Today's Tenors

montg

Other than Eric Alexander, I don't have anything from any of the tenor sax players who have come up in the last 10 years or so. There's a bunch of names that I've come across (a few I've also heard as sidemen):

Don Braden, Jimmy Greene, Jesse Davis, Mark Shim, J. D. Allen, J. Redman, James Carter, Javon Jackson, Chris Potter, Marcus Strickland, Tim Warfield (I'm sure I'm overlooking some)...

Where to start? Do any recordings/players stand out from the pack?

Edited by montg

I think Redman has been doing some great work of late. I really enjoyed Elastic and the group cd . . . name is escaping me . . . was very interesting as well, I thought.

I think of Potter as more at home on alto.

James Carter's latest has its moments. He is very, very dexterous. Occasionally I get glimmers of something bigger than sound and dexterity. Hopefully he'll get there for a more extended stay at some point.

--eric

I’m still deep in the grips of discovering Ellery Eskelin. It’s one of those rare fascinations that blocks everybody else out for a time. This also happened to me upon discovering (or in a couple cases, re-discovering) Mingus, Ornette and Quartet Out.

I’m told Ellery’s participating in a thread over at Jazz Corner, and I’d love to check it out, but… and you’ll love the irony… My second or third post at JC was a reply to someone who started a thread asking why AAJ was down for so long (during the Great Hack of ’03). I’m not sure if the thread even lasted 24 hours before being deleted without explanation. Haven’t been back since.

Damn!

of the tenor players you mentioned, i'd heartily recommend:

tim warfield - jazz is...

don braden - wish list

chris potter - movin' in, gratitude

jesse davis - high standards

jimmy green - introducing jimmy greene

and some you didn't mention:

walt weiskopf - man of many colors

craig handy - split second timing

david sanchez - travesia

ralph bowen - soul proprietor

Ron Blake, who appears on our CD, is a fantastic tenor man, just now starting to lead his own dates. He plays and records with Christian McBride's group but has a solo disc out now on the Mack Ave label.

He does some nice stuff on Mary Stallings Live at the Village Vanguard (Maxjazz) as well.