BFT 125 Discussion

awesome_welles

Have had a brief listen to most of the tunes so far and will post more thoughts later. Like HP above I recognise Abdullah Ibrahim on track one but its not a track I know. I love to listen to him though and had the pleasure of meeting him briefly last month and hearing him play a short solo set. This is a great track!

Here's the first part ---

1 – Must recuse myself on this one because I saw a hypertag identifying the artists, people whose work I love. The comments already posted in this thread prove that we have some sharp-eared listeners in this room.

2 – Recognition of this one kicks in after a while. Track 5 here. The leader doesn't get as much credit as he deserves for his writing.

3 – Probably not Sonny Clark or Wynton Kelly, but the light articulation reminds me of them. Delightful. Each chorus is better than the one before.

4 – A very strange arrangement of Stardust, circa 1959. The tenor, quick to latch on to the Coltrane influence, fascinates me.

5 – "The Train and the River," Giuffre and Hall, back in the day. It reminds me -- why aren't there more attempts to reflect a country influence in jazz?

6 – A Dameronian chart, with more notes than Dameron would have written. Tenor sounds almost like Paul Gonsalves. Weird and wonderful. On second thought, is this Johnny Griffin on Riverside?

7 – Pleasantly "heavy" groove. The guitar sounds very Ulmeresque, and I like it that way. Cuts off abruptly.

8 – Oh, gosh, I have a lot of records that sound like this one. Nice tune, circa 1958. The trumpeter has me guessing Donald Byrd and the bassist has me guessing Paul Chambers.

(edited to make that darn link work)

Edited by Spontooneous

Well I'm glad you're all enjoying track one (and you're right of course about who it is). It was one of the albums I would play over and over when I was first getting into jazz.

Here's the first part ---

1 – Must recuse myself on this one because I saw a hypertag identifying the artists, people whose work I love. The comments already posted in this thread prove that we have some sharp-eared listeners in this room.

Damn, I thought I'd gotten rid of those pesky tags!

2 – Recognition of this one kicks in after a while. Track 5 here. The leader doesn't get as much credit as he deserves for his writing.

I haven't heard very much of his work other than this to be honest but based on this album I'd have to agree with you.

3 – Probably not Sonny Clark or Wynton Kelly, but the light articulation reminds me of them. Delightful. Each chorus is better than the one before.

4 – A very strange arrangement of Stardust, circa 1959. The tenor, quick to latch on to the Coltrane influence, fascinates me.

5 – "The Train and the River," Giuffre and Hall, back in the day. It reminds me -- why aren't there more attempts to reflect a country influence in jazz?

Yep. On the country/jazz tangent, I wonder if you've heard any of "Soulgrass" by the saxophonist Bill Evans? I bought it again when I was just beginning to listen to jazz and quite liked it although after relistening to it recently I've realised how much my tastes have changed (although I still like Bela Fleck's solos).

6 – A Dameronian chart, with more notes than Dameron would have written. Tenor sounds almost like Paul Gonsalves. Weird and wonderful. On second thought, is this Johnny Griffin on Riverside?

Nope

7 – Pleasantly "heavy" groove. The guitar sounds very Ulmeresque, and I like it that way. Cuts off abruptly.

This is one of the tracks that I recorded off an LP and it looks like I've truncated a few seconds at the end of the track! Sorry about that.

8 – Oh, gosh, I have a lot of records that sound like this one. Nice tune, circa 1958. The trumpeter has me guessing Donald Byrd and the bassist has me guessing Paul Chambers.

One of those guesses is right

(edited to make that darn link work)

Edit: After checking the end of track 7.

Edited by awesome_welles

BFT125

Wotcher cock!

1 This is South African or I’m a Dutchman! Very Dollar Brand-ish piano but might not be him, as he was pretty influential there. Could be Lionel Pillay, who also plays a nice organ. This is really nice. (I wouldn’t rule out Abdullah Ibrahim as a sideman, because the piano playing is a lot like him, but the piece as a whole doesn’t match what I’ve heard of him.)

I reckon a lot of people would get bored with this, at almost seventeen minutes, because there’s not the kind of variety we expect of a western piece of music, but I’m not finding it boring (well, I don’t usually find material like this boring). A really nice start to a BFT.

2 Cor! Ravishing start to this. It’s a fairly modern clarinet player, I’d guess, and so are the rest of the group. But there’s no trying to outdo Lee Morgan here; just a bunch of people getting it on quietly and with a certain authority. But something familiar about the pianist.

