Sonny Boy Williamson's "All My Love In Vain"

Larry Kart

A great record! When I bought it in the mid-60s, I wondered if that was Sonny Boy on the cover. I was relieved when I found out it wasn't.

You Chicagoans might have seen him in person. The closest I came to that was seeing a video from a European tour. He had an amazing presence. If he lived in a different society, he might well have been an actor as well as a musician.

Too much unconvention to be alone!

Chess records' current owners should put out a CD of all the dates Muddy was a sideman on, I counted it and it's a v. nice full CD's worth - this, some little Walter, some Sunnyland Slim, some Jimmie Rodgers, I must be forgetting something. A CD of Little Walter sideman dates, apart from Muddy that is, would be nice too.

The one that gets me best is the one about the chick with the air-conditioned stomach. I mean, hey, wow, really!

Hell, I say that, but Sonny Boy Williamson (this one) is just one of those guys for me...everything, please. But especially the stuff from that time with those players.

Tempo uber alles, please.

Cool Disposition.

This Sonny Boy Williamson didn't hang around Chicago very much, sorry to say. Judging from the records, the first Sonny Boy also must have been a joy to hear in person. Dana is right, Walter was the sideman that made a lot of records great -- surely the collected Little Walter sideman recordings are as many as the ones he led in that boxed set.