BFT122 The answers

Part 1

1 Afro-Blues Quintet Plus 1 - 3 /4-5/4-7/2 (liquid landscape). From the album New directions Mira LP(S)3010.

229353.JPG

Probably Joseph DeAguero (ldr, vib, tamb), Jack Fulks (saxes), Bill Henderson (pno, b, d, fl, vib), Bill Fitch (perc), Jim Kellner (d). Unknown location (but almost certainly Los Angeles) 1966.

This is a band thats relatively unknown in jazz circles, but the players are by no means unknown. Jack Fulks is a former Chico Hamilton sideman. Bill Henderson had been with Terry Gibbs and was later with Pharoah Sanders. Bill Fitch had done time with Tito Puente and Cal Tjader. And Jim Kellner had been with Gary Lewis & the Playboys! (HUH? Oh well.)

This is apparently the same band that played on the final track of the BFT.

2 Gloria Lynne - The secret o life. From the album From my heart to yours HighNote HCD7162.

MI0002170512.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Gloria Lynne (vcl) acc by David "Fathead" Newman (fl) John DiMartino (p) Greg Skaff (g) Leon Lee Dorsey (b) Vincent Ector (d) P.J. Allen (tamb). New York, January 11 & 12, 2007.

This was from Glorias last album. She was a great singer and, in my view, got better throughout her life. She was 77 when this album was done. I think she understood this song in a way I find it difficult to believe that James Taylor could have done.

3 Lionel Hampton - Recado. From the album Bossa nova jazz Gladhamp GHLP1004.

Hamp-bossa-Cover.jpg

Bobby Plater (bar) Lionel Hampton (vib) Edwin Woldin (p) Jose Paulo (g) Lawrence "Skinny" Burgan (b) Don Michaels (d) Danny Barrajanos (cga). New York, September/October 1963.

An album to cash in on the bossa nova craze, which has never been reissued on CD. The whole LP is really nice and has what sounds to me like an authentic feel to it, to which Carmen Costas vocals on some tracks contribute greatly. Bobby Plater was with Hamp forever, but didnt usually play baritone sax. His playing really got me on this.

4 El Chicano - Youd be so nice to come home to. From the album Painting the moment Thump TH9903.

11586034_120706135451.jpg

Bobby Espinosa (synth, p, kbds, org), Hector "Rudy" Regalado (perc, timbales), Tony Rosa (cga), Lance Lee (d), Sal Rodriguez (d), Cleto Escobedo (as), José Papo Rodríguez (cga, timbales), Robertito Melendez (cga), George Lopez (b), Bruce Conte (g), Mickey Lespron (g), Bobby Loya (tp). Probably LA, c1998.

This tune was mistitled Inolvidable (Unforgettable) on the album, which makes it hard to search for on the web. And yeah, this is a Tex/Mex version of smooth jazz. Sometimes smooth jazz is worthwhile music and I reckon this is at least as good as Wes Montgomerys smooth jazz albums for Creed Taylor.

5 Momo Wandel Soumah - Afro blue. From the album Momo le doyen Buda 860221.

momo-wandel-soumah-doyen-guinea-conakry-

Momo Wandel Soumah (saxes), Mamady Mansare (fl), Khali Camara (balafon), Fatou Abou Camara (djembe). Probably Paris, 1995.

Momo was one of the great sax players of the Guinean big band period of the seventies and eighties. He played with Orchestre Syli and later with Keletigui et ses Tambourinis, and made a few 45s as a leader, all for Syliphone. He had recorded Afro blue before, on his 1991 album Matchowe but that version which is seven and a half minutes long, is much more a blowing job than this, which seems to paint pictures as it may well have been intended to for the film L'Enfant Noir. (That version features the same musicians as this, with a couple of additional guys on various drums.)

6 Johnny Lytle - Mine. From I giganti del jazz Curcio (It) 93.

johnny_lytle-i_giganti_del_jazz-front.jp

Johnny Lytle (vib) Albert Dailey (p,el-p) unknown (b), Chester Thompson (d) Kwasi Jayourba (perc). Probably 1970.

Johnny Lytle seems to fool people. No one got him the last time I put one on a BFT (and I didnt get him when Big Al (I think) included one of his either). Hes a much more interesting musician than most people think.