3 Another kind of unassuming track that makes me think of John Lewis – a somewhat later Lewis than I’m used to, I suspect.

4 ‘Stardust’ by gad! The trumpet player was playing too loud when he came in. And the sax player – well, I just don’t like his sound. Extraneous noises abound but the vibes player could be Hamp.

5 This reminds me of a Jimmy Giuffre piece I heard fifty-something years ago – I think it was ‘The train and the river’. I didn’t think much of it then, as I recall. Now (assuming it IS the came record) I think the players are trying too hard to be clever and different.

6 I feel I know this but I know I don’t.

7 A very compelling piece of music this. I recently got an Alex Harding album and this seems to be a lot like him.

Sudden stop? Was there an announcement?

8 This one seems like any old bunch of studio musicians put together to play someone’s arrangements. Can’t honestly say there’s anything there to hold my interest long enough to make a stab at identification.

9 Attractive little riff, done quite nicely.

10 Oh, it’s ‘That old feeling’. Something’s familiar about the pianist, so I expect he’s quite well known. But I don’t like or recognise the jangly sound he was getting early on, before the band came in. As it’s live, I guess that’s something piano players have to put up with.

11 Don’t like this one at all. Is that Dave Holland on bass?

12 ‘Love for sale’ – a rather off-centred rhythmic approach to this, but bloody ‘ell, does it swing! Sounds like Sonny Criss. Yes, I’m sure it’s Sonny Criss. No one plays like Sonny!

I don’t think I’ve got this recording and wonder why, because I thought I had all his own albums. It’s not from his

Imperial album of Coal Porter songs. I’m really looking forward to hear which album this comes from.

13 ‘All the things you are’ with a horrid synthesised bass underpinning a kind of artificial white funk groove that grew out of rock-jazz fusion and epitomises all I dislike about that kind of music. Really bleedin’ awful – sorry.

14 Oh, this nearly sounds like someone imitating Blue Mitchell to start off with. But Blue wouldn’t play as loudly as this. And, as it goes along, it sounds less and less like Blue Mitchell and more and more like someone who hasn’t got his own voice. Not that it’s not quite nice – it is quite nice, though the dog is grumbling fiercely about it (poor taste on his part).

15 ‘Summertime’ by a singer I’ve never heard before. Oh, It’s Sam Cooke! Well, I have heard him before, then. Or maybe it’s Johnny Taylor. I’ve heard him before, too. But I think I’m sure it’s Sam. Very nice ending for the

programme, whichever it is.

On to Admiral Dele Abiodun and his Top Hitters Band :)

A very interesting BFT, Adam - thanks.

Now to look at the replies and find out a thing or two.

MG

#7 is "Follow Your Heart", composed by John McLaughlin. I first heard it on his "My Goals Beyond" album. Joe Farrell recorded a good version of this song on one of his early 1970s solo albums. http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41A99XZIo3L._SY450_.jpg

This is not the Joe Farrell recording obviously. I like this recording of it a lot. I have no idea who it is and I want to know! I want to get this!

In fact, this may be my favorite recording of "Follow Your Heart."

Edited by Hot Ptah

BFT125

Wotcher cock!

1 This is South African or I’m a Dutchman! Very Dollar Brand-ish piano but might not be him, as he was pretty influential there. Could be Lionel Pillay, who also plays a nice organ. This is really nice. (I wouldn’t rule out Abdullah Ibrahim as a sideman, because the piano playing is a lot like him, but the piece as a whole doesn’t match what I’ve heard of him.)

I reckon a lot of people would get bored with this, at almost seventeen minutes, because there’s not the kind of variety we expect of a western piece of music, but I’m not finding it boring (well, I don’t usually find material like this boring). A really nice start to a BFT.

Good guess. This track does seem to be getting a lot of love, which is nice!

2 Cor! Ravishing start to this. It’s a fairly modern clarinet player, I’d guess, and so are the rest of the group. But there’s no trying to outdo Lee Morgan here; just a bunch of people getting it on quietly and with a certain authority. But something familiar about the pianist.

It's beautiful isn't it! I'm slightly surprised no one has mentioned the (to my ears) dodgy intonation on the cello solo though.

3 Another kind of unassuming track that makes me think of John Lewis – a somewhat later Lewis than I’m used to, I suspect.

