Charlie Haden R.I.P.

ghost of miles

409849aec5.jpg

Title says it all.........very sad, RIP

That's a very special album .. will have to pull this out and spin it later today. Same goes for the other duets on Closeness.

I think everybody here on the forum has some music with Charlie Haden playing in his collection that he really loves, and that is quite an achievement. R.I.P.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very sad to hear of Haden's passing!

Great musician.

I had the pleasure of having him at my place back in the early 70s after he saw the impressive film documentary 'Mourir a Madrid' which had some of the music that inspired him for his first Liberation Music album. Haden met the film director Frédéric Rossif while in Paris and wanted to have Rossif listen to the Impulse album which had recently been released. Haden was told I had the LP and had Rossif come to my aparment for a listening session. A very interesting afternoon.

Haden was very nice and and very firm on his leftist convictions.

Great musician.

I had the pleasure of having him at my place back in the early 70s after he saw the impressive film documentary 'Mourir a Madrid' which had some of the music that inspired him for his first Liberation Music album. Haden met the film director Frédéric Rossif while in Paris and wanted to have Rossif listen to the Impulse album which had recently been released. Haden was told I had the LP and had Rossif come to my aparment for a listening session. A very interesting afternoon.

thnx for sharing......

Great musician.

It's good to hear these personal tributes, from those that met him, today. They reinforce what I'd hoped was the case from the distance of a fan

Charlie was very key in my initial appreciation of jazz, and Prayer from Keith Jarrett's Death and the Flower will always be the first thing I think of when I think of Charlie. Deep and soulful, and then the hint of Spanish guitar strumming here and there. Personally only Max Roach and Walt Dickerson have been losses I have felt as deeply as this one. JSngry has the right viewpoint here, celebration of a life well sung. Re Chuck's comments I wonder how much of the negativity he experienced personally was directly related to addiction. Other highlights for me are Paul Motian's Tribute, Law Years and much of the work of the Keith Jarrett American quartet.

I first became aware of him when Robert Wyatt recorded a version of 'Song for Che'. Then his beautiful playing on parts of 'Escalator Over the Hill' followed by the Jarrett American band. It was Haden's presence that made me take the chance on 'The State of Jazz to Come' which I was a bit scared of.

I just realized that the last music I bought was the recently released Jarrett/Haden duo cd which I downloaded after reading this review:

http://thebluemoment.com/2014/06/17/jarrett-haden-revisited/.

Charlie Haden was probably the musician I've seen perform most often since living in California both with Quartet West and with The Liberation Jazz Orchestra. I think I took him for granted because I used to see him around town, sometimes at film studios where I guess he was working. I once ran into him with his son-in-law Jack Black at a Keith Jarrett solo concert at Disney Hall. Every so often he'd show up as guest dj on KCRW. And a month or so ago I saw his daughters perform at a Santa Barbara club.

I know he'll be missed all around the world but here in Southern California he'll also be missed as a local hero.

Charlie was very key in my initial appreciation of jazz, and Prayer from Keith Jarrett's Death and the Flower will always be the first thing I think of when I think of Charlie. Deep and soulful, and then the hint of Spanish guitar strumming here and there. Personally only Max Roach and Walt Dickerson have been losses I have felt as deeply as this one. JSngry has the right viewpoint here, celebration of a life well sung. Re Chuck's comments I wonder how much of the negativity he experienced personally was directly related to addiction. Other highlights for me are Paul Motian's Tribute, Law Years and much of the work of the Keith Jarrett American quartet.

My favorite work with him seems to be from around this period, late 60s through mid 70s. Columbia and ECM in particular did an exceptional job of recording him.

Re Chuck's comments I wonder how much of the negativity he experienced personally was directly related to addiction.

That's what I was thinking, Charlie had drug problems when he was younger.

I wonder if he was a bigger jerk than Ginger Baker or less of a bigger jerk than Ginger Baker?

Doesn't matter, because I love the music.

a very important, if oblique, personal influence. In a very brief conversation, when I was about 15, Haden pretty much taught me how to improvise. Like a lot of musicians he was, apparently, of multiple personalities and moods. Fortunately I never got anywhere near enough to him to be effected.

http://www.studentaffairs.columbia.edu/wkcr/story/charlie-haden-memorial-broadcast-sunday-july-13th-2pm

Join us at WKCR as we honor the life and career of legendary jazz bassist Charlie Haden, who passed away at the age of 76 years this Friday, July 11th. Tune in during tonight's Jazz Alternatives from 6-9pm for a special tribute to Haden. A more extensive, comprehensive memorial broadcast will run from 2pm on Sunday, July 13th through 9pm on Monday, July 14th, preempting all regular programming.

http://www.studentaffairs.columbia.edu/wkcr/story/charlie-haden-memorial-broadcast-sunday-july-13th-2pm

Join us at WKCR as we honor the life and career of legendary jazz bassist Charlie Haden, who passed away at the age of 76 years this Friday, July 11th. Tune in during tonight's Jazz Alternatives from 6-9pm for a special tribute to Haden. A more extensive, comprehensive memorial broadcast will run from 2pm on Sunday, July 13th through 9pm on Monday, July 14th, preempting all regular programming.

playing vinyl...complete with the snaps and pops.

Not sure how I missed this, but I'm sorry to hear of it this morning. Almost all of my CDs are still in transit, but tonight I should be able to dig up something I ripped before the move -- maybe the Montreal Tapes.

I've probably seen Haden a few times, though the only time I am certain of is when he brought the Liberation Orchestra to the Chicago Jazz Fest. This appears to have been in 2007. It was the closing set that evening, and I recall a couple of folks from the board snuck off to get to the aftershows early, but I stayed through the whole set. It was quite moving.

Charlie Haden's albums of duets on A&M/Horizon, "Closeness" and "The Golden Number", made a huge impact on me as I was getting into jazz, from rock.

The first time I saw him live was in the first edition of Mingus Dynasty, at the 1979 Ann Arbor Jazz Festival. Sue Mingus gave a talk in the afternoon and said that Charles Mingus had always respected Haden's work, so Haden was her choice for the newly formed Mingus Dynasty band. He performed with John Handy, Jimmy Knepper, Randy Brecker, Joe Farrell, Don Pullen and Dannie Richmond. The group played Charles Mingus songs in arrangements faithful to the original recordings. Jazz repertoire bands were not widely known in 1979, so I wondered if all of the music was going to be a note by note recreation of the Charles Mingus sound, or what. I remember that when Charlie Haden took his first bass solo of the evening, I wondered if he would try to sound like Charles Mingus. He did not. It was purely a Charlie Haden bass solo. Then I thought, of course he would just play his own style. That is what jazz is.

Charlie Haden's albums of duets on A&M/Horizon, "Closeness" and "The Golden Number", made a huge impact on me as I was getting into jazz, from rock.

hear, hear! those recordings are very important to me, too...

Yes, 'Closeness' was an early purchase for me. Be nice to see 'The Golden Number' on CD/mp3 - I've never heard it.

hear, hear! those recordings are very important to me, too...

Yes, 'Closeness' was an early purchase for me. Be nice to see 'The Golden Number' on CD/mp3 - I've never heard it.

It's on Spotify: https://play.spotify.com/album/5IXxc60gtLLSNY3OgpWLAj