AAJ Bans Any Mention Of Organissimo

grey

I apologize to all here who feel that my outburst reflects poorly on Organissimo. The comments were certainly intended as my own, even if I was objecting to Ricci's censorship of any mention of "competing" BBs.

I realize that the best advice I can accept would be to wait thirty minutes before posting responses to messages that disturb me. I will try to do so in the future.

I do however think it is necessary to recap the exact course of events that happened at AAJ:

1. I started a similar "Bob Weinstock & Me" thread at AAJ.

2. Ricci saw it, changed the title to help it get responses.

3. After a couple of replies, I DID thank people and ask for further help.

4. The thread then degenerated into a "pissing contest" between Chris A., hardbop and Kevin B. regarding Prestige being called the "Junkie Label" and I realized that there was little help that was forthcoming.

5. Ricci then posted a message in which he said that he "wasn't dogging Dan" but then proceeded to attack me for not returning to the thread or thanking people for their help. This was completely uncalled for, for these reasons:

a. It happened around the holidays when time spent online might naturally be less.

b. I DID thank people before the thread degenerated.

c. Is it not both bothersome and loathsome for a board owner to post such a "I'm not dogging Dan, but here I go and dog him" BS message?

So, yes, I posted the Mother of All F-You Messages.

Now, with the technical problem here, I found out about Ricci's new rule. After our board came back up, I found a message from Moose referencing me being called "twerp" and I went back to AAJ to investigate.

That is when I posted the two messages.

They did not attack AAJ or members thereof.

They attacked the owner of the site, who in his message declaring that he had "run off that twerp, Dan Gould" had shown his true colors and his true purpose for his "I'm not dogging Dan" message.

The man is a world class asshole and I said so.

Again, I apologize if it has brought on a flame war. I have not gone to AAJ yet this morning to see what has happened. I didn't think there would be any great problem, as the last time I was online on Sunday, I saw there were 25-30 page views of my two threads but no replies.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The result is a chilling effect that has posters avoiding references to other boards be they notices about technical problems or "I saw a post at Organissimo or JC" type posts.

Won't stop me. I'm not chilled--though maybe shaken and stirred ;) Some of you guys are getting too serious and melodramatic, methinks.

Yeah, a perceived battle cry is hard to ignore.

Sure it is. This stuff all looks so petty and funny if you step back from it for a minute: everyone staking out their tiny corner of Internet turf and worrying what's being implied or said or not said about "their" board at another and so on. If you don't like a forum, just say, "Screw it" and quit visiting. Easy as pie. If enough people on the Net want to talk about jazz somewhere, they'll find a way. Witness the birth of this forum after the demise of the BNBB. This all smacks of kids arguing in the sandbox.

The result is a chilling effect that has posters avoiding references to other boards be they notices about technical problems or "I saw a post at Organissimo or JC" type posts.

Won't stop me. I'm not chilled--though maybe shaken and stirred ;) Some of you guys are getting too serious and melodramatic, methinks.

Yeah, a perceived battle cry is hard to ignore.

Sure it is. This stuff all looks so petty and funny if you step back from it for a minute: everyone staking out their tiny corner of Internet turf and worrying what's being implied or said or not said about "their" board at another and so on. If you don't like a forum, just say, "Screw it" and quit visiting. Easy as pie. If enough people on the Net want to talk about jazz somewhere, they'll find a way. Witness the birth of this forum after the demise of the BNBB. This all smacks of kids arguing in the sandbox.

I'll grant you that in the grand scheme of things - if you want to reduce participation in a jazz board to the pixels on a screen argument - yes it all looks rather silly.

But for me, participation in a jazz board is way more than that. First at Blue Note, then here and yes even at AAJ, I have invested a lot of time, energy, thought, emotion. I've learned a lot, passed on some information, really enjoyed myself and the comeraderie that has developed. Those things are very very real to me and are worth speaking out about when needed.

