Charlie Haden R.I.P.

ghost of miles

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Loved this. Same here. I'm buying the duo CDs because of reading this and I never buy bass/piano duo CDs - plus I havn't bought a Keith Jarrett CD except older recordings since Deer Head Inn and I bought that when it was released.

Steve, i highly recommend checking out some tracks on youtube or wherever first. I really like Jasmine, but i think people are getting a bit worked up about these records at the moment (not here). I haven't heard Last Dance, Jasmine is a fine album but i think it's definitely an album where mileage will vary. With the best possible intentions I highly suggest trying before buying, that is all.

'cept Haden made a whole run of better duo albums with other pianists.

Definitely! Doesn't mean that Jasmine etc can't also be of a high standard... and i do really enjoy Jasmine, but it definitely, definitely, definitely isn't Jarrett and Haden circa 1974... and yes, why should it be, and yes, that is not necessarilly a bad thing, but yeah, anyone who doesn't like recent Jarrett but is getting caught up in the moment and rushing out to buy Jasmine should be fairly forewarned. If you don't like recent Jarrett, don't expect miracles, that's all i'm saying.

Definitely! Doesn't mean that Jasmine etc can't also be of a high standard... and i do really enjoy Jasmine, but it definitely, definitely, definitely isn't Jarrett and Haden circa 1974... and yes, why should it be, and yes, that is not necessarilly a bad thing, but yeah, anyone who doesn't like recent Jarrett but is getting caught up in the moment and rushing out to buy Jasmine should be fairly forewarned. If you don't like recent Jarrett, don't expect miracles, that's all i'm saying.

It's good for what it is (and I'll eventually buy the second helping, too, I'm sure) - but for anyone not buying p/b duos, there's other ones by Haden they ought to look into (the ones w/Hank Jones, Chris Anderson, Hamp Hawes for starters) before I'd even mention the ones w/Jarrett.

It's good for what it is (and I'll eventually buy the second helping, too, I'm sure) - but for anyone not buying p/b duos, there's other ones by Haden they ought to look into (the ones w/Hank Jones, Chris Anderson, Hamp Hawes for starters) before I'd even mention the ones w/Jarrett.

Ah, i see what your saying.

Here's a podcast of some beautiful reminiscences from Pat Metheny, Jack DeJohnette, and Charlie Haden on the recording of 80/81. I always thought that it was Pat vocalizing his enthusiasm for DeJohnette at the end of the Turnaround track, but turns out that was Charlie Haden.

http://www.patmetheny.com/news/full_display.cfm?id=81

I like Jasmine and possibly I like Last Dance a bit more. Very elegant and unrushed. On Last Dance it would have been cool to have had one more uptempo number, along with "Dance of the Infidels."

It's individual preference to go with other duos. I think the first one with Hank Jones was great. But for anyone who likes Haden and Jarrett even a bit, these two newer albums will satisfy.

• 2 weeks later...

Loved this. Same here. I'm buying the duo CDs because of reading this and I never buy bass/piano duo CDs - plus I havn't bought a Keith Jarrett CD except older recordings since Deer Head Inn and I bought that when it was released.

Steve, i highly recommend checking out some tracks on youtube or wherever first. I really like Jasmine, but i think people are getting a bit worked up about these records at the moment (not here). I haven't heard Last Dance, Jasmine is a fine album but i think it's definitely an album where mileage will vary. With the best possible intentions I highly suggest trying before buying, that is all.

Here's a review favoring Last Dance over Jasmine that was written before Haden died .

http://thebluemoment.com/2014/06/17/jarrett-haden-revisited/

Williams also wrote a nice piece after Haden's death:

http://thebluemoment.com/2014/07/12/charlie-haden-1937-2014/

Edited by medjuck

Really...Haden and Jim Hall? I had never heard of Hall being involved at the Montreal shows. Metheny, yes, and yet that one never was released.

A little more Haden and Metheny would be cool. Not that I'd mind Haden and Hall. The only previous collaboration was one track (maybe two) on Jim Hall and Basses (his last Telarc).

Really...Haden and Jim Hall? I had never heard of Hall being involved at the Montreal shows. Metheny, yes, and yet that one never was released.

A little more Haden and Metheny would be cool. Not that I'd mind Haden and Hall. The only previous collaboration was one track (maybe two) on Jim Hall and Basses (his last Telarc).

Interesting!

The Montréal Tapes aren't from 1990 though.