Catching Up With Brandon Evans

CraigP

Saxophonist and composer Brandon Evans is probably best known for his work with Anthony Braxton beginning in the 90’s. Evans also collaborated with Sonny Simmons on several albums issued on Evans’ Parallactic Records label. He produced and directed a documentary in 2003 about Simmons called The Multiple Rated X Truth.

Evans seemed to drop out of site for several years, and releases on his label became highly sought-after by collectors, such as the excellent 3 CDR set of duets with Anthony Braxton, Elliptical Axis 15.

In recent months, however, Evans has uploaded all the Parallactic releases to his Bandcamp page. And now, there’s even better news: All of these albums are available for download for free, or “name your price”, during the month of July. One of these is a new release entitled Harbors.

You can read more about Evans and his recordings on my blog.

Brandon Evans Bandcamp page.

a3753779392_2.jpg

Interesting player. Good to see he's back. I enjoyed Comp. 249 with Braxton and the Solo/Midtown NYC 2001 is a nice one.

I wonder if this is the same Brandon Evans that took my money and failed to supply any CDs.

Yes. There were some issues with ordering from Parallactic in its waning days, though some folks got refunds.