Fathers' Day Promo (2015) at Mosaic - Free/Discounted Shipping

Is the sound on the Shaw set improved over the 32 jazz releases as one review claims?

Can't say definitavely, but anything is better than that aweful 32 Jazz packaging and proprietary jewel-box (if you can even call it that) design.

Woody's one of my all-time top-5 favorite jazz artists, so given how crappy the 32 Jazz issues were, I "never didn't" consider upgrading to the Mosaic.

Duke Ellington 1932-1940 = $159 x 10% = $15.90 = A full day's food for me.

Yeah, anyone who can spend $160 on a bunch of CDs can feed himself. But if I can save $16 on something I was going to buy anyway, we're just talking about free money for an adjustment in timing.

And if you don't think timing is important, wait a while until that set is on eBay for $300.

I'm not really arguing your valid point about meagre discounts here. But I don't see it as a buy/don't buy question. Just timing.

Is the sound on the Shaw set improved over the 32 jazz releases as one review claims?

anyone? I already have a fair amount of what's in the box but if the SQ is improved will take the plunge

In my opinon, yes. . .but that doesn't make them sonic spectaculars. They're not the greatest original recordings. But they are mastered well here.

Re: 10% discounts, it doesn't make a huge difference -- but I usually don't buy much from Mosaic except about once every 2 or 3 (or even 4) years.

Either something I really want is about to go OOP, or there'll be a sale (or maybe both at the same time!!).

And then I'll drop like $500 or even $600 for several sets (literally everything I want that they have in stock at that time - to also save on shipping).

My purchase history with them is exactly like that -- nothing for years at a time, and then-- BAM -- I'll drop like $600 because of a sale (saving $60 plus maybe another $10 on shipping, as compared to if I'd bought the same total amount of stuff over several shipments).

I know 10% isn't a lot, but I'm sure I've saved a couple hundred dollars over the years by waiting until a sale, and then going hog-wild.

The way I look at it, I'd rather pay 10% less for everything I buy. So when Mosaic has one of their 10% sales I try to take advantage. I sort of equates to free shipping (in the US). I've never figured it out but, like Rooster above, I'll bet I've saved enough to have equated to 1 or 2 free sets. To me, with US shipping rates, it makes sense.

BTW, I ordered the Coleman Hawkins set.

Edited by Ed Swinnich

If nothing else, for a multi-set order it means I effectively get free or near-free international shipping when one of these deals comes along and then its just a case of selecting from the Mosaic wishlist. Sounds good to me !

The Jamal is now 5-6 years in and must be coming up to end of licence so that got priority. As for the Shaw, I'm with Rooster.

Edited by sidewinder

My wait until a sale (or something going OOP) method -- and then buy EVERYTHING currently in print that I think I could ever really want has served me pretty well in one other respect...

I never missed out on many (any?) of the Selects I wanted when something like a dozen or more were suddenly unavailable forever, overnight, with practically no warning at all.

I remember one of my biggest "binge" purchases ever included something like 6 or maybe even 8 Select sets (all in the same order!) -- when I finally had a good reason to buy (a sale, or just one thing I wanted going on the "Last Chance" list).

Wasn't forward thinking on my part or anything, just dumb luck actually. Needless to say I was pretty relieved I had everything I really wanted when all those Selects disappeared overnight.

• 11 months later...

Free shipping in the US for fathers day:

Father's Day Promotion
Free Shipping!

Available now thru Sunday June 21st.

Free Shipping In The U.S. For Orders Over $50

For international orders our shipping rates have been reduced by more than 50%.

For Canadian shipments orders up to $200 the shipping charge is only $5 and any size order over $200 is only $10.

I've kind of lost track of what I wanted and didn't want and what I actually ordered. I think I had it narrowed down to the new Louis Armstrong set and probably the Clifford Jordan. The Bee Hive material will have to wait until next sale apparently...