Beethoven Piano Sonatas

Guy Berger

For anyone looking to pick up one of the truly classic complete sets of Beethoven's piano sonatas, Amazon.UK has the 1950's Kempff set on Deutsche Grammophon for the ridiculously low price of 17 pounds (about $32.50) exluding VAT, which those outside the UK don't pay (the 2.97 pounds VAT is automatically deducted during checkout). This set is universally praised for both musicianship and sound quality, and received the hightest ratings of a rosette in the Penguin Guide and 3 discs in the Gramophone Guide. It also seems to be generally preferred to Kempff's stereo 1960's set. With shipping to the US costing about 3 pounds, the total shipped cost is about $38.00, less than half of what the set generally goes for in the US. Needless to say, I ordered a set. If you're interested, go here.

Thanks, ordered one... not that I expect to find time to listen before... 2010? but this will be a welcome opportunity to get a foot into another vastly unknown territory, and the price is more than right, too!

As Chuck said in an earlier post (in 2004, actually!), "[t]his is a life long enchantment," so you'll have plenty of time to enjoy it. :rolleyes:

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For anyone looking to pick up one of the truly classic complete sets of Beethoven's piano sonatas, Amazon.UK has the 1950's Kempff set on Deutsche Grammophon for the ridiculously low price of 17 pounds (about $32.50) exluding VAT, which those outside the UK don't pay (the 2.97 pounds VAT is automatically deducted during checkout). This set is universally praised for both musicianship and sound quality, and received the hightest ratings of a rosette in the Penguin Guide and 3 discs in the Gramophone Guide. It also seems to be generally preferred to Kempff's stereo 1960's set. With shipping to the US costing about 3 pounds, the total shipped cost is about $38.00, less than half of what the set generally goes for in the US. Needless to say, I ordered a set. If you're interested, go here.

:tup:tup:tup

I know I mentioned this in a previous post but I have to put in another plug for the Schnabel. Yes, he took some liberities w/ his use of rubato and he makes a mistake here and there, but these are some of the finest interpretations ever recorded, imho. The sound is ok although you have to remember that he made his recordings back in the 30's and they exhibit all of the aural limitations and quirks that recordings from that period usually display. I got the EMI box back in the early 90's and I think there are cheaper versions out on the market. I don't know how the other label's versions stack up sonically..

Thanks, ordered one... not that I expect to find time to listen before... 2010? but this will be a welcome opportunity to get a foot into another vastly unknown territory, and the price is more than right, too!

As Chuck said in an earlier post (in 2004, actually!), "[t]his is a life long enchantment," so you'll have plenty of time to enjoy it. :rolleyes:

Flurin, very good investment.

:tup

Hey Ron

I Googled the Euro/US Dollar exchange rates and I've tried 4 or 5 different converters and the final price(including air mail) of £21.78 is approximately $28 give or take a quarter. Am I missing something? I mean $38 bucks is a steal but $28 is down right obscene!! :g

Edited by Chalupa

Chalupa is confusing pounds and euros.

Guy

Ah, I knew it was too good to be true. See, this is what happens when you have 70 degree days in November in Philly. I'm stupid by nature but I'm super stupid when it gets warm outside :wacko:

Still $38 is insane. You might as well buy 2 for that price.

Guy

Ah, I knew it was too good to be true. See, this is what happens when you have 70 degree days in November in Philly. I'm stupid by nature but I'm super stupid when it gets warm outside :wacko:

Hey Kirby--sorry I couldn't answer your question earlier, but I just got in.

BTW, I've been investigating the various releases of Schnabel, including listening to online samples. It looks like the general consensus is that the EMI box has too much NR, whereas the Pearl releases have virtually no NR, but a lot of high end surface noise, which could be a bit fatiguing after a while. Naxos has released all of Schnabel's Beethoven sonata recordings on 9 separate discs, and apparently went to great lengths to locate multiple copies of the original 78s to ensure it had the best sources. Additionally, Naxos used much less NR than EMI, providing sort of a compromise between the approaches of EMI and Pearl. The best price I've found for the Naxos discs is $6.64 each at JPC.de. Incidentally, like its price for the Kempff set, Amazon.co.uk also has an insanely low price for the EMI box: 15.31 pounds (that's POUNDS, Kirby, not Euros :P ), which is equal to about $29!

Personally, I haven't quite decided which way to go on this.

