Really bizarre, embarrassing shit from The New Yorker (merged)

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So........um, yeah, the Nina Simone article in the New Yorker was a good read. Ya'll should check it out......

Available in full online here: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/08/11/raised-voice

Yea, but how come that barely registers a blip here, when the "Sonny Rollins" thread is 5 pages long?... Yes, exactly.

I agree the parody wasn't very funny, but I don't understand all the outrage. Silliness at the expense of sacred cows is not such a bad idea, so relax a bit folks! Anybody want to write a Cecil Taylor interview? :party:

Edited by bogdan101

This thread and several others basically bring me to the conclusion that jazz is finally dead and there are a bunch of moldy old figs fighting over the carcass. It's so reminiscent of the dig at academics that the passions runs so deep because the stakes are so inconsequential. It's depressing how little life there is on any of the music threads (indeed I pretty much only post in the classical threads or to discuss books).

Well, as Samuel "Skeeter" Johnson once said, "When a man is bored with jazz, he is ready to live life again to its fullest (out of the basement)."

Keith Jarrett wouldn't be as funny. I hate having to explain this, but the thing that makes the Rollins thing funny is that it DOESN'T fit his persona or image. You could do a similar piece on the most revered living musician in other genres.

Gut busting funny. In fact, so funny, no one would be complaining about the joke.

So........um, yeah, the Nina Simone article in the New Yorker was a good read. Ya'll should check it out......

Available in full online here: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/08/11/raised-voice

Yea, but how come that barely registers a blip here, when the "Sonny Rollins" thread is 5 pages long?... Yes, exactly.

I agree the parody wasn't very funny, but I don't understand all the outrage. Silliness at the expense of sacred cows is not such a bad idea, so relax a bit folks! Anybody want to write a Cecil Taylor interview? :party:

You realize that there is very little actual outrage here?

For me it takes more to be outraged than a piece of particularly bad journalism. And Sonny for me is not a sacred cow but a well respected musician and personality.. He is also a particularly bad subject for a satire as there is nothing pompous about him, imho.

Edited by uli

You realize that there is very little actual outrage here?

I might be misreading what you're saying, uli.

But wouldn't the last four pages of this thread count?

And that is a honest and respectful question.

Not imo. There is a lost of negative opinions but there are a different grades of negative. I would not qualify much as outrage as on the other hand I also don't think that those who found some humor in the piece laughed their asses off.

If I had to write a piece, it would be Keith Jarrett's instructions to his audience as read by Samuel L. Jackson.

Fantastic rebuttal piece in the Washington Post this week, Monday's Style section (maybe). Will try and post a link later when I have the chance (and when I'm not on my phone).

Do you mean Chris Richards' piece?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/style-blog/wp/2014/08/11/all-what-jazz-or-how-to-declare-something-dead-without-listening-to-it/

Fantastic rebuttal piece in the Washington Post this week, Monday's Style section (maybe). Will try and post a link later when I have the chance (and when I'm not on my phone).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/style-blog/wp/2014/08/11/all-what-jazz-or-how-to-declare-something-dead-without-listening-to-it/

THAT'S the one. Been a crazy week -- my wife's in-laws have been in town, and it's been crazy at work too -- so I only heard her read it to me Monday night (while I was making dinner), and I haven't had the chance to go back and look for it.

There were also several letters-to-the-editor in the last day or three (or at least that's when my wife mentioned them to me, and read a few choice quotes).

Good to see some great rebuttals in print in regards to some of this nonsense.

Post put up *two* rebuttals.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2014/08/12/fine-jazz-is-easy-to-mock-that-doesnt-mean-its-useless/

I thought the key line in the Richards piece was this:

"Ultimately, rebutting the substance of this argument feels deeply unsatisfying because there is so little substance to rebut."

Edited by Jes1982

Damn, that's a good response too. Especially liked this quote (re: jazz abandoning lyrics and vocals)...

>> What Moyer seemingly can’t hear is the beauty and individuality of horns, pianos, guitars, basses and even drums applying themselves to melodies, along with the intention and personality that drive instrumental musicians. That’s almost pitiable, especially from an admitted instrumentalist.