Stockholm record/CD stores?

GregK

I went by Andra yesterday when I had an unexpected free hour in the afternoon. That doesn't happen often with two small children at home (I'm currently on paternity leave). Sure enough Mats Gustafsson was in the shop - apparently he's currently on tour in Sweden - and the owner was in a jovial mood. When I entered Mats had just auditioned a copy of Herbie Hancock's 'The Prisoner', original Liberty pressing, but found it (the music, I presume) "no good".

Even before I got to the shop I had decided to look for Gil Evans' LP only 1970 album on Ampex records. That title has kept me curious for 25 years but I've never knowingly come across it or actively sought it out. In high school there was this guy who knew both jazz history and the then current scene. He went to another college, but I used to run into him once or twice a year. When I was 16 years old and getting into jazz (from Peter Nero through Oscar Peterson to Red Garland) he told me "You should listen to Miles Davis' album 'Kind of Blue'". I did that and it had an enormous impact on me. A year later he told me "You should listen to some Gil Evans. Try 'The Individualism of Gil Evans'". I did that and I'm very thankful for where it led me. In the CD liner notes for 'Individualism' the Ampex album is mentioned as something GIl never would want to see released again as it consisted of orchestral sketches not fully realized or something to that effect. Naturally it made me curious. So yesterday I walked into the store, found a mint copy for not much money and brought it home. It bears repeating - Andra is great!

Edited by Daniel A

• 7 months later...