albums....

• 2 months later...

Release date March 22:

71XnyCUiqTL._SL1500_.jpg

"This was a dream band to write for and play with," alto saxophonist Michael Thomas says of Manuel Valera, Matt Brewer and Obed Calvaire, his A-list rhythm section on Illusion of Choice, his Criss Cross debut, and fourth leader album. "These musicians can play any style and sound like it's the only thing they play. I wanted to explore these different areas and cohere them into an album, not sound like tunes stuck together for a CD. Everything was on the table. I wasn't afraid to develop whatever ideas I came up with, and see where they went."

I feel like there should be a thread, similar to the Modern / Avant thread, for discussion of recent releases in whatever genre Crisis Cross, Smoke Sessions, modern Steeplechase, HighNote, Cellar, etc. cater for (i.e. recent hard bop genre work releases; as distinct from 'modern' takes on the bop tradition, the new sorts of hybrid styles, or the current taste for retro-spiritual jazz, that together seem to constitute the current jazz critical mainstream). 

It's not really my world, but I do find that I enjoy the releases that come up here about or almost as much as I enjoy recent music coming from Jazz's and Improvised Music's other reliable networks / pipelines.

Edited by Rabshakeh

On 10/23/2023 at 12:52 AM, Niko said:

Curious about the Lund album... I didn't like Terrible Animals that much but apparently Melissa Aldiana liked it so much she got Lund/Fortner to play on her own 2022 album to recreate the sound... And that album I like a lot, one of my most played recent jazz albums....

Could be the horn making it palatable. Streaming this new one and maybe it’s just me, but like Terrible Animals it fails to rise above pleasant background music. 

I tend to agree, like the Aldana album much more than those two Lund albums... Heard Aldana's group live this weekend actually, quartet without piano, Lund was outstanding... and she mentioned the next album of her music with Lund would come out in April

Edited by Niko

• 2 months later...

Uncertain about the release date:

71+HLcofpWL._SL1500_.jpg

Lovabye follows Groover's formidable first full-length album, Negro Spiritual Songbook, Vol. 2 (The Message), performed by his excellent Boston band in quartet or quintet configurations, contains Groover's arrangements of, as he then wrote, "Black America's praise music through jazz's evolving language to produce a radical theology that connects you to a higher power, ". Recorded in August 2019, it was released two years later, as society unwound from the Covid-19 pandemic. During the lockdown, Groover had generated a group of "love songs and songs of people I love." In spring 2023, he brought this music to Walter Smith III, who Groover had idolized as a teenager, and is now his friend and colleague at Berklee School of Music, their mutual alma mater, where Groover serves as Assistant Chair of the Ensemble Department. "I told Walter I'd like to play with some of my other heroes and peers, " Groover recalls. "He said, 'What's stopping you? The music is there.' Luckily for me, everyone who I wanted to record with was available and happy to do it." The Album was recorded August 16, 2023 at the GSI Studios, NYC. Producer Walter Smith III. Recording engineer Chris Allen. Sound engineer Mike Marciano did the mixing and mastering at Systems Two in NYC. Photography by Saito Ogata.