Jimmy Forrest - four classic albums

512orwBvujL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Just saw this at Amazon, when I was buying a book.

Anyone who hasn't got those original Prestige albums is in for a REAL treat with these four!

MG

I have the last two, not the first two. Do you think the first two are in the same league?

MG is a better source on this subject than I, but I'll just say yes - especially Out of the Forrest.

Anyone who hasn't got those original Prestige albums is in for a REAL treat with these four!

MG

I have the last two, not the first two. Do you think the first two are in the same league?

MG is a better source on this subject than I, but I'll just say yes - especially Out of the Forrest.

A note of caution...The music on some of the other sets in this series has come from very dodgy sources. One set contained music from mp3 files, presumably grabbed from somewhere on the Internet.

You may be lucky with this set... on the other hand you may not.

MG

'Soul street' is the weakest of the four, as an album, compiled from bits of sessions, but it's still damn good. Jimmy made five albums as a sole leader for Prestige. The best 4 would have included 'Forrest fire' which has Larry Young and Thornel Schwartz. We're not entitled to perfection, though, and 'Soul street' has some wonderful stuff in there.

I've never come across bad Jimmy Forrest music, as a sideman, co-leader or leader. He was one of the all time greatest stalwarts.

MG

Actually, I SHOULD get this myself, I've only got two of them on CD (though 'Out of the Forrest' is a test pressing and sounds so fabuloso I don't even mind Joe Zawinul's presence).

MG

All three of them:

Night train - Delmark 435 = United LP002 (10") + bonus tracks - 1951-53 (Includes his two hit singles 'Night train' and that hymn to adultery, 'Hey Mrs Jones')

All the gin is gone - Delmark 404 - Dec '59

Black Forrest - Delmark 427 - Dec '59

The last mentioned is cuts left over from 'All the gin is gone' but it doesn't suffer because they're all great.

MG

... I don't even mind Joe Zawinul's presence).

care to elaborate?

I like those albums, all of 'em, and I agree that the ragbag one is the weakest of the five. As for Avid, it has always been my impression that they were somewhat more honest than your regular european PD mining label, as I thought they actually did their own vinyl transfers. But I don't really know more ... don't have all that many of their sets and rarely play the ones I do have.

Still, we must recall that the Avids are boots. Not licensed, artists and labels aren't getting paid, not sourced from session tapes. We can get each of the Forrests from Prestige. Just putting things into perspective.

Edited by mjzee

No, Avids aren't boots - not in the UK and not in Europe (and I assume most of the rest of the worlds). Boots they are when imported to the US :)

And yes, Real Gone has all kinds of bad reputations due to defective/unrippable tracks, MP3 sources etc. Never heard such a thing about Avid. I wouldn't say I'm "very happy" with 'em, but they have some quirky kind of do it yourself charm which stands quite nicely opposite to those professionally looking releases coming out of Spain, with their snazzy layouts and liner notes that are all pretension way too often (and yeah, I guess I do need to exclude Fresh Sound there, they ARE better, no matter what your stance on "boot" or not "boot" or whatever).

If anybody's interested in some really good, stretched out later-day Forrest, find that Waymon Reed side on Artists House, the one that looks like it's a picture of a fried egg on the cover but is really some Art Deco-ish foofaw flimmerjam. I say this in spite of the presence of Bobby Durham.

R-1558456-1228288382.jpeg

If anybody's interested in some really good, stretched out later-day Forrest, find that Waymon Reed side on Artists House, the one that looks like it's a picture of a fried egg on the cover but is really some Art Deco-ish foofaw flimmerjam. I say this in spite of the presence of Bobby Durham.

R-1558456-1228288382.jpeg

Cover didn't come out - try this

Waymon+Reed+-+46th+And+8th+-+LP+RECORD-5

See, you can see it's a trumpet player in a starched dicky shirt.

And it's a bloomin' LURVELY album. And not just for Jimmy Forrest; Waymon Reed is one of the unsung trumpet players. Years in the James Brown band, then Basie, then Thad Jones/Mel Lewis, then married Sarah Vaughn and was her musical director until he died. That was his only album as a leader. He deserved more

MG