Not John Lewis I'm afraid. Small (probably too small) clue: I included this trio version of this piece instead of another recording which includes two well known and fairly easily identifiable soloists.

4 ‘Stardust’ by gad! The trumpet player was playing too loud when he came in. And the sax player – well, I just don’t like his sound. Extraneous noises abound but the vibes player could be Hamp.

5 This reminds me of a Jimmy Giuffre piece I heard fifty-something years ago – I think it was ‘The train and the river’. I didn’t think much of it then, as I recall. Now (assuming it IS the came record) I think the players are trying too hard to be clever and different.

Yep it's that very same piece. Good memory!

6 I feel I know this but I know I don’t.

7 A very compelling piece of music this. I recently got an Alex Harding album and this seems to be a lot like him.

Sudden stop? Was there an announcement?

See above.

8 This one seems like any old bunch of studio musicians put together to play someone’s arrangements. Can’t honestly say there’s anything there to hold my interest long enough to make a stab at identification.

Ouch!

9 Attractive little riff, done quite nicely.

10 Oh, it’s ‘That old feeling’. Something’s familiar about the pianist, so I expect he’s quite well known. But I don’t like or recognise the jangly sound he was getting early on, before the band came in. As it’s live, I guess that’s something piano players have to put up with.

11 Don’t like this one at all. Is that Dave Holland on bass?

Nope, 'fraid not.

12 ‘Love for sale’ – a rather off-centred rhythmic approach to this, but bloody ‘ell, does it swing! Sounds like Sonny Criss. Yes, I’m sure it’s Sonny Criss. No one plays like Sonny!

Yep, nice call!

I don’t think I’ve got this recording and wonder why, because I thought I had all his own albums. It’s not from his

Imperial album of Coal Porter songs. I’m really looking forward to hear which album this comes from.

13 ‘All the things you are’ with a horrid synthesised bass underpinning a kind of artificial white funk groove that grew out of rock-jazz fusion and epitomises all I dislike about that kind of music. Really bleedin’ awful – sorry.

Haha, don't apologise! Actually out of all the tracks here, I included this one more to see what reaction it would get (although that's not to say I dislike it). I am interested to know more about this "artificial white funk groove" though.

14 Oh, this nearly sounds like someone imitating Blue Mitchell to start off with. But Blue wouldn’t play as loudly as this. And, as it goes along, it sounds less and less like Blue Mitchell and more and more like someone who hasn’t got his own voice. Not that it’s not quite nice – it is quite nice, though the dog is grumbling fiercely about it (poor taste on his part).

I love Blue Mitchell but as you realised this isn't him. I'll have to respectfully disagree with the analysis that this guy hasn't got his own voice though.

15 ‘Summertime’ by a singer I’ve never heard before. Oh, It’s Sam Cooke! Well, I have heard him before, then. Or maybe it’s Johnny Taylor. I’ve heard him before, too. But I think I’m sure it’s Sam. Very nice ending for the

programme, whichever it is.

Yep it's Sam Cooke.

On to Admiral Dele Abiodun and his Top Hitters Band :)

A very interesting BFT, Adam - thanks.

My pleasure. I'm glad you enjoyed (most of) it.

Now to look at the replies and find out a thing or two.

MG

Ah! Got #12. It's probably the bonus track on the CD version of 'This is Criss, with Walter Davis, Alan Dawson and Paul Chambers. I've only got the LP, which is why I didn't know it.

Spot on!

MG

#7 is "Follow Your Heart", composed by John McLaughlin. I first heard it on his "My Goals Beyond" album. Joe Farrell recorded a good version of this song on one of his early 1970s solo albums. http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41A99XZIo3L._SY450_.jpg

This is not the Joe Farrell recording obviously. I like this recording of it a lot. I have no idea who it is and I want to know! I want to get this!

Well identified although "Follow Your Heart" was actually not the original title and so this track technically has a different name!

This contains a "Follow Your Heart" not to be missed.

http://www.billfrisell.com/downloads/live-tokyo-japan-july-21-2000

Well identified although "Follow Your Heart" was actually not the original title and so this track technically has a different name!

Ah, it's really neat including a well known tune under another title - makes it virtually impossible to identify the recording from researching the tune. I do that a time or two :D

MG

Struth! I got four!!

MG

This one nearly got away from me... just like summer did. Had some success for a change! By and large, just what the doctor ordered for a late summer listen.

Track 1 - I’m in immediately. Sensing Ibrahim. That voice in the opening sure sounds like Johnny Dyani. Ah, yes… there it is. This is Ibrahim and JD. Track 1 from this. Two absolute masters. Beautiful.

Track 2 - Not a clarinet fan, but this works. Seems to me that this is not a clarinetist by trade, but a doubler. Something Brubeckian about that comping, but the bass is reminiscent of some of the Ron Carter CTI stuff. Not sure who it is, but I enjoyed that piano solo a helluva lot more than I would if it were Brubeck (or so it would seem).
Track 3 - This has that reliable swinging feel. Reminds me of something Ray Bryant or Hampton Hawes would play, though I don’t think it’s either. Mad chops.
Track 4 - Sure sounds like a boot of Booker Ervin to me. It’s Stardust. Oh, wait. I have it as part of this.
Track 5 - Odd, folkish song. It’s interesting, but I’m not sure if I actually like it. The guitar does not endear it to me. Could be Giuffre.
Track 6 - I should know this tenor (and believe I do, but can’t produce a name). Lovely ballad. Oh, wait… :) Actually, the interlude is a nice spice to have in there. I like this a lot.
Track 7 - That’s gotta be John Surman. Though I don’t believe I have this, I must acquire it. Did you mean to cut it off, or did I have an issue with the download? Perhaps an alternate take of something from Where Fortune Smiles?
Track 8 - Very straight ahead, but not sure who it might be. I liked it, but not sure how well it maintained my focus.
Track 9 - This is quirky and interesting. Reminds me of Tapscott’s Sleeping Giant Awakened in the beginning. No idea what this is. That bari is pretty sweet, though.
Track 10 - Drummer isn’t really in tune with the pianist, but the pianist is killin’ it. Wow… drummer is really off-putting… reminds me of a Keno Duke record I have — same thing, just keeping time as though he’s the only one in the room. Some sick bop lines in that solo.
Track 11 - Oh yeah! That’s my man Pharoah with Sonny Sharrock! Track 2 from this.
Track 12 - Love for Sale (but at this tempo, neither the seller nor the buyer are going to be pleased. That’s Sonny Criss, track 8 from this. Sounds like Roy Haynes on drums, but I know that it’s Alan Dawson doing his best impression of Roy. Sonny was a gunfighter — blazing technique.
Track 13 - Despite the sacrilegious nature, I like this. It seems like something that would happen at the end of a jam when everybody was just tired of playing standards. Not enamored of the soloists. I’m starting to believe that they may have actually be serious, but not all that capable.
Track 14 - I want to say nice ballad, but something is bugging me about the trumpet. Huh… it has summoned a chipmunk to my doorstep, however. Even when I told him to beat it, he stayed. I want to imagine he is tapping his foot. Very open trumpet sound. I wonder if it might be somebody like John McNeil.
Track 15 - Confession: The first time I listened to this song by choice was the Coltrane version. While most people don’t care for that version (or at least that tempo) it’s the way I always hear the tune. This is the way I never hear it. :) No idea… but here comes Autumn with her serenade….
Thanks for the voyage. Looking forward to the reveal.

GAH! After reading the thread - Keeeeee-RIST! How did I miss Track 2!?!??!?!?!?! *SHAME* on me!

Edited by Thom Keith

This one nearly got away from me... just like summer did. Had some success for a change! By and large, just what the doctor ordered for a late summer listen.

Track 1 - I’m in immediately. Sensing Ibrahim. That voice in the opening sure sounds like Johnny Dyani. Ah, yes… there it is. This is Ibrahim and JD. Track 1 from this. Two absolute masters. Beautiful.