7 Rex Stewart - Danzon damor. From Rendezvous with Rex Felsted 7001.

064423.jpg

Rex Stewart (cnt), Hilton Jefferson (cl,as), Garvin Bushell (cl,bassoon), Dick Cary (p,tp), Everett Barksdale (g), Joe Benjamin (b), Mickey Sheen (d). New York, 31 January 1958

A few of you got the idea that these were older musicians. Well, yes they are. But I doubt that, in early 1958, thered have been any Sun Ra influence on these gentlemen. I was gobsmacked when I got the Felsted box and heard this cut. But quite apart from the coincidental resemblance to some Sun Ra elements, this is, to me, an utterly charming piece of music.

8 Joe Torres - Get out of my way. From Latino con soul World Pacific WP1857.

joe-torres-latino-con-soul-front.JPG

Gary Barone (tp), Bill Hood (ts), Victor Feldman (p), Max Bennett (b), Jose Torres (timbales), Bobby Torres, Orlando Lopez, Mario Tholmer (perc), Ric DeSilva (vcl). Los Angeles, late 1966/early 1967.

Well, some well-known names in this Latin band, too. I imagine the LP sold quite well in LA and even elsewhere in California, but bombed everywhere else, so they never made another album. A pity, because theyre a very jumpin band. I wondered if anyone would pick up on Hoods very Harold Vick-like intro, but that didnt confuse anyone. Oh well

I never knew this was in a film some years ago. So it's not as obscure as I thought. Thanks Page.

Part 2 follows.

MG

9 McKinneys Cotton Pickers - Gee baby, aint I good to you. Victor 38097. From Put it there Frog DGF25.

MI0002519094.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Joe Smith, Leonard Davis, Sidney DeParis (tp), Claude Jones (tb), Don Redman (as,vcl,arr), Benny Carter (as), Coleman Hawkins, Ted McCord (ts), Leroy Tibbs (p), Dave Wilborn (bj), Billy Taylor, Sr. (tu), Kaiser Marshall (d). New York, 5 November 1929.

As Spoontaneous said, the greatest studio band ever. Well, not quite a studio band; Don Redman and Dave Wilborn were members of the real McKinneys Cotton Pickers; Claude Jones had been, but had left about six months earlier to join Fletcher Henderson and Joe Smith would join the band a bit later. The story is that the band so reliable at filling the Greystone Ballroom in Detroit that the National Amusements Corp which owned the place, refused to let them go to New York, even to record for Victor. So Redman and Wilborn were deputed to make the journey and Redman was to hire appropriate musicians. Of course, he knew most of them from his days with Fletcher Henderson.

The solos are by Benny Carter, Joe Smith (muted) and Sidney De Paris (open) and the vocal is, of course, by Don Redman. I love the way he sings this; its a complete contrast to anyone elses vocal style from that time (I think) and sounds really quite modern. And its a great song, too.

10 Don Braden - Moonglow. From Organic Epicure BK66873.

815ba9c9c6fa915b267c4efd7693d49d.jpg

Don Braden (ts), Russell Malone (g). New York, 21/22 September & 20 December 1994.

One look at the personnel of this album, which includes David Newman, Jack McDuff, Larry Goldings, Cecil Brooks III and Winard Harper, was enough to secure a purchase. But its possibly the most disappointing album Ive ever bought. The sleeve notes give the game away. Joel Dorn, the producer, noted that Braden spent a couple of months swotting up on classic tenor/organ albums and consulted Bob Porter on the subject. Braden, in his own note, says that he was trying to get a party plus intelligence sound.

Do what!?!?!?!?

Well, anyway, he succeeded. But this track, Moonglow is rather lovely, which goes to show that even an arsehole can make a good record.

11 Teddy Edwards - Tango in Harlem. From Tango in Harlem, Verve 527468.

0000501250_500.jpg

Teddy Edwards (ts), Christian McBride (b), Billy Higgins (d). New York 21-23 December 1994.

I just thought Id put something really good on next. Surprised no one got Teddy.

12 Billy Butler - Night life. From Night life Prestige PR7854.

rekord.19032.jpg

Jesse Powell (ts), Johnny "Hammond" Smith (org), Billy Butler (g), Bob Bushnell (el-b), Jimmy Johnson (d). New York, 21 December, 1970.

Billy Butler was a well known master guitarist who is seriously underrated typecast by Honky tonk I guess. Jesse Powell is a little known Texas tenor player whos also underrated, though because hes not well known. Johnny Hammond Smith was the greatest player of ballads on the B3. And this track is perfect of its kind.

Jim and Jim would have got this one immediately.

13 Groove Holmes & Les McCann - Carma. From Somethin special, Pacific Jazz PJ51.

1374141536_folder.jpg

Clifford Scott (ts) (credited as Joe Splink), Richard "Groove" Holmes (org), Les McCann (p), Joe Pass (g), Ron Jefferson (d). Los Angeles, April 1962.

Clifford Scott is another really seriously underrated player; another one typecast by Honky tonk. Joe Pass, in my view, is a seriously overrated player. He really only sounds happy working with people like Holmes and McCann.

This is a Les McCann tune (as are all the others on the album) in Bebop style. It sounds to me as if Les borrowed it from part of a Sonny Stitt solo; it has that patented Stitt flow. Unlike Bradens attempt to create party plus intelligence this is the other way around Bebop for parties. Of course, I greatly approve.

14 Shirley Scott - The shadows of Paris. From Great Scott! Impulse AS67.

Great_Scott!!_(album).jpg

Jerry Kail, Jimmy Nottingham, Snooky Young, Joe Wilder (tp), Urbie Green, Quentin Jackson, Willie Dennis, Tony Struda (tb), Bob Ashton, Romeo Penque (reeds), Shirley Scott (org), Barry Galbraith (g), George Duvivier (b), Johnny Pacheco, Willie Rodriguez, Osie Johnson (perc), Lillian Clark, Jerome Graff (vcl), Oliver Nelson (arr,dir). New York, 20 May 1964.

Someone said who would think of putting all this stuff together? Well, there you are, Oliver Nelson. Id listened to this a few times before it really grabbed me, partly, I think, because I just assumed it was Shirley singing lead. Well, it aint, its Lillian Clark, whoever she is. Shirleys solo is beautifully clear and thoughtful and right in the vein of whats supposed to be happening here, whatever that is. I cant say I actually understand whats going on, it just grabs me.

Part 3 follows

MG

15 Willie Bobo - The thrill is gone. From Do what you want to do Sussex SXBS7003.

Gents%2BDo%2BWhat%2BYou%2BWant%2BTo%2BDo

Steve Hufstetter (tpt, flg), Ron Starr (ts), Reggie Andrews (el p), Barry Zweig (g), Victor Pantoja (cga), Willie Bobo (timbales), Jimmy Smith (d). LA c 1971.

Well, yet another Willie Bobo on the BFT. No reason, but Mr Starrs solo is just splendid. He is the guy at the far right edge of the cover photo.

16 Fats Domino - Dreaming. Imperial 5209. Taken from The early Imperial singles Ace CDCHD597.

FatsDominoTheEarlyIm.jpg

I forget who said theyd heard enough Fats Domino style triplets; obviously he hadnt heard enough to recognise the real thing.

I just put it in because I like it.

15 Afro-Blues Quintet Plus 1 - Evening of the beast. From Afro-Blues today Crestview CRS3054.

The-Afro-Blues-Quintet-Plus-One-The-Afro

This and other tracks from this album are believed to have come from earlier sessions, so the personnel is probably the same as on #1. The tune is, of course, a John Patton number, from the LP Let em roll and shame on everyone who didnt recognise it.

That's the lot. Like to see what you say to some of this.

MG

You lost track of your numbers there MG.

Well the rule about tracks coming from albums listeners own certainly came true this month. I have that Braden album and don't honestly recall any negative reactions - especially since I still have it. But its been years since I've listened to Braden. I definitely plan to slip some of his CDs in the next new batch in the car carrier. Thanks for reminding me about him MG.

I don't own that Shirley Scott LP and frankly that performance didn't make me want to get it.

The Les McCann/Groove Holmes I've had a long time but I'm not sure I would have gotten that track, definitely not a Clifford Scott blowing vehicle ... what is to my eternal shame is missing the Teddy Edwards track, I'm sure that was picked with me in mind and it wasn't all that long ago that I had a bunch of Teddy CDs in the car including that one. :blush:

Thanks MG!

Here are my reactions to the first half of your Blindfold Test--with the rest to follow.

1. I have never even heard of this group before! I know Bill Henderson from Harold Land albums. You have introduced me to something new here!

