New ownership for Yoshi's SF

Yoshi's San Francisco Announces New Ownership: Fillmore Live Entertainment Group

Yoshi's San Francisco, the Jazz Club & Japanese Restaurant which opened in the Historic Fillmore District in November 2007, has been sold to a new ownership group, Fillmore Live Entertainment Group, LLC. The new ownership group has infused new capital and is committed to ensuring that this will be a seamless and successful transition from one ownership group to the other. Fillmore Live Entertainment Group, which has retained Bob Burke of Ovation Consulting Restaurant + Hospitality to oversee operations, will take over Yoshi's San Francisco on Tuesday, July 1, 2014.

Mr. Burke draws experience from a number of other venues which include: Gordon Biersch, Piatti, Pat Kuleto Restaurants, and Forge. The new ownership is expected to keep Yoshi's San Francisco's name for the foreseeable future, and has no plans to make immediate changes in the live music and food & beverage program. All previously paid for show tickets, gift cards and dining vouchers will continue to be honored under the new management as appropriate.

“This transition provides the opportunity to implement exciting plans for the future including re-branding the entire concept. This will include more diverse music programming, a new food and beverage menu, and creating a dynamic guest experience,” said Michael Johnson, Managing Partner of Fillmore Live Entertainment Group. “While Yoshi's SF, has achieved substantial success over the last 6 years, this is a tremendous opportunity to build on that, and position this venue in the marketplace for even greater success in the future."

Kaz Kajimura, the outgoing Manager of Yoshi’s San Francisco said “I want to thank my management team in San Francisco for their hard work in making Yoshi’s a respected name in the San Francisco restaurant and music business.” We have provided quality food and entertainment to over a million patrons since we opened in 2007.”

Yoshi's Oakland will continue to operate unchanged with its current management at its Jack London Square location, offering the same high-quality entertainment and food, as it has for over 40 years.

Edited by Mike Schwartz

Wow - that's big!

To be honest, I never liked that venue much. It has none of the intimacy or feel of Oakland and the music programming has been very inconsistent.

It will be interesting to see what the new ownership does with the food and the music.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Not exactly "Yoshi's," but a familiar face re-surfaces in the East Bay. Congrats, Peter!

FreightLogo_web_trans.gif

PeterWilliams_2016.jpegAfter an extensive, national search, we're excited to announce that we've chosen Peter Williams as the Freight's new program director. He comes highly recommended by his peers and the musicians he's worked with, and we are so fortunate that he will be joining our already stellar team. Peter will help us build on the success and progress we've made in recent years, continuing the Freight's mission to present the kinds of traditional music we've been associated with since 1968 as well as broadening our reach to include other kinds of roots music from around the world.

Peter says, "I'm thrilled to be a part of the team at the Freight! Traditional music has always been close to my heart; I grew up around bluegrass and folk music thanks to my parents. I look forward to bringing a great eclectic line-up to this incredible room."

Peter comes to the Freight with an encyclopedic knowledge of music and seventeen years experience booking venues in the Bay Area. During his time at Yoshi's, Napa Valley Opera House, and most recently the Green Music Center, he brought an incredible range of artists to Northern California including Bela Fleck, Taj Mahal, Chick Corea, Orchestra Baobab, Blind Boys of Alabama, Steve Martin & Steep Canyon Rangers, Chico Trujillo, and Natalie Cole. 

Peter lives in Oakland with his wife, Chelsea, and is looking forward to his new shorter BART commute when he starts at the Freight in October. He's already helping us out a bit behind the scenes, so look for exciting new artists on the Freight schedule in 2017.

2020 Addison Street, Berkeley CA 94704    (510) 644-2020