Mosaic Rosemary Clooney set coming out this summer

I remember that many years ago Coleman Hawkins picked a Clooney-Crosby Lp as one of his favorites. I had owned it for some reason as a kid and really liked it, so his accolades for it reassured me that I wasn't nuts. However it' still the only record I have of either of them except for the Ellington/Strayhorn/Clooney.

I loved her records for Concord, which were much later ('70's - '90's). She had a great sense of swing, unerring taste, and a nice way with a lyric. I haven't paid attention to her earlier stuff; heard the Ellington date once and thought it was pleasant. I wonder whether Mosaic picked this because the material will be revelatory in some way.

I wonder whether Mosaic picked this because the material will be revelatory in some way.

Could be. If it's like the Crosby -- standards with a jazz group -- it will be a useful corrective to her commercial work of the Fifties, which was scuppered by Mitch Miller's song choices.

Hi all. I'm not directly involved with this set like I am with the Armstrong one (by the way, the warehouse officially has booklets, CDs and boxes so it looks like a June 7 ship date!) but I know from Robert Bader of Bing Crosby Enterprises that yes, this is going to be similar in concept to the Bing Mosaic, a batch of radio transcriptions featuring Clooney with a jazz backing. Should be a great set if you like Rosie! The Crosby estate now represents Clooney as well and Bing's basement apparently contains pristine copies of all of their 1950s radio shows, together and separate. In fact, Robert produced a 2-CD set of Bing and Rosie radio duets just last year:

http://www.amazon.com/Bing-Rosie-Crosby-Clooney-Radio-Sessions/dp/B00BCV3IE6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400720843&sr=8-1&keywords=bing+rosie

Ricky

I loved her records for Concord, which were much later ('70's - '90's). She had a great sense of swing, unerring taste, and a nice way with a lyric. I haven't paid attention to her earlier stuff; heard the Ellington date once and thought it was pleasant. I wonder whether Mosaic picked this because the material will be revelatory in some way.

The Cole Porter is a favorite. Nice band with Nat Pierce, Warren Vache, Cal Tjader.

It's a meh for me also, that said business wise it probably makes sense

Would it, though? I doubt that these days Rosemary Clooney has much more of a following than Anthony Braxton. It's not like it's a Mosaic of Miley Cyrus or somebody. I imagine the motivation is the usual one: artistic.

It's a meh for me also, that said business wise it probably makes sense

Would it, though? I doubt that these days Rosemary Clooney has much more of a following than Anthony Braxton. It's not like it's a Mosaic of Miley Cyrus or somebody. I imagine the motivation is the usual one: artistic.

I have no proof except my gut feeling that usually vocalists fare better in terms of selling , especially those who have a bit of fame , I do agree though that for a high priced box set the impact should be less.

No real interest in this set, but she was a damn good singer, period, and I bet it's going to be nothing but a bunch of good songs well sung.

But not this, please. No innocence with cereal in its ear. This record was in the house growing up and thinking that this was what I was there for creeped me out. On the other hand, hey, adopted, I was, so...ok, I get it. just not THIS, ok?

OTOH, Love is one of the greatest records anybody ever made of songs, period. The woman could sing when not interfered with, and the impression is given that it was a long time into her life before she was not interfered with. Props to her for keeping it on the road until the road cleared up, not everybody does.

Like I said, no real interest in this set myself, but I can totally understand why its being done, have every expectation that it will be damn good, and I hope it sells out before I do get the urge for it.