Drummer Jim Keltner may have played with Gary Lewis and the Playboys, but he has also been on literally thousands of albums. He is one of the most recorded session musicians in history. One of my favorite anecdotes about him-- a young group of today was going to record a cover of John Lennon's "Jealous Guy", from Lennon's 1971 "Imagine" album. They asked Keltner if he knew the song. He said, "yeah, I played on the original."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Keltner

2. I am glad to learn about this Gloria Lynne version. She sings it really well.

I met bassist Leon Lee Dorsey when he was Richard Davis' student assistant at the University of Wisconsin in 1981. He was very promising as a bass player way back then.

This is considered one of James Taylor's better songs. It is still a staple of his live performances, decades after he recorded it.

3. Okay, you blew my mind with this one. I would not have guessed Lionel Hampton in a million years. It just does not sound like something I would have expected him to record.

I had wondered if the acoustic guitar soloist was a famous player who I should know. Now that I see his name, I have never heard of him before.

4. You fooled me totally with this one. I would not have expected this smooth jazz to have come from a Hispanic group of musicians.

5. No wonder I could not place this version of "Afro Blue". This is one of the things I love about your Blindfold Tests, the chance to learn about some great African recordings! I really love this recording.

6. This is stunning to learn about, as I listen to the track again. There is some very prominent organ playing on this song, both funky and in more of the contemporary sound of that time (such as the organ work on "In a Silent Way"). Is it the work of Albert Dailey, listed here on piano and electric piano only? I did not know that Dailey even played the organ! That would mean that there is a whole other dimension to his musicianship, that I had never imagined. Lytle is a really good vibes player. I am not that familiar with him, but I am very impressed.

7. This is one of the all time great Blindfold Test tracks, from all 122 Blindfold Tests. How did a group of swing era musicians, like Rex Stewart and Hilton Jefferson, achieve a late 1950s exotica/early Sun Ra sound so seemingly effortlessly? I thought I knew Rex Stewart's sound, but I did not pick him out of the soloists here. I realize that I am not that familiar with the solo stylings of Hilton Jefferson. I thought that this sounded remarkably like Johnny Hodges. I did not know that Hilton Jefferson could play this way. I wonder if it is Jefferson or Garvin Bushell on the clarinet solo. Bushell recorded with Mamie Smith, John Coltrane at the Vanguard, and now this! What a career!

8. I love this vocal, and the feel and energy of the song. Thanks for introducing me to it!

9. I should have known this. I have certainly heard of the group, and heard some of their music. A great track.

10. I have some Don Braden albums. He seemed to be an up and coming, emerging player for a time. I wonder what happened to him. I have heard Russell Malone in live performance, but could not place him when I heard him here.

I will have more comments on the rest of the Blindfold Test in the next day or so.

Here are my reactions to the first half of your Blindfold Test--with the rest to follow.

Drummer Jim Keltner may have played with Gary Lewis and the Playboys, but he has also been on literally thousands of albums. He is one of the most recorded session musicians in history. One of my favorite anecdotes about him-- a young group of today was going to record a cover of John Lennon's "Jealous Guy", from Lennon's 1971 "Imagine" album. They asked Keltner if he knew the song. He said, "yeah, I played on the original."

Well, I never heard of this guy before :) but, looking at the wiki page you referenced, I can see why.

MG

Well, I never heard of this guy before :) but, looking at the wiki page you referenced, I can see why.

MG

Did you see the link within the article to Keltner's webpage, MG, which lists his recordings? He recorded on albums by Albert King, B.B. King, Freddie King, Albert Collins, John Lee Hooker, Roberta Flack, Booker T. Jones, Chaka Khan, Aaron Neville, Ibrahim Ferrer, the Impressions, Cal Tjader, Clarence Gatemouth Brown, Freddie Hubbard, Jimmy Cliff, Ziggy Marley, Keb Mo, Mavis Staples, Pops Staples--it wasn't all rock music.

Here are the rest of my reactions:

11. I thought this was a group that knew their Coltrane from the Crescent/A Love Supreme period. I did not recognize Teddy Edwards! I have not heard him play like this. So that is Christian McBride on the bowed bass--he is playing with more depth of feeling than sometimes when I have heard him live. I wondered if it was Ed Blackwell--so it's Billy Higgins, who alternated with him in the Ornette Coleman group at times. This is really interesting.

