AAJ Bans Any Mention Of Organissimo

grey

The AAJ Board now BANS any mention of Organissimo or any other Jazz Site in its forums. That is really petty. When AAJ was down due to hacker problems I remember real concern being shown on this Board. However, as of today that feeling is no longer reciprocal. When the crash of this site today was noted on the AAJ site by Dmitry, the thread was promptly closed and posters were curtly told to go elsewhere.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I don't agree with the policy, it is their right to do that. In another thread I mentioned an idea of setting up a non-TheChain related webpage (ie, not on this server) that would give details of the forums in case these problems arise again. That way you'd all at least know what was going on! I'll look into that.

For what it's worth, I don't mind discussion of other boards here.

The AAJ Board now BANS any mention of Organissimo or any other Jazz Site in its forums. That is really petty. When AAJ was down due to hacker problems I remember real concern being shown on this Board. However, as of today that feeling is no longer reciprocal. When the crash of this site today was noted on the AAJ site by Dmitry, the thread was promptly closed and posters were curtly told to go elsewhere.

Wow, that's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard!

Guy

While I don't agree with the policy, it is their right to do that. In another thread I mentioned an idea of setting up a non-TheChain related webpage (ie, not on this server) that would give details of the forums in case these problems arise again. That way you'd all at least know what was going on! I'll look into that.

For what it's worth, I don't mind discussion of other boards here.

You could put something up at the station site site if you like. Shouldn't be too much trouble to set up and we could give it an easy to remember url.

--eric

To be honest, the last time I was there and saw the unprofessional behavior of the moderator (referring to "the twerp Dan Gould"), I pretty much wrote the place off anyway. Hey, it's okay for me to insult Dan, but not some stranger!! :g

But if it makes anyone feel better, I'll pretend it was for this... ;)

To be honest, the last time I was there and saw the unprofessional behavior of the moderator (referring to "the twerp Dan Gould"), I pretty much wrote the place off anyway. Hey, it's okay for me to insult Dan, but not some stranger!! :g

My feelings exactly, Mark (and Ghost)!

"Brothers" can razz each other til the cows come home, but when someone else does it, we don't stand for that shit!!! :g

Frankly, its unbelievably petty and lame for AAJ to do this and I hope many others follow Cheney's lead and delete those bookmarks.

I saw that too was and pissed. It's not like they're millions of jazz fans down there knocking doors down to get to these sites. It's a very small community and I would like to think we're all one family. Well, as far as Assholes About Jazz are concerned, apparently not. So F*** them.

Although I agree with the sentiment, I don't think this is a good idea. How about we take the high road and just ignore them?

it's personal. Dan is pissed. Mike Ricci called him a twerp. I don't know the background of that, but I think it is clear that Dan's post does not reflect the majority of Org.org's membership.

AAJ is a site that is trying to turn a profit. BN boards, old & Neo-Euro, were/are P.R. organs (no pun intended) of a "major" label. Jazz Corner is a good site, and seems to sincerely support the musicians first and foremost, but I never really felt a "personality fit" there myself. I'm sure there are several other boards that I'm not aware of that are run by and for fans of the music w/o concern for profit, but I'm not familar w/them (other than the Harlem board).

The point is, like Chaney said earlier in another thread (and I meant to give you a shoutout for that one, dude, but I got sidetracked...), a for-profit and/or PR site is dependent upon content. WE provide the content here, and we do it for US. Yeah, Organissimo (the band) benefits from the exposure the board gives them, but this board is not a for-profit venture, nor is it primarily a PR tool. It's a site where fans and musicians can hang out w/o fear of anything other than pissing off Jim & his brother, which as far as I'm concerned is a pretty damn loose set of parameters.

The jazz community is small, relatively speaking, and the competition for our business is fierce. Don't let anybody play you for a chump - a LOT of aspects of this business want you only as long as you can put bucks in their pocket (even if it's only by giving them a "demographic" to present to advertisers). When that becomes problematic, they deal with it, and seldom gracefully. Nothing evil about that, it's just business. But the key here is that the Organissimo Board AIN'T ABOUT THE BUSINESS, it's about the music (and the auxillary issues that we bring to the table). Sure some of us sometimes have product to sell, but in this environment, it's about as "business" as buying Girl Scout Cookies from you neighbor's daughter. And yeah, that's a good thing.

I bear none of the other sites any ill-will (even though I recently said "Fuck Blue Note", a more accurate statement would have been "Fuck Blue Note. I love 'em, but fuck'em". If you have to ask...), but looking at the options, I really don't want to actively participate in a forum where my input (and that of everybody else's) serves ANY other purpose than what WE intend for it to. Jim's amazingly tolerant of "outside advertisements" on this board, and I think that speaks to the true nature of what we have here - a forum with no ulterior motive other than to just be here when and do what we want/need it to. And when all the server issues, etc. finally get resolved once and for all, we'll have it on a consistent basis! :g:g:g

it's personal. Dan is pissed. Mike Ricci called him a twerp. I don't know the background of that, but I think it is clear that Dan's post does not reflect the majority of Org.org's membership.

The personal conflict between Dan Gould and Michael Ricci goes back to January, when Dan lost his temper in his AAJ thread about the Bob Weinstock interview. I think the thread has been deleted since then.

Too bad that this board has to suffer from this. It won't help AAJ either.

I've always thought Mike Ricci was basically fariminded, but I don't approve of his treatment of Dan along with his attitude towards mentioning Organissimo. I haven't posted much over there, and I don't plan to start.

Now I'll head over there to read Dan's posts! :g

We're behind you all the way, Dan! :tup