That, I got. And totally am in agreement.

Objectively, though, the guy's 47. Fats Navarro only made it to 26, Sonny Clark to 31, Leo Parker to (almost) 37. Jug made it to 49.

As depressing as addiction is to look at (never mind the hell it is to live with and in), the options for treatment - and attitudes about addiction - are a lot more evolved and nuanced - evolved - than they used to be. Art Pepper made it to 56, Frank Morgan went to 73!

And just remember - for every Roy Hargrove, who was blessed with an innate talent and a structural social system that recognized it and developed it, there's a buttload (at least) more of kids who have that much (at least) innate talent, no structural system that recognizes and develops it, and a cannibalistic environment that both blocks and tackles with an extreme, lustful vengeance.

This kid here, he got lucky, somehow. And don't think he don't know it.

NY-AL621_ROLLIN_G_20100902173022.jpg  

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strange, somehow I had that impressions, that the younger generation, those who became famous in the 80´s and so on, were that kind of clean generation. I think, even Art Blakey who had his own stories with harmful stuff, said about the youngsters who played with him  that they don´t even drink anything else but orange juice , and that drug´s totally out of fashion.

As I thought it, the so called young lions, those like Wynton Marsalis, Donald Harrison and that other trumpet player who played with Bu, don´t know his name now, and Roy, and Wallace Rooney and all of em, that they are that healthy generation .

Imagine: Until I saw him for the last time towards the end of his live, I didn´t even know that Woody Shaw was a user, he looked to me like that clean cat, the new generation, who was the next step after Fats, Miles, Lee Morgan, without them their habit. Like the album covers like Woody III, you see him   the young star, his little boy, his father  - and say wow what a big trumpet- star, but also a  clean family man, that´s what I thought, and  I was quite shocked when I heard that drugs had made him sick.

8 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Strange, somehow I had that impressions, that the younger generation, those who became famous in the 80´s and so on, were that kind of clean generation. I think, even Art Blakey who had his own stories with harmful stuff, said about the youngsters who played with him  that they don´t even drink anything else but orange juice , and that drug´s totally out of fashion.

As I thought it, the so called young lions, those like Wynton Marsalis, Donald Harrison and that other trumpet player who played with Bu, don´t know his name now, and Roy, and Wallace Rooney and all of em, that they are that healthy generation .

Imagine: Until I saw him for the last time towards the end of his live, I didn´t even know that Woody Shaw was a user, he looked to me like that clean cat, the new generation, who was the next step after Fats, Miles, Lee Morgan, without them their habit. Like the album covers like Woody III, you see him   the young star, his little boy, his father  - and say wow what a big trumpet- star, but also a  clean family man, that´s what I thought, and  I was quite shocked when I heard that drugs had made him sick.

I think you mean Terence Blanchard.

Roy Hargrove is from Dallas and used to play around here fairly often, but it's been a long time.

I'd like to hear the recording the Caravan of Dreams made of the weekend engagement in 1988 where David Newman led a group with Roy on trumpet, plus Larry Willis, Walter Booker and Idris Mohammad. I recollect attending two nights. 

• 1 year later...
On 4/4/2017 at 2:32 PM, Kevin Bresnahan said:

When I posted about Roy's recent trouble here in Boston, it was not about "Don't Mainline And Drive". It was about "Don't Mainline And Die". From what my friend saw, he's not doing well along these lines. I hope we aren't reading his obit soon.

I am reading on Facebook that we will be reading Roy's obituary soon. Bums me out. I've seen him so many times, I've lost count. Terrible tragedy if true.

This is so frustrating... so many people are saying that Roy Hargrove's drug problem was common knowledge. He was even arrested for it. Did he ever get help? Did his drug use cause his kidneys to fail? Did his drug use cause the cardiac arrest that killed him? Could this have been prevented? So many unanswered questions.

I am so bummed out about this. I was so hoping he was going to be around for a long time. There's another hole in my Jazz calendar and it sucks.

11 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Did his drug use cause his kidneys to fail? Did his drug use cause the cardiac arrest that killed him? Could this have been prevented? 

It couldn't have helped!

Of course it could have been prevented.

• 3 weeks later...

It was beyond frustrating watching Roy's demise over the years. I first saw him at Scullers in Boston in the late 90's when he was tearing it up and followed him ever since. It wasn't until I saw him at the blue note 4 years ago that I realized the toll years of drug use had taken on him. I used to wonder why no one ever threw him in a back of van and took him out to the country to get clean and healthy before his kidneys took a turn for the worse. If you read up enough on Roy you discover some tried to help and that he had been using since high school days. I couldn't understand why he was hanging out after hours at late night jams with local musicians over the past few years instead of getting rest and recuperation. Perhaps he knew his time was up and wanted to go down swinging.I only wish he could have stayed clean and continued on in later years as Wynton has done - would have been a joy to see all Roy could have continued to accomplish with his great talent. R.I.P. Young Lion.

Edited by Sticks n tones