will.i.am: The music industry is dead.

GA Russell

true, but i think he's speaking for a pretty large piece of the pie graph. i'm constantly hearing people i know and overhear talking about getting, listening to, and consuming their music from you tube. obviously, from where i sit, i think that's pretty sad, but then i wonder, divorced from the royalities equation, how different is it from my grade school self listening to a radio? i've not arrived at a very conclusive answer yet, but i still think foosball is the devil. and in this case, you tube represents foosball.

Edited by etherbored

I thought the part where he goes on and on, whining about Norah Jones was pretty funny.

All real artists universally hate Norah Jones.

So, I'm wondering where that leaves you? Do you have any commitment to your craft, or not?

You seem far too content with the existence of the plague of Norah Jones to take you seriously.

I thought the part where he goes on and on, whining about Norah Jones was pretty funny.

So, I'm wondering where that leaves you? Do you have any commitment to your craft, or not?

You seem far too content with the existence of the plague of Norah Jones to take you seriously.

It's been a while since I've finished any compositions, I must be a failure.

and, while I still play guitar, I'm a little handicapped since I hurt my arms six years ago. Some days, the hands are too stiff to play much.

Is it OK to love music or should I be suffering?

I think will I. am has a valid point. AT the most basic level, musicians can't do what they do unless they can make a living from it. AT a higher level, musicians have a right to receive compensation for what they produce.

The music "industry" has become a cottage industry. Artists have to make their own CDs or LPs, find their own ways to distribute it (usually at their concerts), get downloads onto iTune and other sites, do incessant touring, and perhaps get a half-cent per play from Spotify. It's a hustle. The days of labels providing A&R, recording support, touring support, etc, are mostly gone.

This artist-centric model has some obvious problems. They don't have the legal and financial muscle of the big corporations. They can't negotiate on an even basis with Spotify or You Tube (to name two). As someone pointed out, Google is making money from the hundreds of thousands of videos of performances. Why shouldn't the artists? Spotify has already been discussed elsewhere. Basically, the mechanisms for distributing music benefit pretty much only the distributors. They don't make, they make off of.

The comparison to cassette recordings doesn't really work here. Yes, there were alarmist statements made about it, but the continued sales of records weren't really affected. In terms of copying and distributing music, the digital age changed all that. It's much different now. For one thing, it's much more massive. This is why so many labels have packed it in. Hard to sell product when everyone is giving it away.

and, while I still play guitar, I'm a little handicapped since I hurt my arms six years ago. Some days, the hands are too stiff to play much.

I'm terribly sorry to hear that you don't take your craft seriously.

Stiff hands? Arm injury?

Excuses!

You, sir, are the Norah Jones of microtonal guitarists!

Though not quite as hot.

I'm terribly sorry to hear that you don't take your craft seriously.

Stiff hands? Arm injury?

Excuses!

You, sir, are the Norah Jones of microtonal guitarists!

Though not quite as hot.

Thank god I'm not as hot as Norah Jones!

I spend my days playing arrangements of Monk tunes. I'm such a low life.

Edited by 7/4

oh yeah, foosball is no fun.

:lol:

there's more than a trace of this that also applies to the major, shall we say, consolidation of newspapers and magazines that result in a loss of revenue that in turn has a real effect in the depth of coverage as well as serious investigative journalism. but maybe that's a different beast altogether that i shouldn't mention here, but the relative effects are somewhat correlative, right...?

Edited by etherbored

More, in a long line of, disappointments.

BTW, since that thread seems to have finally died, you gotta love how folks defended Allen in all of his artistic condescension, yet failed to acknowledge pretty much everything you said there.

But hey, you don't play Jazz!

Shame on you...

More, in a long line of, disappointments.

BTW, since that thread seems to have finally died, you gotta love how folks defended Allen in all of his artistic condescension, yet failed to acknowledge pretty much everything you said there.

But hey, you don't play Jazz!

Shame on you...

It's an enabling environment. People let Allen be a jerk instead of telling him to get help.

I only practice jazz.

Where's Musicboy when we need him?

throwback Tuesday!

Wow.

I couldn't make it through any of his rambling and senseless posts.

I did click on the link to his message board, but the account is suspended.