Monterey Pop Festival - DVD or CD?

GA Russell

I have had both for many years, wouldn't be without either. If you are only going to get one, get the DVD to better understand the cultural impact/time/place. This event was a landmark, really moreso than Woodstock in a lot of ways. I believe there is a fair amount of music on the CD's that is not on the DVD set.

If it's the Criterion DVD box, that's definitely worth getting for all of the extra footage not in the original film. The CD box is great, too.

I guess it depends on if you want to watch it or listen. Get BOTH!

What BFrank said. The Criterion box is great, I loved every hippie minute of it, it gives you a much better sense of the "vibe" than just the cds.

The Criterion box also contains the films (and complete performances), "Jimi Plays Monterey" and "Shake! Otis at Monterey" which are worth the price of the DVD set alone.

Agree with Felser that Monterey might be a more significant cultural landmark than Woodstock. AFAIK it was the first ever feature length rock concert film.

The Criterion box also contains the films (and complete performances), "Jimi Plays Monterey" and "Shake! Otis at Monterey" which are worth the price of the DVD set alone.

Agree with Felser that Monterey might be a more significant cultural landmark than Woodstock. AFAIK it was the first ever feature length rock concert film.

Another vote for the DVD set, if you must pick only one between it and the CD set. It's essential, and if you've only ever seen the Pennebaker film by itself before, the amount of extra material in this set is eye-opening. The set as a whole does a masterful job of contextualizing Monterey.

If I were buying it now, I'd opt for the Blu-ray version, which is actually cheaper than the DVD version (the only thing that it appears to be missing that the DVD set contains is a 1968 Rolling Stone piece by Jann Wenner). Both can be had at Barnes & Noble for 50% off for another week during their semiannual Criterion sale.

• 1 year later...

71cboZXmTqL._SY445_.jpg

This release has bonus features:
Killing Floor  (3 Camera Angles)
Foxy Lady  (3 Camera Angles)
Like A Rolling Stone  (3 Camera Angles)
Hey Joe  (2 Camera Angles)
Wild Thing  (1 Camera Angle)

Meaning that you can watch the above songs from a particular camera angle.

16 hours ago, l p said:

71cboZXmTqL._SY445_.jpg

This release has bonus features:
Killing Floor  (3 Camera Angles)
Foxy Lady  (3 Camera Angles)
Like A Rolling Stone  (3 Camera Angles)
Hey Joe  (2 Camera Angles)
Wild Thing  (1 Camera Angle)

Meaning that you can watch the above songs from a particular camera angle.

Interesting - I didn't know about this. Thanks.