Nice guy musicians

medjuck

Clark Terry (who should be listed in the dictionary under "nice guy")

:tup:tup:tup I'm with you, Duaneiac... Can't believe it took this long to have CT's name turn up.

I did a daily jazz radio gig for 37 years, and of course met and talked with hundreds of guys, the vast majority of whom were good to be with. Some, for their warmth, others for their smarts and wit (and sometimes even "meanness"), as we all like gossip...

But the guy who was always welcome at my house was Clark, whom I remember best sitting on the floor with my two-year old daughter, talking about their imaginary friends: hers, 'Boobah', his, 'Pickles'. Clark did her the honour of letting Pickles stay at our house for vacations. I think he's still here, at least in her heart.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(...)

and should mention Jeff Crompton ... Here on Organissimo we tend to take our own for granted.

Seconded. I met Jeff at the Pensacola jazz fest recently. A real Southern gentleman.

And though I've not met Allen Lowe, he kindly made the effort to track down my phone number and then called me out of the blue when I was going through a nasty health issue to express his concern. A very kind gesture that places him squarely in the "nice guy' column.

I haven't met a lot of musicians, but those I have I recall as being almost universally gracious. If you're interested in them or their music, they appreciate it.

William Parker

Nels Cline

Jason Adasiewicz

Matt Wilson

Michael Formanek

Frank Kimbough

Bill Frisell

and a couple of legends (who have not been already mentioned):

Randy Weston

Jim Hall

...just to name a few.

LWayne

Edited by LWayne

(...)

and should mention Jeff Crompton ... Here on Organissimo we tend to take our own for granted.

Seconded. I met Jeff at the Pensacola jazz fest recently. A real Southern gentleman.

Okay, this is just weird. I feel like I need to unleash a string of curses just to restore the balance of the universe.

Two things I find difficult to understand; guys (really?) and it is left for me to post the obvious:

516ThpJsc1L.jpg

(I know you're referring to the caption, but...)

Unfortunately, I never saw/talked to the whole Ensemble. The first time I heard them was when Joseph Jarman was on hiatus (but Bowie was still playing); the second time was after Bowie passed.

I've met, talked to, and interviewed the following musicians over the last 20 years and all of them were very gracious and pleasant to deal with. If I had to pick one that overwhelmed me with warmth and down to earth friendliness it would be Eddie Prevost from AMM. So after Eddie it would be:

Mats Gustafson

Louis Sclavis

John Butcher

Wilbert DeJoode

Han Bennink

Peter Brotzmann

Kenny Wheeler

Barre Phillips

Bobo Stenson

Jon Christensen

Terje Rypdal

Tomasz Stanko

Evan Parker

Oh and a non-jazz friendly musician would be Mark Arm of Mudhoney/Green River who put me on the guest list of a sold out Mudhoney gig because he liked the vintage 1989 Mudhoney shirt I was wearing! I came up to him on the street and introduced myself and he was super cool...no "rock star" attitude whatsoever.

Lord, this thread is making me vaguely jealous. I've never really met a known musician before, or ever seen live jazz for that matter.

That said, it's not really in my character to approach musicians anyways, so even if I were to catch a gig sometime, I doubt I'd say anything, or have anything to say.

I assume the 'guys' of the title is used in the none-gender specific way that under 40s use the term today. Young teachers use the address 'O.K. guys, you need to quieten down now' or 'Excuse me guys but can you not dangle Stephanie out of that window, we are on the third floor.' Whether the audience are guys (in the old sense), gals or both.

Having said that, I don't see many gals.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Over the years I met or talked to many jazz musicians who seemed to be really "nice guys". The warmest and friendliest of them all was Clifford Brown. Others who were very open and friendly were Pee Wee Russell, Henry Red Allen, Tommy Flanagan, Ray Bryant, Tommy Potter, Marian McPartland, Lee Konitz, Donald Byrd, Earl Warren, Sir Charles Thompson, Ralph Sutton, Johnny Guarnieri, Harry Sweets Edison, Johnny Griffin, Ralph Sutton, Jaki Byard, Buddy DeFranco, Sammy Price, Terry Gibbs, Scott Hamilton, and Eddie Lockjaw Davis. Oh, and I mustn't forget B.B.King who turned out to be not only a nice guy but a huge jazz fan. I met B.B. in a record store where he was buying everything from Louis Jordan to John Coltrane. I remember helping him find some fairly obscure Ellington albums.

