AAJ Bans Any Mention Of Organissimo

grey

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AAJ and Organissimo are like two pubs (or bars!) in the same street.

One is rather upmarket and glitzy, has expansion plans, attracts alot of passing trade and yet has a few bunches of regulars who like to sit over their beers discussing their particular current obsessions - British jazz, Australian jazz, European jazz or whatever.

The other is a bit like 'Cheers'. A closer community who tend to sit around the bar and slap one another on the back rather alot. Yet are equally welcoming of newcomers who come along a little less frequently. They're also very tolerant of the drunk in the corner singing 'Danny Boy' and shouting obscenities. They also have a great resident band!

Some patrons seem to think that one of the bartenders has a small painful boil on his posterior....a condition that leaves him prone to periodic nonsensical outbursts.

Guest DEEP (GET ME OUT OF MY SKULL)

AAJ and Organissimo are like two pubs (or bars!) in the same street.

One is rather upmarket and glitzy, has expansion plans, attracts alot of passing trade and yet has a few bunches of regulars who like to sit over their beers discussing their particular current obsessions - British jazz, Australian jazz, European jazz or whatever.

The other is a bit like 'Cheers'. A closer community who tend to sit around the bar and slap one another on the back rather alot. Yet are equally welcoming of newcomers who come along a little less frequently. They're also very tolerant of the drunk in the corner singing 'Danny Boy' and shouting obscenities. They also have a great resident band!

Some patrons seem to think that one of the bartenders has a small painful boil on his posterior....a condition that leaves him prone to periodic nonsensical outbursts.

The thing is that the dumb drunk is probably singin' some stupid Limey Melody like "THE WHITE CLIFFS OF DOVER".Danny Boy is a nice tune.

DEEP

After much protest by AAJ members regarding the policy on mentioning other boards, a new thread has been created on AAJ to accommodate matters dealing with other boards. Mike's policy for AAJ posters as regards mentioning of other boards has been amended to...

pasted from AAJ...

It boils down to these two rules:

* don't blatantly promote another jazz board (especially if you're not an active AAJ member)

* if the board you frequent is down (Organissimo or Jazz Corner), either notify Jim or Lois (the board owners). They can then contact you re: the board’s status.

Bev suggested that we use the GET THE WORD OUT forum as the spot to post "outage" announcements. In the future, use the "Other Jazz Websites and Jazz Resources" thread if you must...

Edited by Phil Meloy

I fail to see the problem with informing posters here, some of whom post on other boards, for different reasons, that there is an outage at AAJ or JC, or even sharing information from other sites that they have found interesting. Perhaps mentioning the links is a no-no, but sometimes enthusiasm gets the best of even the most loyal Organissimo poster.

To forbid, or put down other sites as being disloyal to this one would, IMO, be similar to a friend who doesn't want us to have other friends, who move in different circles, as well as our own.

I know that Dan G. had a problem with Mike, regarding a project he was receiving help from AAJ posters with. From what I gather, there was some question of whether Dan was appropriatly grateful for the help he received.

Name-calling ensued and "twerp" was bandied about, as well as some other derogatory terms, from both sides. Dan G. is a fiery soul and does have a unique way of expressing his thoughts.

No blood was shed. Dan and Mike and Jim are all good guys. Let's move on already.

I dunno what constitutes an active board member...I was listed in the batch of core members, but there's just nothing of interest over there right now, and I can't bring myself to post there much. One cat was equating Dave Douglas with tofu, but that was about it. Strangely, I've been finding myself, even as an outsider, digging the digs over here a bit more at this point, even if I am seen as some sort of oddball in the politics section. Maybe it's the organ trio connection, I dunno.

By the way, curiosity is killing me...what was the exchange between Mike and Dan in the Weinstock thread?

I dunno what constitutes an active board member...I was listed in the batch of core members, but there's just nothing of interest over there right now, and I can't bring myself to post there much. One cat was equating Dave Douglas with tofu, but that was about it. Strangely, I've been finding myself, even as an outsider, digging the digs over here a bit more at this point, even if I am seen as some sort of oddball in the politics section. Maybe it's the organ trio connection, I dunno.

By the way, curiosity is killing me...what was the exchange between Mike and Dan in the Weinstock thread?

Jazzy Paul, I think I asked Dan G. about that, quite a while ago. He did explain the whole thing, from his standpoint and I thought it was resolved or at least, at an impasse.

I guess not.

It was resolved-I didn't post there anymore-until this thing started up. This thread called attention to Ricci's stupid decree and fortunately or unfortunately, Moose made reference to Ricci saying he had run off the "twerp" Dan Gould. I went to investigate and when I saw his ad hominem attack, I let loose with both barrells.

The fact is that the respective "Suggest Questions For Bob Weinstock" threads serve as a perfect microcosm of why Organissimo is infinitely better than AAJ:

Here, dozens and dozens of posts and many useful suggestions.

There, but a handful of suggestions and most of the thread was given over to a Chris A. vs Chris H. vs Kevin B. battle over whether Prestige was a "junkie" label.

After that, and hardly any thread traffic, can anyone blame me for not checking back?

I agree with Patricia, it's time to move on (although no one has called me a twerp, yet) ;)

Well, Sheldon. "Twerp" is pretty mild, in the great tradition of name calling.

I have been called worse, on this very board and I'm afraid reacted badly. Being called a name is indeed hurtful and disrespectful, but keeping our heads, while all around us folks are losing theirs is still the best tactic. Responses are a natural reaction, but respectful rebuttal, keeping our eye on the ball, is always best.

Any other tactic results in saying things here that just make it worse. I know that as well as anybody. Nobody died. So, there's that. :rolleyes:

Dan. I agree with you. Nobody can be expected to totally ignore derogatory comments directed at them, although I keep remembering my mother saying that responding to insults only encourages the person insulting us to ramp up the tirade.

I tend to react with my gut as well. Not good. But, what else can I do?? I know that ignoring and moving on is the best, but I am who I am, a scrapper. What can I tell you??:D

Edited by patricia

Bev suggested that we use the GET THE WORD OUT forum as the spot to post "outage" announcements. In the future, use the "Other Jazz Websites and Jazz Resources" thread if you must...

Nah. Wouldn't want to bruise any fragile egos over there... :rolleyes:

You know, it's strange that when JC or AAJ is down, and threads are posted here, no one seems to mind, yet at those two spots mentioning Organissimo being down seems to cause all kinds of consternation. I guess it all boils down to that corporate thing Jim Sangrey talks about. I always thought he was overstating it a bit, but apparently that was my naivete, not his error...

I have been called worse, on this very board and I'm afraid reacted badly. Being called a name is indeed hurtful and disrespectful, but keeping our heads, while all around us folks are losing theirs is still the best tactic.

Patricia, who called you a name? Was it, er, one poster in particular--one with two personalities? (And I don't mean Dr. Achtung or the Red Menace. ;) )

If so, shall we prepare a nice long rail? I'll bring the tar and feathers...

I have been called worse, on this very board and I'm afraid reacted badly.  Being called a name is indeed hurtful and disrespectful, but keeping our heads, while all around us folks are losing theirs is still the best tactic.

Patricia, who called you a name? Was it, er, one poster in particular--one with two personalities? (And I don't mean Dr. Achtung or the Red Menace. ;) )

If so, shall we prepare a nice long rail? I'll bring the tar and feathers...

I've, as you see, forgotten all about it and am now as mellow as ever. But, thank you for the offer of the requisite tar, feathers and a rail to run whoever it was out of town.

I say again though, I've forgotten all about it. No worries. :blink::blink: