Album Covers with Surrealist Art

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems to me that there are several rather different styles displayed here, presumably they all have their own (sub)genre designation, no?

Agreed. I'm no art expert, but I was thinking that some of the above are more abstractionist than surrealist. Fun gallery, at any rate. :)

Seems to me that there are several rather different styles displayed here, presumably they all have their own (sub)genre designation, no?

Agreed. I'm no art expert, but I was thinking that some of the above are more abstractionist than surrealist. Fun gallery, at any rate. :)

I would say that most of what has been posted so far would qualify as "surrealist." Of course, the lines between genres are never firm.

I count only three images that may be described as "abstractionist." Everything else is representational.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

Agree with TTK. Non-representational covers need their own thread maybe (;)) while 'abstract' really implies the notion of 'abstraction from a representation' so is maybe a third thing. Surrealism is a fairly strict genre based on realism (super-realism) and incongruous juxtaposition, but we are just having fun here...

Front-1.jpg

seven_dreams2.jpg

Jim Flora Art

Lots of Jim Flora art could be categorized as cartoon surrealism. Too many to post here, so here is a link:

http://jimflora.com

Richard Powers provided the cover art for many sic-fi paperbacks during the postwar era, and while he apparently didn't like his art to be labeled as surrealist, it certainly fits the category by most yardsticks. He didn't do many album covers, but this one is a gem. The music is by Dominic Frontiere, famous for composing music for The Outer Limits, and it is very much in a Les Baxter bag.

pagan+festival.jpg