The only one I met from that list was Johnny Griffin and, yes, he was very easy to talk with. Nowadays it's Greg Abate who has become a good friend on his frequent visits to England. Others have also commented on what a nice guy he is. Of British musicians, Simon Spillett must take the nice guy prize for giving me a couple of albums (not by him) when I said I hadn't heard them!

Edited by BillF

Forgot to mention Kirk Lightsey, John Patitucci, Mike & Kate Westbrook and Alan Ganley. Wayne Shorter seemed friendly but didn't say a lot ! Bud Shank and Howard Rumsey were very amiable too.

Never met Gerald Wilson but judging by his stage manner he must be a very nice person.

Edited by sidewinder

Based on brief conversations I'd give the nod to The Bad Plus as they are all very approachable. David Berkman likewise is a genuinely nice guy. Hope he'll come to town again sometime soon. Oliver Lake and Lee Konitz were both generous with time and encourage to local musicians here.

It's rare to come across grumpy guys in my experience .

Not much of a hobnobber, even when I was writing about music on a regular basis, but I must mention the one name musician I've played with as an exceptionally nice guy: Perry Robinson

and lots of local musicians here in Portland - Dover Weinberg, Carlton Jackson, Jack McMahon, Jackie from Smegma, Jennifer from Sound Sunday Pleasure, Jim Mesi, Steve Bradley, Dave Stewart, Paul Jones, Jan Celt, Peter Ford, etc.; and from the Twin Cities - Scot Fultz, Tim Duroach, all the guys from Straight No Filter and the Pettiford project. And from Saskatoon, Lee Kozak and Bill Richards (now in Edmonton).

Edited by danasgoodstuff

Mary Lou WIlliams, in my one brief conversation, was very relaxed and approachable.

Dizzy, on the phone, once he realized I was not a complete idiot, was very open.

Lenny Tristano scared the hell out of me.

I was too afraid to say anything to Miles; plus, the pants he was wearing looked like a Persian rug.

Based on brief conversations I'd give the nod to The Bad Plus as they are all very approachable. David Berkman likewise is a genuinely nice guy. Hope he'll come to town again sometime soon. Oliver Lake and Lee Konitz were both generous with time and encourage to local musicians here.

It's rare to come across grumpy guys in my experience .

Glad you mentioned David Berkman. Had a chat with him when he was in Southport with the New York Standards Quartet. A very nice guy and, what is more, he knew all about Tubby Hayes!

Bob Cranshaw is a nice guy. Back in 1975, when I was head of my college's jazz concert commission, we booked Sonny Rollins. During the afternoon, after set-up and sound check, Bob asked if I wanted to take a walk with him and show him the campus. We walked and talked for maybe a half hour. He asked me questions about myself, told me about his family, said he lived on Long Island, and said I was always welcome to come visit him. He was really nice to me, a college sophomore, and I think it must extend to others.

god, absolutely- met him twice many years apart, both times awesome. the recent time, i had a real complex question about "Rough 'n Tumble", i needed to know all about how he got an elec. fender bass on a blue note session, and why he didnt brick it back 3 mos later for "Hi Voltage".

I also could tell by his other convo, that he is very proud of the work he did on Sesame St.

Edited by chewy

I assume the 'guys' of the title is used in the none-gender specific way that under 40s use the term today. Young teachers use the address 'O.K. guys, you need to quieten down now' or 'Excuse me guys but can you not dangle Stephanie out of that window, we are on the third floor.' Whether the audience are guys (in the old sense), gals or both.

Having said that, I don't see many gals.

OK, then I feel I must mention Monday Michiru.

I remember her as a very friendly and fun gal when we used to frequent the same small bar in the Roppongi area.

Lenny Tristano scared the hell out of me.

Was present when Lenny Tristano took a BBC interviewer to pieces. (It was Peter Ind who got me in.)

Who was that Bill - Humph, Steve Race?

A bloke from BBC Yorkshire radio with an exaggerated RP accent (Lennie's laid-back hip snarl was a real contrast) and very square, as we used to say in those days. It was at the Harrogate Festival in the later 60s - one of Lennie's very rare visits to the UK. Peter Ind, who was teaching on the pioneer jazz course at Leeds College of Music, was behind the whole thing. One of my great jazz moments, I suppose. Thinking about it brings this to mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uo1miqVbfE

Edited by BillF