Record Collections...and then there are Record Collections

Brad

It's more "amassing" than "collecting," although a curatorial function of sorts is coming into play now, which is good to see.

What is it about Pittsburgh? Jerry of Jerry's Records is also reputed to have several million LPs stored at his store and a few other locations. I'm sure this Brazilian guy would love to have them too.

How come we never read stories like this about CD owners? :P

In the article they talk about some apocalyptic time when all other forms of music listening will be inoperative or destroyed, and only these LPs in Brazil would continue to exist to transmit the music. An interesting psychological crutch to justify the amassing of records. But...if it were to happen, would I go to the Amazon just to listen to some vinyl?

Yeah, I would,,,,,,but I'd be pissed. :P

In the article they talk about some apocalyptic time when all other forms of music listening will be inoperative or destroyed, and only these LPs in Brazil would continue to exist to transmit the music. An interesting psychological crutch to justify the amassing of records. But...if it were to happen, would I go to the Amazon just to listen to some vinyl?

Yeah, I would,,,,,,but I'd be pissed. :P

I've wondered about this myself... i've always figured if the world gets to that stage music will probably be the least of my worries... it's a stangely comforting thought!