Charlie Haden R.I.P.

ghost of miles

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Shape of Jazz to Come must've been one of the first 20 jazz albums I bought, and my respect for and appreciation of Charlie Haden has continued to grow over the subsequent years. I saw Haden a few years ago with a version of Quartet West that included Joe Lovano and Billy Hart in addition to regular member Alan Broadbent. I was struck by Haden's patient, melodic, composer's approach to improvising and his deep, dark sound. I remember the group playing a particularly beautiful version of 'First Song'. As he mentioned that he would be selling CDs after the set, I remember hustling to find an ATM in order to buy the first Quartet West album, which he signed. I've long regretted not being able to catch the whole set of Haden playing with Ravi Coltrane, Jack DeJohnette, Geri Allen and Brandee Younger a few years before that. However, I'm thankful that I was later able to see that Quartet West set and meet him briefly.

Thank you for the music, Mr. Haden, and rest in peace.

Charlie Haden's albums of duets on A&M/Horizon, "Closeness" and "The Golden Number", made a huge impact on me as I was getting into jazz, from rock.

hear, hear! those recordings are very important to me, too...

Yes, 'Closeness' was an early purchase for me. Be nice to see 'The Golden Number' on CD/mp3 - I've never heard it.

"The Golden Number" has been released on CD... I have a copy. It's an attractive gatefold package similar to the original vinyl release.

saw the quartet west only once, i remember it- i was real aware of ernie watts, but at that time i didnt know about larance marable, and his jamming w/ wardell, frank morgan, sonny criss and dexter. ill never forgot charlie haden had a huge plexiglass sound-wall encompassing him at the concert, i think so he could hear himself while he played, im not sure.

Charlie Haden's albums of duets on A&M/Horizon, "Closeness" and "The Golden Number", made a huge impact on me as I was getting into jazz, from rock.

Yes, 'Closeness' was an early purchase for me. Be nice to see 'The Golden Number' on CD/mp3 - I've never heard it.

"The Golden Number" has been released on CD... I have a copy. It's an attractive gatefold package similar to the original vinyl release.

Thanks Headman.

Seems to have been out at one point on CD but no longer in print. Copies are lurking around but rather expensively. Seems to be downloadable in some places but not the UK.

I'll wait. These things have a habit of surfacing when you least expect them. Plenty of other Haden to enjoy at home as it is.

I've got a regular jewel case edition last year ... just saw the digipack version in a shop recently.

Ethan Iverson has collected thoughts from a sprawling multi-generational cast of some 40 musicians. Valuable. .

http://dothemath.typepad.com/dtm/liberation-chorus.html

Thanks for posting, skimmed through it to get to the artists whose thoughts i was most interested in but will go back and read it properly at some point. Some very interesting and illuminating thoughts there.

Re Chuck's comments I wonder how much of the negativity he experienced personally was directly related to addiction.

That's what I was thinking, Charlie had drug problems when he was younger.

I wonder if he was a bigger jerk than Ginger Baker or less of a bigger jerk than Ginger Baker?

Doesn't matter, because I love the music. Chronic illness can also influence your mood. It wears you down and sometimes one can say or do things you wouldn't normally do.

Edited by six string

Ethan Iverson has collected thoughts from a sprawling multi-generational cast of some 40 musicians. Valuable. .

Thanks for posting that, Mark.

What a wonderful set of tributes. Nothing from Ornette though, which I find surprising... or is it?

Not really -- Ornette is not in great health these days, and it's always been tough to get him. You either need to have his direct number (and a prior relationship or temperament that allows you to cold call); or you need to go through family to reach him and that can be complicated.

Thanks for posting that, Mark.

What a wonderful set of tributes. Nothing from Ornette though, which I find surprising... or is it?

Not really -- Ornette is not in great health these days, and it's always been tough to get him. You either need to have his direct number (and a prior relationship or temperament that allows you to cold call); or you need to go through family to reach him and that can be complicated.

I assumed that was the reason.