Beethoven Piano Sonatas

Guy Berger

well, if he played it while in a coma, I will be the first one to purchase it.

Argh..,sorry for dropping that letter, keyboard fault, evidently.. :lol: Nevertheless, I concur, it is very difficult to play in a comma, there are nine between two notes...And one word of caution : stay away from the aethylic commas, they are the worst. Mainly found in the Scotch symphony from Mendelsohnn and all the works of Ignaz von Burgundy. :cool:

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

While reading this thread, I wondered that FRIEDRICH GULDA never was mentioned. His Beethoven Sonatas are "state of the art" for sure, either the unbelievable 1968 recordings (available as bargain box)

http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Piano-Sonata-Concerto-Box/dp/B000BQV52A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1287739523&sr=1-1

or the just recently released 1954/55 recording(a little pricier)

http://www.amazon.de/S%C3%A4mtliche-Klaviersonaten-1-32-Variation-Bag/dp/B003L544SK/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1287739670&sr=1-2

• 1 year later...

The Gulda (Amadeo 1967) is the most recent of a few great Beethoven cycles I've been playing since I got started in classical music early in June. The Kempff early fifties mono (I posted about buying it in this thread, never really played much of it until this year) was another - but I think my top favorite is Schnabel (I've got the EMI box, sound didn't bother me).

Gould I found most enjoyable, too (not quite complete though), and also Solomon with the late sonatas (a little less so with some middle ones included in his ICON box).

From Arrau, I have what's in his ICON again, and some of it was fine, I thought, but I found his Liszt better, and Mozart sonatas mo' better than his Liszt (though I do love Gould's Mozart sonatas, too - totally different, but wonderful).

Rubinstein's Beethoven is kind of weird. His mid fifties and early sixties recordings are the best (speaking only of his few Beethoven sonatas recordings), but they're not quite up there with Schnabel, Gould, Gulda, Kempff, I think.

Horowitz is pretty weak I found, but the few by Gieseking I've heard so far are again most wonderful.

A lifetime of enjoyment? I guess so! It only started a few months ago and Beethoven (violin sonatas first, then piano sonatas, piano trios, string trios, the violin concerto a few other thigns) was played most often by a big margin in the first two months.

From my very personal Beethoven experience - number 1 Schnabel (by a long distance) - number 2 '50s Kempff (for an intelligent alt view) and finally the Vox Brendels (for a brash first go by a bright guy - I hate his later stuff). Individual sonatas by others are liked, especially Fischer.

Much to discuss.

Fischer, Annie or Edwin? Don't know either yet.

No Gould for you, Chuck? I'm not sure if I'd have him or Kempff as #2 ... or Gulda's Amadeo cycle, which I've yet to explore more thoroughly (I've only given it one spin this week and found it fantastic).

Also, what are the general impressions of Gilels' Beethoven? I've got his fifties and sixties concerto cycles (in the ICON box), but for solo, there's just the variations (again in the ICON). Should I seek some of his sonata recordings? The whole package or rather some select discs/sonatas, and if so, which ones?

But Schnabel is *it*! That guy is just plain amazing. Missed notes? Damn, who cares, he is making music of the hightest order. First degree, all the way! (Same goes for his Mozart - I don't think I've heard much that is up there ... Rubinstein with Krips doing K 491, Lipatti with K 467, Gieseking maybe with K 491 and K 488, Weissenberg with K 467 - that's it - but Schnabel is on equal heights in all of those and a few others - but obviously I've got lots left to explore.)

I can't speak for Chuck, of course, but if I remember correctly he once posted that he didn't like Gilels in Beethoven. Anyway, Gilels' unfinished cycle (DG) is one of my favourites, along with the earlier Kempff (mono, DG). Annie Fischer (Hungaroton) is an acquired taste in Beethoven, though I like what she does, and I also like most of Solomon's interpretations (Testament, not EMI); Schnabel (Naxos, not the earlier, heavily no-noised EMI set) is hors concours.

Edited by J.A.W.

Solomon ... I love his late ones, but I think the few additional middle ones (Pathétique, Moonlight, Waldstein, Appassionata, Les Adieux) are enough at this time.

Not sure I really need to update Schnabel, as I found no fault in the EMI box and find it easily the best Beethoven I've heard, so I guess for the time being I'm fine with the EMI box.

Gilels, to me, is rather different ... he's got a wonderful tone, but somehow I hear him as kind of pointillistic if that makes sense. Not that much attention to shapes, lines, longer stretches of thought. Don't get me wrong, I've liked much of what I heard (i.e. the trio with Kogan and Rostropovich playing Beethoven, Schubert, Schumann and Haydn, and - with Barshai - the Fauré quartet, also his third Rachmaninov and both Beethoven cycles) - but somehow he's still not a favourite.

• 3 weeks later...

If you can't find something else in the discussion above, go for it. Honest performances.

I'm taking it all in, and considering others as well. Thanks for everyone's input. I've been doing quite a bit of listening on YouTube, and from a performance aspect I could live with any of a number of great pianists from Serkin, Kempff, Claude Frank, Yves Nat, or Schabel. Whether I'm going to enjoy the sound of the CDs on my stereo is another matter. But I'm willing to take the plunge as the only Beethoven recordings I have are by John O'Conor which are fine, but not exactly full of fire and personality.

Edited by starthrower

After being out of print for some time (btw only available via Japan), the complete Beethoven Sonatas performed by Maria Grinberg recorded 1964-1967 and released by Melodyia is available again. Her style is probably not for the fainthearted, but to me very interesting nevertheless - admire her interpretation of Sonatas 109-111, which should not be missed !!

For another fascinating view on Beethoven Sonatas, try Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli(although he recorded only a couple of these - 3,4,11,12 and 111).

• 3 months later...