Full marks!
Track 2 - Not a clarinet fan, but this works. Seems to me that this is not a clarinetist by trade, but a doubler. Something Brubeckian about that comping, but the bass is reminiscent of some of the Ron Carter CTI stuff. Not sure who it is, but I enjoyed that piano solo a helluva lot more than I would if it were Brubeck (or so it would seem).
Interesting that the bass playing reminds you of Ron Carter as he actually plays the cello on this track I believe. Actually I was hoping that someone else would notice that his intonation is out to prove that my ears haven't been decieving me.
Track 3 - This has that reliable swinging feel. Reminds me of something Ray Bryant or Hampton Hawes would play, though I don’t think it’s either. Mad chops.
It is one of them!
Track 4 - Sure sounds like a boot of Booker Ervin to me. It’s Stardust. Oh, wait. I have it as part of this.
Track 5 - Odd, folkish song. It’s interesting, but I’m not sure if I actually like it. The guitar does not endear it to me. Could be Giuffre.
Yep it is Giuffre (you're on a roll!)
Track 6 - I should know this tenor (and believe I do, but can’t produce a name). Lovely ballad. Oh, wait… :) Actually, the interlude is a nice spice to have in there. I like this a lot.
Track 7 - That’s gotta be John Surman. Though I don’t believe I have this, I must acquire it. Did you mean to cut it off, or did I have an issue with the download? Perhaps an alternate take of something from Where Fortune Smiles?
Yes it is John Surman.
Track 8 - Very straight ahead, but not sure who it might be. I liked it, but not sure how well it maintained my focus.
Track 9 - This is quirky and interesting. Reminds me of Tapscott’s Sleeping Giant Awakened in the beginning. No idea what this is. That bari is pretty sweet, though.
Track 10 - Drummer isn’t really in tune with the pianist, but the pianist is killin’ it. Wow… drummer is really off-putting… reminds me of a Keno Duke record I have — same thing, just keeping time as though he’s the only one in the room. Some sick bop lines in that solo.
Hmm. I've never noticed that when I listen to it. I've always loved the groove (helped on by that cool bass/piano riff in the arrangement). I'll have to relisten and see if I hear what you're hearing!
Track 11 - Oh yeah! That’s my man Pharoah with Sonny Sharrock! Track 2 from this.
Track 12 - Love for Sale (but at this tempo, neither the seller nor the buyer are going to be pleased. That’s Sonny Criss, track 8 from this. Sounds like Roy Haynes on drums, but I know that it’s Alan Dawson doing his best impression of Roy. Sonny was a gunfighter — blazing technique.
Track 13 - Despite the sacrilegious nature, I like this. It seems like something that would happen at the end of a jam when everybody was just tired of playing standards. Not enamored of the soloists. I’m starting to believe that they may have actually be serious, but not all that capable.
Track 14 - I want to say nice ballad, but something is bugging me about the trumpet. Huh… it has summoned a chipmunk to my doorstep, however. Even when I told him to beat it, he stayed. I want to imagine he is tapping his foot. Very open trumpet sound. I wonder if it might be somebody like John McNeil.
The chipmunk knows where it's at.
Track 15 - Confession: The first time I listened to this song by choice was the Coltrane version. While most people don’t care for that version (or at least that tempo) it’s the way I always hear the tune. This is the way I never hear it. :) No idea… but here comes Autumn with her serenade….
Thanks for the voyage. Looking forward to the reveal.

GAH! After reading the thread - Keeeeee-RIST! How did I miss Track 2!?!??!?!?!?! *SHAME* on me!

I have previously discussed 1 and 7, so here are my other reactions.

2. This has the strange intonation of Ron Carter on cello on some Eric Dolphy sides. I can't place this particular track though.

3. Great! The pianist is really playing some beautiful, compelling stuff. I like the propulsive bass too.

4. An odd version of Stardust. No idea who it is.

5. Jimmy Giuffre, The Train and The River. I have always found this to be very interesting.

6. An unexpected big band section in the middle. I really like the saxophonist's tone. A quirky arrangement which I enjoy.

7. See prior discussion.

8.. The trumpet reminds me of Ahmed Abdullah, but the recording must be from many years before he started recording.

9. This is great, so quirky and intriguing. I love the baritone sax player's rich, bluesy tone.

10. I love this. The compelling piano and the unusual horn parts-what a weird and wonderful track. Wait, this is live?

That makes it all the more intriguing.

11. I have always liked Ask the Ages by Sonny Sharrock. What an interesting choice to select from this album.

12. The unmistakeable sound of Sonny Criss. I don't know what this is from though.

13. The funk sound reminds me of the New Orleans group, Galactic. I love this. It is so outside the mainstream, so wild.

14. The trumpet player has super clean technique, really outstanding technique. He plays with beauty too. I really ike this and have no idea who it is.

15. I dd not know Sam Cooke (or a strong imitator) sang this type of material. The ethereal female vocal in the background sounds like the lounge music era.

My title for the official big label release of this collection: "Weird Wild and Wonderful!"

