Columbia Records Modern American Music/Music of Our Time Series

I can't provide a discography but I can add a coda to the recording of Elliott Carter's First Quartet. The violist in the Walden Quartet, which was in residence at the University of Illinois, was John Garvey, an influential figure, unique personality and force of nature, who dropped out of school to go on the road with the Jan Savitt Orchestra in the '40s, and would eventually found the U of I jazz band in the late '50s and lead it to glory, particularly in the late '60s and '70s. He also conducted (and recorded) music by Harry Partch in the '60s and later he would buy a complete orchestra of balalaikas on his world travels so he could start a Russian Folk Orchestra. I played second alto in John's jazz band in 1983-85 and learned to play (barely) enough alto balalaika (a boom-chick rhythm instrument) to do a stint in the Russian Orchestra.

John used to say that Carter's First Quartet was the first piece of music you couldn't sight read and tell if it was any good or not; you actually had to learn it in order to decide if it was good. In 1998 I spent half a day with Carter for a story and he had very fond memories of the Walden Quartet. Carter sent the piece unsolicited to a bunch of quartets. The Walden was the only one who wrote back to say they'd play it.

Edited by Mark Stryker

• 2 years later...