Mosaic Rosemary Clooney set coming out this summer

It's a meh for me also, that said business wise it probably makes sense

Would it, though? I doubt that these days Rosemary Clooney has much more of a following than Anthony Braxton. It's not like it's a Mosaic of Miley Cyrus or somebody. I imagine the motivation is the usual one: artistic.

I'm inclined to agree. Mosaic are very effective at producing sets which provoke/enable critical re-evaluation of an often underestimated artist and I suspect that this set might be one of those. It also seems to be in line with their well-established 'mission' to produce high-quality vocal-oriented sets - Four Freshmen, Mildred, Dinah, Vaughan, Mercer etc.

Edited by sidewinder

I guess I'm an absolute die-hard Rosemary Clooney fan. She was just a marvelous interpreter of American songs. She had a wonderful, warm voice, but came of age in an era when wonderful female pop vocalists were practically a dime a dozen with Jo Stafford, Peggy Lee, Kay Starr, Margaret Whiting, Jeri Southern, Patti Page, Keely Smith, Georgia Gibbs and others were regularly hitting the charts. While I love all of those singers, Peggy Lee and Rosemary Clooney were probably my 2 favorites. Their voices and styles really connected with me.

I have all of her Concord recordings. As far as I am concerned, her voice was quite good up until the final few albums where things did become a little rougher at times. That said, she was still one of the greatest singers around, much like Tony Bennett is today. Mr. Bennett's voice nowadays is not what it once was, but he has such an understanding of what he is doing and of the material he is presenting, that his interpretive abilities make up for any lack in his vocal abilities (some would argue -- I haven't really paid much attention to his recordings of the past 10 years or so).

I look forward to this Mosaic set. How much?

http://youtu.be/iodCc2zR-io

• 1 month later...

oooohhhh....I hope this one stays in print for a while, because the ratio of songs I haven't yet tired of hearing with lyrics (the key difference, with lyrics) to the ones I either have or just don't care about, period, is, from a cursory glance at the track list is about 60/40, and if I ever get motivated to really get into those songs at that level again, Rosemary Clooney with this straightforward of a backing seems like a damn good way to do it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I love her recording of (that silly but upbeat tune) "Lovely Weather for Ducks", backed by the wonderful T. Dorsey band.
I have that one on some odd (Tommy Dorsey & His Orchestra, "Song of India", Dance Band Days, Prism/Leisure 1987) Dorsey radio transcriptions CD that I bought ages ago.
I was never able to find it in better sound although I have tried many times.

Totally silly, I know, but one of my favorite songs in my entire collection.

:)