How do I add photos to posts?

medjuck

image.jpgThis button.

Copy Amazon image's location and paste URL. (First click the image to enlarge or else you might copy a thumbnail's location instead.)

Alternatively, download any image to your computer, upload image to hosting service such as postimg.org, and copy-paste location of newly uploaded image under above button.

Also, downsize/cut/etc. any image you find using free image manipulation software such as Gimp.

Edited by erwbol

You can also directly attach a file to a post - click on "more reply options" and on the bottom you'll find "choose file" - maximum size is 100KB, so images need to be resized, which is why going through one of those image hosting pages (I use photobucket) makes more sense.

I usually go on http://postimage.org/

Dozen of other sites are equivalent.

You upload a picture from your computer, copy the direct link and then use the method above. You can suppress the picture anytime from the server using another link.

If you use this what size do you choose? (It suggests 640X480 for message boards.)

Thanks for the help. I just made it work. See Return of the Film Corner.

You can also directly attach a file to a post - click on "more reply options" and on the bottom you'll find "choose file" - maximum size is 100KB, so images need to be resized, which is why going through one of those image hosting pages (I use photobucket) makes more sense.

And when I do that I get a thumbnail.

I usually go on http://postimage.org/

Dozen of other sites are equivalent.

You upload a picture from your computer, copy the direct link and then use the method above. You can suppress the picture anytime from the server using another link.

If you use this what size do you choose? (It suggests 640X480 for message boards.)

Doesn't matter much, as the software often seems to smallen them or adjust them to display/window size. Those are external links (the image remains on amazon or allmusic or the blog you found it on, or alternatively in your account on one of those image hosting sites, if you decide to open one). For the forum, such linked to images are less of a burden than using the attachment/thumbnail function (which places the file on the server). However, even in our times of high speed and flat rate internet, having many huge (that would be quite some more than 640 x 480 though!) images might take a moment to load on the board members' computers when opening such a thread. Still, I'd not use the attachment function much.

image.jpgThis button.

Copy Amazon image's location and paste URL. (First click the image to enlarge or else you might copy a thumbnail's location instead.)

Alternatively, download any image to your computer, upload image to hosting service such as postimg.org, and copy-paste location of newly uploaded image under above button.

Also, downsize/cut/etc. any image you find using free image manipulation software such as Gimp.

OK but how do you get the location of just the image without everything around it. (As I said pretend I'm really stupid.)

image.jpgThis button.

OK but how do you get the location of just the image without everything around it. (As I said pretend I'm really stupid.)

Right-click on the image, which should give you some choices. Choose "view image." That will make the picture appear on its own. That's where you copy the URL and paste it, using the button erwbol showed above.

image.jpgThis button.

Right-click on the image, which should give you some choices. Choose "view image." That will make the picture appear on its own. That's where you copy the URL and paste it, using the button erwbol showed above.

Or else right-click and select "Copy Image Location" (at least under OS X).

• 5 months later...

In attempting to post images, I sometimes get the message that "the image is not allowed by this community." Is there a rule of thumb or just a rule as to what is permitted and what is not. Thanks.

It has to do with the type of file. As far as I know, the only images that work here are those whose URL ends with .jpg or .jpeg. (Someone correct this info if it's wrong.)