RIP Jimmy Scott

paul secor

Since I had not heard any news of him performing in a while, I wondered if his health was in decline.

I only got to hear him perform once and it was an unforgettable experience. He sang a version of "Some One To Watch Over Me" that would make grown men weep.

His autobiography is well worth reading.

May he now find the peace that was often denied him in this world.

I chuckled at this. "Sold only 49,000 copies." I think most jazz artists would love to have sales of 49 thousand.

LAS VEGAS (AP) — Jimmy Scott, a jazzman with an ethereal man-child voice who found success late in life with the Grammy-nominated album "All the Way," has died. He was 88.

Scott died in his sleep Thursday at his Las Vegas home, said his wife, Jeanie Scott.

He had battled health problems stemming from a genetic hormone deficiency and had been under the care of a home nurse, she said.

His 1992 comeback album "All the Way" sold only 49,000 copies in the U.S. but earned him cult-like popularity in Europe and Asia, particularly Japan, where he often sold out performances.

http://LAS VEGAS (AP) — Jimmy Scott, a jazzman with an ethereal man-child voice who found success late in life with the Grammy-nominated album "All the Way," has died. He was 88.

Damn!

Coincidently I recently bought a Japanese re-issue of his album "The Source" which I've been playing continously. It's wonderful.

His passing even got a mention on the BBC Radio 4 news this morning...that doesn't happen very often!

Who will do the really slow tempos now?

Andy Bey, but .........

....not like Jimmy!

Damn!

Coincidently I recently bought a Japanese re-issue of his album "The Source" which I've been playing continously. It's wonderful.

His passing even got a mention on the BBC Radio 4 news this morning...that doesn't happen very often!

Who will do the really slow tempos now?

Andy Bey, but .........

....not like Jimmy!

Nancy Wilson could -- and did -- but she is retired now.