It seems that whenever somethings like this develops there are always those like yourself who take the high brow pixels on a screen position. Very scientific, detached - stop visiting, easy as pie sort of approach. I don't necessarily adhere to that philosophy

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree

Edited by Ed Swinnich

Ed, I understand where you're coming from and can respect that, but for me, it doesn't pay to get caught up emotionally in these forums or their attendant issues. That's part of the reason the loss of the BNBB was no great loss to me: we all seem to have found other places to discuss jazz quickly enough.

It ought to be noted here that earlier I noticed someone posted a reference to "ad hominem" attacks in defending Ricci.

I replied by quoting his "twerp" comment and asking, what was that about "ad hominem" attacks.

He has now deleted that message and disabled my account.

Now, I am not surprised at my banning; I welcome it.

But his latest act of censorship is telling.

Ellery posts quite often over at Jazz Corner. Oops. Just mentioned another board. ^_^

Thanks for the heads-up on that Jim. I, too, have really gotten into Ellery's music, and I never have gone the the "ask the artist forum" over at that "other board." Hope you don't get banned from here for the recommendation :g .

Surely one of the main reasons we use boards is to find out what's going on. If another board posts something of interest to all of us what is wrong with saying so?

Ricci is being very petty here and I can't understand why. Dan's post is beside the point and neither here nor there.

I spend a few moment at AAJ on Saturday mornings, I can't imagine I'll be going there much in the future.

Imagine

Imagine there's no heaven,

It's easy if you try,

No hell below us,

Above us only sky,

Imagine all the people

living for today...

Imagine there's no countries,

It isnt hard to do,

Nothing to kill or die for,

No religion too,

Imagine all the people

living life in peace...

Imagine no possesions,

I wonder if you can,

No need for greed or hunger,

A brotherhood of man,

Imagine all the people

Sharing all the world...

You may say Im a dreamer,

but Im not the only one,

I hope some day you'll join us,

And the world will live as one.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

john.gif

I saw the policy clarification at AAJ over the weekend when this board was down and had the same reaction that the thread-starter here had - wow - that is petty. Point has been made elsewhere, but this is a very, very small corner of the world we are spending time with and it does not seem to make sense to censor each other. Plus, try as you may, you can't really regulate human behavior at this level. I feel sad for the AAJ administrators because I think this will only have a negative impact on their site.

Having said that, this continues to be a great spot. For me, it reflects the "real" human interactions I have - mostly civil, mostly intelligent and mostly interesting. Sure, people get passionate and pissed and say things they wish they hadn't from time to time. But whatever ... it is REAL and it is fun.

Eric

I just don't like the smell of that place.

Ricci goes and makes a list of people whom he views as the "core group" on his site.

That strikes me as rather divisive. It was an embarassingly small list too.

I don't know. I still support Dan's comments. I would have phrased things differently, but Dan is Dan.

If Jim got fed up and gave up on Organissimo's board, would I migrate back over to AAJ to follow everyone else? I am not sure. I don't like intrusive board moderators. I don't think I would.

I am now completely done with that board.

hey deus! we already have a soundtrack! rockC posted it earlier. yours is on the list for scene X: the happy end...

with a two-class society now officially installed at AAJ, that may take a little while, but keep your hopes up!

Yeah, I was too lazy to click around there.

Sorry.

With people starving in Africa, the US loose around the globe and Norah Jones now taking the the first two spots on amazon.de's top sales list, I thought there were worse things that could happen to us than someone banning references to another jazz bulletin board.

Man, was I ever wrong.

:huh:

Ricci goes and makes a list of people whom he views as the "core group" on his site.

Yeah, what's up with THAT? :blink:

Hey, I can make a short list too! look:

Barbara Bel Geddes

Jim Davis

Patrick Duffy

Linda Gray

Larry Hagman

Steve Kanaly

Ken Kercheval

Hey, if you're going to mention Cliff Barnes, the least you can do is mention his sister, Pam Barnes Ewing, AKA, Victoria Principal.

2.jpg

(Yes, that's really her)

And if you're going to mention Steve Kanaly you ought to list his bedmate, Lucy Ewing, AKA Charlene Tilton (before we found out she was also his niece!)

42-907.jpg