AAJ Bans Any Mention Of Organissimo

grey

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is interesting. I knew the board was down for whatever reason the other night and I went too AAJ to see if I could get some information as to why and there was nothing and now I know why. It's unfortunate that Mr. Ricci has made this decision as in regard to this board,JC etc.etc. but it is his board and if this policy blows up in his face then it's his problem. Let's move on.

I've deliberately taken a a step away from Organissimo in recent weeks because of a specific issue. I've continued to post at AAJ.

AAJ remains my first port of call. Why? Because it's better? No. Because it has posters more interested in European, UK and (more recently) Australian jazz that I rather like.

Despite my very specific issues regarding a specific situation I find Organissimo to be better on other fields.

Why has Mike acted like this? Well I don't think his action has been wise. And I've PM'd him with my view on the situation. But I think some members of Organissimo need to ask if they've really helped things. All those 'Arn't we the best', 'This is my Home' 'Look at the statistics' etc posts. Come on. Isn't this what kids do over favourite football (or baseball) teams. Is it really so difficult to recognise that two boards can support the same music but show an interest in different aspects of it?

I'm hopeful that Mike might change his decision. But that will be achieved by reasoned argument rather than terminal 'I've had it with AAJ' comments (less convincing from those who rarely post there).

AAJ and Organissimo are two oases in a relatively jazzless world. I want to see both thrive as jazz and relate music discussion boards. It's sad to see this blowing up, regardless of who is or is not responsible.

Uh...Bev, don't look now, but we're not the ones that want to pretend that other boards don't exist, okay? Yeah, the cheerleading stuff gets pretty silly, but then we're probably somewhat insecure what with having had our original "home" shut down, then going through the "great BNBB diaspora", losing friends to other boards and finally settling here. So we're a bit touchy and like to toot our own horn; at least we don't get in a snit and announce that no one can mention any other jazz board here...

By the way, to others, I completely understand the point made about the "Organissimo's down" announcements on AAJ, and if that's what's bugging Ricci, he could have said so. This silly "don't mention other boards" policy of his (and apparently of Lois as well) is well, just silly. It's not like the online jazz community is that small, and certainly everyone knows about these three boards, if not others; why pretend they don't exist?

Posted by Bev:

AAJ and Organissimo are two oases in a relatively jazzless world. I want to see both thrive as jazz and relate music discussion boards. It's sad to see this blowing up, regardless of who is or is not responsible.

I agree, Bev. A couple of weeks ago I nearly posted a link here to the "Ask Jeremy Pelt" thread over at AAJ. I knew there are Pelt fans here who, if they hadn't already seen it, would've been interested. As it was I simply forgot to post the link--certainly the thought that Jim Alfredson would object never occurred to me, because I don't believe he would have. I wish I had posted it, because I could've pointed to it in my PMs with Mike Ricci. As it was I could say only that I've directed people to AAJ (particularly neophytes) and that I've routinely spoken well of it here & elsewhere. I still think Mike would serve the AAJ community and his own interests better by serving the entire jazz community. There's some sadness entwined with my anger on this issue, because I did enjoy the AAJ board for what it had to offer. Such a censorious attitude on the part of its administrator, however, now compels me to stay away.

Edited by ghost of miles

Mr. Ricci's latest gesture seem fair, sensible, and entirely appropriate. I've said as much on the aforementioned thread.

Seems a pity that people sometimes have to get so damned crossways with each other before common sense takes over. But "from the oyster comes the pearl" as Bird was fond of quoting (whom, I have no idea. I'm self-taught that way).

Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled programming! :tup

So now he's made a little spot for us and everything is honky-dory.

Pretty quick to forget his other acts of censorship, like deleting Ghosts spot-on definition of what he is concerned about-the AAJ community, not the jazz community.

Of course, it makes no nevermind to me-I'm banned! Too bad I'm not blocked, too!

So now he's made a little spot for us and everything is honky-dory.

Pretty quick to forget his other acts of censorship, like deleting Ghosts spot-on definition of what he is concerned about-the AAJ community, not the jazz community.

Of course, it makes no nevermind to me-I'm banned! Too bad I'm not blocked, too!

I'd offer to keep you posted about what goes on over there, Dan, but I've logged out never to return. I don't care about the censorship as much as perhaps I should, and this does take care of the silly overreaction of banning the mention of other jazz sites.

Trivial as it may sound (and, in all honesty, I can't condone your response to it!) the idea of a moderator who refers in public to posters as "twerps" is something I can't abide. Screw him.