Edited by Hot Ptah

Very late to the party, sorry. Here are my impressions/guesses. I have and recognize enough of these that I think can somewhat drop my self-prescribed "wooden ears" moniker. Great BFT, thanks!

1 – South African. My obvious point of reference is Dollar Brand, but it’s not him. I like it quite a bit, and the 17 minutes passes quickly. 70’s?

2 – “Warm Canto” from Mal Waldron ‘The Quest’. Eric Dolphy and Ron Carter. That album blew me away when I discovered it in the early 70’s. Great cut.

3 – Lovely piano. Assume it is from the 50’s? I’m sure it’s someone I know well and I may well have this CD sitting on a shelf somewhere. The bluesy little thing at the end makes me think of someone like Junior Mance.

4 – Old stuff. Aurally pretty bizarre (poor recording or pressing, variable tape speed), but I do like it some, and find it very interesting. Red Norvo maybe? Or Sun Ra’s 50’s stuff?

5 – Jimmy Giuffre “The Train and The River”, with Jim Hall. Tune is stuck with me forever from that great Newport documentary “Jazz on a Summer’s Day”. Utterly unique and wonderful.

6 – One of the tenor greats, I’m sure. Ben Webster? Lovely. Sounds Ellington-ish, but doesn’t sound like Ellington. One of the Verve Ben Webster albums?

7 – John McLaughlin, “Arjen’s Bag” (later “Follow Your Heart” on ‘My Goal’s Beyond’) from the ‘Extrapolation’ album with John Surman. One of my favorite tunes, especially the Joe Farrell version.

8 – Right up my alley, whatever it is, without being anything special for the genre. Maybe the 50’s Jazz Messengers with Jackie McLean and Bill Hardman?

9 – Well, that’s different, isn’t it? First thought was Rahsaan, just from the bizarre factor, but there are two sax players. I do like it/

10 – This is the Jazz Messengers, “That Old Feeling” from the the ‘Three Blind Mice’ live sessions. I remember getting this album from a cutout bin in the early 70’s, my first Jazz Messengers album, but far from my last. Cedar Walton is great on this. Love it when Blakey comes in at the beginning. “There it is! indeed”.

11 – Guitarist certainly sounds like Carlos Santana with that sustain, though I can’t place the cut in the Santana pantheon at all. Sonny Sharrock with Pharoah Sanders? Sharrock is also capable of that sustain.

12 – Now that is fine fine alto playing! “Love for Sale” Sonny Criss with Walter Davis and Paul Chambers from ‘This is Criss’.

13 – “All The Things You Are”, but certainly not a version I’m familiar with. Disco era for sure, but bad disco at that. Sounds like it’s being played by a bunch of robots, though I’m sure they’re fine musicians.

14 – Nice tone, but I don’t like the style. Hope it isn’t someone I think is a favorite, they don’t seem to have a sense of how to play a ballad (or at least THIS ballad) (at least to my taste).

15 –Sam Cooke, amazing voice. Or is this a trick somehow?

Ah, so 'Train & the river' was in 'Jazz on a summer's day'? I saw that in '59 or '60 - got my Dad to take me to a seedy cinema somewhere in London. But I think a neighbour played it to me in 1960 or '61, as well. No wonder I remembered it :g

Really, I try NOT to remember music, so it surprises me for longer - better value for money, don't y'know? So what surprised me with this is that I did actually remember it.

MG

9 -- No idea. Joel Forrester? Raymond Scott? An interesting interlude.
10 -- Should I recognize this song? A show tune that escapes me? A nice performance. Last month I guessed Billy Taylor and was wrong, and here I find myself thinking Billy Taylor again. The coda is wonderful.
11 -- Quick recognition of this one, "Who Does She Hope to Be?" from Sonny Sharrock's "Ask the Ages."
12 -- "Love for Sale," in a recording that seems to come from Van Gelder's living room. Great, biting alto sound. No other idea, but somebody will probably figure this out.
13 -- Not CTI, but somebody who wanted to imitate CTI's success. A relic of its time, early '70s -- but all the activity, in the arrangement and the solos, doesn't add up to much, and it takes a long time to make its point. The idea of switching up grooves is good, though.
14 -- A seasonally apt closer, in an arrangement that sounds like an attempt to jump on the folk-boom train. Sam Cooke?
Thanks for this one, AW!