Even though I already have the referenced Barenboim EMI Complete Sonatas set and enjoy it (picked up cheap a while back form Amazon UK as well), I bit on the Klempff set recommended by Chalupa at Amazon UK. This set seems to be priced around $90-$100 in the states, so $40 is a very nice price. Looking forward to it.

Even though I already have the referenced Barenboim EMI Complete Sonatas set and enjoy it (picked up cheap a while back form Amazon UK as well), I bit on the Klempff set recommended by Chalupa at Amazon UK. This set seems to be priced around $90-$100 in the states, so $40 is a very nice price. Looking forward to it.

Actually that was Ron's recommendation. I ended up buying two copies of the Kempff 50's set. Ron - they should give you a comission. :P

Guy

Hey Kirby--sorry I couldn't answer your question earlier, but I just got in.

BTW, I've been investigating the various releases of Schnabel, including listening to online samples. It looks like the general consensus is that the EMI box has too much NR, whereas the Pearl releases have virtually no NR, but a lot of high end surface noise, which could be a bit fatiguing after a while. Naxos has released all of Schnabel's Beethoven sonata recordings on 9 separate discs, and apparently went to great lengths to locate multiple copies of the original 78s to ensure it had the best sources. Additionally, Naxos used much less NR than EMI, providing sort of a compromise between the approaches of EMI and Pearl. The best price I've found for the Naxos discs is $6.64 each at JPC.de. Incidentally, like its price for the Kempff set, Amazon.co.uk also has an insanely low price for the EMI box: 15.31 pounds (that's POUNDS, Kirby, not Euros :P ), which is equal to about $29!

Personally, I haven't quite decided which way to go on this.

At that price I think I might have to pick up the Naxosas well. I'd like to compare it to the EMI version.

BTW, I've been investigating the various releases of Schnabel, including listening to online samples. It looks like the general consensus is that the EMI box has too much NR, whereas the Pearl releases have virtually no NR, but a lot of high end surface noise, which could be a bit fatiguing after a while. Naxos has released all of Schnabel's Beethoven sonata recordings on 9 separate discs, and apparently went to great lengths to locate multiple copies of the original 78s to ensure it had the best sources. Additionally, Naxos used much less NR than EMI, providing sort of a compromise between the approaches of EMI and Pearl.

The Schnabel set is the benchmark for me. I still have my Angel set from the '60s. I bought a couple of the Pearl sets and though I generally prefer a "non-intervention" approach for transfers, I found these too noisy for pleasure.

I currently have a box on Dante (14 discs of Schnabel Beethoven) but it seems to be oop.

Actually that was Ron's recommendation. I ended up buying two copies of the Kempff 50's set. Ron - they should give you a comission. :P

Oops. Well, whoever's it was, I bit.

Actually, it looks like they sorta did. I just noticed that the price has gone up slightly since I ordered a set a couple of days ago, from 17 to 18.70 pounds (from $32.46 to $35.71). I wonder if that increase was automatically triggered by a sudden surge in orders generated on this Board? :blush:

It's still a fantastic price, however.

#28) Op. 101 -- The fugue in the finale is really something. Beethoven had some other famous fugues (the Grosse Fuge for string quartet, the finale of the Hammerklavier) and those tend to be heavy, challenging pieces of music; they're the musical equivalent of Coltrane's late work in terms of density and intensity of ideas. But the #28 finale mixes contrapuntal complexity with Beethoven's wit and humor. (At least, I find it humorous.)

Wouldn't you say it's the other way around, Coltrane's late work being the musical equivalent of Beethoven's in terms of density and intensity of ideas? ;)

I bought a couple of the Pearl sets and though I generally prefer a "non-intervention" approach for transfers, I found these too noisy for pleasure.

That's the impression I've been getting from the on-line samples, but your opinion of the actual discs is the "final nail" for me. It looks like those Naxos discs may be a nice sonic compromise.

I ordered two copies over the weekend and they arrived here this morning. That's faster then ordering domestically. :)

I ordered two copies over the weekend and they arrived here this morning. That's faster then ordering domestically. :)

My copy arrived today, also. :excited:

For anyone looking to pick up one of the truly classic complete sets of Beethoven's piano sonatas, Amazon.UK has the 1950's Kempff set on Deutsche Grammophon for the ridiculously low price of 17 pounds (about $32.50) exluding VAT, which those outside the UK don't pay (the 2.97 pounds VAT is automatically deducted during checkout). (...)

Actually, that bit about VAT is not quite correct; VAT is not deducted for EU residents, only for those outside the EU.