AAJ Bans Any Mention Of Organissimo

grey

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My two cents - No matter how hard you try otherwise, there will always be people in this world that you simply don't "click" with. It doesn't matter how good of a person you are, or try to be, or how good they are. It's just the way it is.

Dan and Mike seem to be people who don't click. It's ok. IMO it's really not worth spending a whole lot of time confronting each other, because it's not going to change things, just make both of your emotions boil over. Life's too short to spend it challenging and attacking each other, when there are so many other folks out there that we DO click with, and can have healthy relationships (and jazz discussions).

I'm here to talk jazz, and other sundry subjects. I also post occasionally on AAJ, and once in a while at JazzCorner (not so much after I finally weaned myself from that "name three people who follow these three" thread :) ). I like to read posts at all three, and genuinely learn from all three. Occansionally I dip my toes in the politics section, mainly when Alexander posts something that I don't agree with. But even in that case, it's more a philosophical dispute than a personal one - I've never had any reason to dislike Alex personally, and don't expect to.

If you don't agree with someone, just move on. Chat with folks you DO agree with instead.

I posted this at AAJ:

Wow, what a slap in the face of people who participate on this board. Apparently membership with privileges is limited to "core" members? Everybody else can go to hell?

For the record, I'm equally put off by the carping over at the other board that's directed at Mike and AAJ. But at the end of day, it seems that all parties in this mess deserve to be in the same festering sore together.

There has to be a better way for a jazz fan to participate in the jazz community than this stuff. The jazz community is too small for this kind of pettiness. This is like sports or some other sort of team loyalty crap.

I think the events of the past couple of days reflect poorly on the jazz community. With every thing else going on in the world, this just doesn't seem worth it.

Having just read all of the comments of the last several days on this thread and at AAJ, the bottom line on this is pretty simple. The AAJ policy is a losing position for Mike Ricci.

I am an infrequent poster here (signing up after the demise of the BNBB), but visit this site almost daily. I feel comfortable here. I lurk at the AAJ site about once a week. I remember some AAJ members expressing concern about an invasion of BNBB members when that board went down. Hence, I am much more comfortable here. Plus, IMHO I find the discussions here more interesting.

I believe that Mike is learning that most all posters, including his "core" are put off by his policy. It is undermining what he is trying to build at AAJ. Ironically, he has done more to promote the Organissimo Forum than anyone could have imagined.

Having just read all of the comments of the last several days on this thread and at AAJ, the bottom line on this is pretty simple. The AAJ policy is a losing position for Mike Ricci.

I am an infrequent poster here (signing up after the demise of the BNBB), but visit this site almost daily. I feel comfortable here. I lurk at the AAJ site about once a week. I remember some AAJ members expressing concern about an invasion of BNBB members when that board went down. Hence, I am much more comfortable here. Plus, IMHO I find the discussions here more interesting.

I believe that Mike is learning that most all posters, including his "core" are put off by his policy. It is undermining what he is trying to build at AAJ. Ironically, he has done more to promote the Organissimo Forum than anyone could have imagined.

From my perspective there is a kind of lack of bounds to Organissimo posters when they go to AAJ and start talking about Organissimo. People don't seem aware that, if the main reason they go to AAJ is that Organissimo is down and all they do at AAJ is talk about where they come from, it shows considerable disrespect.

In a certain respect I think people are blind to that and the last time it happened it was just too much in your face even for me, who takes these things with a pinch of salt. To me, guys here should still have the option of going to AAJ and mentioning Organissimo (as this is clearly on people's minds), but be sure to put something in as well as taking something out.

I mean, ask yourself how you would feel if someone turned up at your door, went inside, sat down and completely ignored the host (you) talking only about how great some other host is.

I do think Mike needed to make some sort of change, but not this one.

Simon Weil

Edited by Simon Weil

Hate to beat a dead horse, but it seems as if Mr. Ricci has closed the thread completely, as well as deleting a rather pointed-but-civil (and dead-on accurate IMO) post by Ghost.

I guess that's that!

Yes, that's that. It appears that AAJ just gave us a hearty KISS-OFF.

I agree with Simon. What a lot of folks did by popping in at AAJ mainly/only to post in one thread about Organissimo being down temporarily (as if it's some big emergency when you can't log into a forum for a day!) and then leave again was quite rude.

I can understand Mike being ticked off by that, though I doubt the way he's handled it is particularly helpful.

Edited by Muskrat Ramble

Points valid, all, but another way to look at is what if you had a neighbor who you liked ok but didn't really socialize with all that much who came to your door one day and said their phone was out and they needed to make a few calls to get things straightened out? Would you turn him away?

I wouldn't, and I'd even offer them the opportunity to make a few more calls (local, of course...) if they needed to. No harm done to me, my neighbor appreciates it, and neither one of us has a bad taste in our mouths about the other, even if we don't get all chummy afterwards. Someday I might need a favor from him, you know?

I'm a little disappointed that Mike Ricci doesn't seem to know who some of his best contributors are, based on his list of "core members." He includes on the list someone he banned (bombastic) while forgetting to include great contributors like Muskrat Ramble, Patricia, Tenorman, Saundra Hummer...Ricci must not read his own board much. :w

Hate to beat a dead horse, but it seems as if Mr. Ricci has closed the thread completely, as well as deleting a rather pointed-but-civil (and dead-on accurate IMO) post by Ghost. But not before shooting another one Dan's way.

I guess that's that!

Wow, you caught that? He deleted it so fast that I'm surprised anybody else noticed... in response to his statement:

I think it boils down to this...

This board is here to serve the AAJ community: its core members, its readers, and its contributors.

I had posted

...as opposed to the jazz community.  Thanks for making the distinction.

He then zapped my post and closed the thread.

Memo to Mr. Ricci: Ever hear the one about how to catch more flies?

Hate to beat a dead horse, but it seems as if Mr. Ricci has closed the thread completely, as well as deleting a rather pointed-but-civil (and dead-on accurate IMO) post by Ghost. But not before shooting another one Dan's way.

I guess that's that!

Wow, you caught that? He deleted it so fast that I'm surprised anybody else noticed...

even my slow ass caught that one... your remark was spot on of course. I've had my finger hovering over the reply button with several similar messages, but resisted the temptation. I can imagine Ricci to be a bit testy at the moment. I hope no one will feel the need to go peeing up his legs some more. Let the matter rest I'd say.

I guess that's that!

Wow, you caught that? He deleted it so fast that I'm surprised anybody else noticed...

even my slow ass caught that one... your remark was spot on of course. I've had my finger hovering over the reply button with several similar messages, but resisted the temptation. I can imagine Ricci to be a bit testy at the moment. I hope no one will feel the need to go peeing up his legs some more. Let the matter rest I'd say.

I'm through with it... and pretty much through with AAJ for now.

Say, I've got it--we could post in code! "I hear Kenny G has a new one coming out" means "the board seems to be down again today." Etc.