Paul Motian

Bol

I've been listening to some of Paul Motian's last small group records -- some with Frisell and Lovano, and others with other people, including some with vocalists. They are very fine and likable records. I am thinking there must be more music recorded, and wonder whether they will become available some time. Perhaps Frisell and Lovano, or Manfred Eicher or the fellow who runs Winter & Winter will put them out. Hope so. I miss the days when we could expect at least one new Motian record a year.

In the past, there were excellent boots of the trio with Lovano and Frisell up on Dimeadozen. On one from Sweden (10 May, 1996) they open with music from Coltrane's Meditations and Lonnie's Lament. Another from the Barbican (1998) is still up and running. Dimeadozen was my introduction to this trio's music.

I really dig the music on the Paul Motian BS/SN box. It really opened my ears to Lovano. I keep meaning to get the ECM box or the On Broadway box (pricey relative to my desire), but what i'd really like to do is check out more of the Electric Bebop band stuff.

• 3 years later...