12. I have not heard enough Billy Butler--I need to remedy that. I am not familiar with Jesse Powell and am glad I heard him here.

13. Who is Clifford Scott--I love his playing! Thanks for introducing him to me!

14. Well, now the mix of elements kind of makes sense, now that I see Oliver Nelson in the credits--he did some unorthodox stuff. I have always liked Shirley Scott, and like her here too.

15. Ron Starr! Another tenor player I really like, and had never heard before. This Blindfold Test is expanding my horizons.

16. I have this Fats Domino collection, but did not recognize the song. It's been a while since I played it, but I should have caught Fats' sound under the sax player.

17. I have that Big John Patton album and have played it often, so I should have been able to name the composition. Bill Henderson is an appealing pianist to me. I really like his approach here. This is a group and album which were unknown to me, and which I enjoy a lot.

Thank you for turning me on to so many artists I had not heard of, and really like!!!

MG

Did you see the link within the article to Keltner's webpage, MG, which lists his recordings? He recorded on albums by Albert King, B.B. King, Freddie King, Albert Collins, John Lee Hooker, Roberta Flack, Booker T. Jones, Chaka Khan, Aaron Neville, Ibrahim Ferrer, the Impressions, Cal Tjader, Clarence Gatemouth Brown, Freddie Hubbard, Jimmy Cliff, Ziggy Marley, Keb Mo, Mavis Staples, Pops Staples--it wasn't all rock music.

I think he also did a record with Bill Frisell.

MG

I didn't notice that link, so I found it just now and had a look. It lists 826 albums which, compared with the thousands by Bernard Purdie and Plas Johnson, isn't a great many over 45 years. The vast majority of the artists listed I've never heard of. I have albums by seventeen of them. Only on Albert King's 'Lovejoy' is his name mentioned (there's no personnel listed on my edition of Freddie King's 'Woman across the river'). Those are the only albums I've got with him on it (apart from the two by the Afro-Blues Quintet Plus 1, who aren't listed in the discography :D)

He doesn't appear on any of the albums I have by

Albert Collins

B B King

Ali Farka Toure

Bette Midler

Booker T & the MGs

Buddy Guy

Cal Tjader

Clare Fischer

Gatemouth Brown

Ernestine Anderson

Freddie Hubbard

Grady Tate

Jimmy Witherspoon

Ray Charles or

Roberta Flack.

Hardly surprising I've never heard of him :g

MG

Here are the rest of my reactions:

13. Who is Clifford Scott--I love his playing! Thanks for introducing him to me!

WHO IS CLIFFORD SCOTT!!!!!!!!

Oh my goodness! I'll send you some. I've got to say not much is available by or featuring him. This one is probably not too hard to get and you'll like it a lot:

Jimmy-Witherspoon-Evenin-Blues-504312.jp

Jimmy Witherspoon - Evenin' blues - Prestige (OBC CD) (with T-Bone Walker, Clifford Scott & Bert Kendricks on organ.)

AMG has the barest of bare outlines of his career here http://www.allmusic.com/artist/clifford-scott-mn0000159260

Texas tenor saxman Clifford Scott was born June 21, 1928. Perhaps most famous for his classic solo in Bill Doggett's "Honky Tonk, Pt. 2," Scott also played with Jay McShann, Amos Milburn, and Lionel Hampton before joining Doggett. Later, he worked with Ray Charles and recorded several albums as a leader on King and Pacific Jazz, none of which received much recognition. He moved to Los Angeles in 1962 and worked in the soul-jazz scene for a number of years, eventually returning to San Antonio in the early '70s. Later in his life, he made a few albums that also didn't generate much attention and a recording with Wild Bill Davis in 1986 in Zurich. Clifford Scott died April 19, 1993.

MG

Well like I've said before I really enjoyed your BFT. I can't believe I didn't recognize You'd be so nice and Afro Blue. I need a banghead smiley here. I'm definitely looking into the ones I discovered in my search and Rex and Momo I liked so much but didn't hear of before. Ha, I see I didn't recognize Joe Pass.
The great thing about these BFT's is they make you listen to music another way. You discover things about artists you know you didn't knew and you discover artists that touch a spot in your sould you didn't know it was there.
Thanks again, M.G. Looking forward of digging deeper into these.
Kind regards, page