2015 NEA Jazz Masters announced

Mike Schwartz

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be interesting to see a list of all winners, since offhand I have little idea.

I get the impression that you don't win until you are ancient. I mean, everyone in the new class was born in the 1930s.

Have relative youngsters like Joe Lovano and Pat Metheny gotten it, or on the verge?

Jump up

Seriously, Mike Wofford -- lots of fine, quite individual playing over the years, albeit in later years away from major jazz centers

With some question marks: Gary Peacock, Barbara Carroll. The latter more into cabaret in later years but a notable player for a good while; the former ... early on, yes; later on, it's up to you.

actually I wasn't damning with faint praise; Henderson did great work on shows like Ain't Misbehavin, which was way above the usual; more than a craftsman. And had a very interesting career.

and Barbara Carroll is a great pianist; there is a Bluenote LP she did (late 70s? Early 80s?) which showed how well she could still play and how well she had kept up with harmonic developments.

Edited by AllenLowe

actually I wasn't damning with faint praise; Henderson did great work on shows like Ain't Misbehavin, which was way above the usual; more than a craftsman. And had a very interesting career.

OK, but a JAZZ master? If, say, Billy Byers were still with us, would he be one? And I'm pretty sure that Byers' jazz credentials were more substantial than Henderson's.

George Cables who is a wonderful pianist, and has played and recorded regularly with Art Pepper, Dexter Gordon, and countless other top level jazz players.

I wholeheartedly agree. We can also copy this post into the 'Nice Guy Musicians' thread. :tup

Just for the record, I "nominated" George in both threads!!! He's most deserving!

Edited by ValerieB

Larry, I wasn't seriously suggesting Henderson; I was only responding to your response to my response that he was a very good B'way arranger; you seemed to think that I was putting him down for being that.

on the other hand, he makes as much sense as Charles Lloyd.

Edited by AllenLowe

Larry, I wasn't seriously suggesting Henderson; I was only responding to your response to my response that he was a very good B'way arranger; you seemed to think that I was putting him down for being that.

on the other hand, he makes as much sense as Charles Lloyd.

No, I was (kind of) putting him down for that -- in the sense that if that was his chief claim to fame (aside from orchestrating some things for Ellington), then why was he named a jazz master?