West Coast Jazz

Head Man

I tend to agree with both MG and Larry with regard to a number of solo recordings by Joe Pass .

However, his many small group recordings with Count Basie, Milt Jackson, Jimmy Rowles, Zoot Sims and Joe's own trio and quartet

are highly swinging and enjoyable to my ears.

Ah, so it's a mistake to pass up a Milt Jackson album just because Pass is on it? Noted, thanks.

MG

To be Frank and Ernest, Ella Fitzgerald ain't no Irene Reid, Etta Jones or Gloria Lynne. Pass wouldn't stop me buying one of THEIR albums.

MG

Well of course, Ella Fitzgerald was truly one of a kind -- head and shoulders above the fingernails on a chalkboard type screeching that Etta Jones specialized in.

I like later Etta Jones too...predictable, but...why not? It was a good groove.

Regarding Pablo, it's funny, I look at used LPs and see a Pablo with Jaws on it and first reaction is DAMN how have I not heard/seen this one before, and then I get to looking at who else is on it, and it'll be, like Joe Pass, or Bobby Durham, or Louis Bellson (fine musicians all, just not what I prefer on instinct), and it's like, oh, THAT'S why.

OTOH, Big Joe Turner had a magnificent run on the label, slurryass strokevoice and bands and all. Didn't matter who was on his records (or how rehearsed they were or weren't), as they say, have no fear, Big Joe is here, and that trumped everybody/everything else.

I mean, dude, LEE ALLEN! On Pablo!

Etta Jones has just never done it for me. She has her fans, so obviously it's my issue, not hers. However, the mere sound of her voice simply makes me cringe, iyt is so painful to my ear. It is a visceral reaction that I have had with no other singer. There have been more than a few Houston Person CDs that I had to pass on just because she appeared on a track or two.

Etta Jones has just never done it for me. She has her fans, so obviously it's my issue, not hers. However, the mere sound of her voice simply makes me cringe, iyt is so painful to my ear. It is a visceral reaction that I have had with no other singer. There have been more than a few Houston Person CDs that I had to pass on just because she appeared on a track or two.

My wife says the same thing. She also says it about Irene Reid, so perhaps you wouldn't like her either.

MG

I like later Etta Jones too...predictable, but...why not? It was a good groove.

Regarding Pablo, it's funny, I look at used LPs and see a Pablo with Jaws on it and first reaction is DAMN how have I not heard/seen this one before, and then I get to looking at who else is on it, and it'll be, like Joe Pass, or Bobby Durham, or Louis Bellson (fine musicians all, just not what I prefer on instinct), and it's like, oh, THAT'S why.

OTOH, Big Joe Turner had a magnificent run on the label, slurryass strokevoice and bands and all. Didn't matter who was on his records (or how rehearsed they were or weren't), as they say, have no fear, Big Joe is here, and that trumped everybody/everything else.

I mean, dude, LEE ALLEN! On Pablo!

And Wild Bill Moore!!!

MG