Farewell Robin Williams

Chuck Nessa

Rest in Peace, Robin.

I didn't like every movie he made, though a handful were excellent IMO - Dead Poets Society, Good Morning Vietnam, The Fisher King, Good Will Hunting, World According to Garp. And maybe What Dreams May Come.

His quick wit, intelligence, and comic talent were undeniable.

Oh no! I worked on a film with him and Billy Crystal. It was a flop but, as my wife has often pointed out, it was worth it just to have had lunch with those guys every day and to drive to the set with them. I once asked them if they'd be as funny if none of us were around as an audience and they thought for a minute and said they'd keep it up even if they were only amusing each other.

We were once shooting all night with a large group of extras and in the middle of the night when we were all flagging Robin jumped up and did 30 minutes of stand-up to keep us al awake. He was a good man.

"The Birdcage" is always side splitting to me. This news came as a real shock, I'm not the most avid movie person, but he was a wonderful actor, and as an improvising comedian, what he did on "Inside the Actor's Studio" with the scarf was outstanding. Depression is very serious, as someone who has suffered from debilitating bouts of it, I had to agree hearing Dr. Drew tonight saying the brain disease (depression) that Robin was suffering with really robbed the world too soon of someone great.

Rest in Peace, Robin.

I didn't like every movie he made, though a handful were excellent IMO - Dead Poets Society, Good Morning Vietnam, The Fisher King, Good Will Hunting, World According to Garp. And maybe What Dreams May Come.

His quick wit, intelligence, and comic talent were undeniable.

I'd have to add Awakenings and The Bird Cage to that list.

I'd like to say this news shocked me yesterday, but it really didn't. I always thought his ticking time bomb nature was genuine.

He'll be missed.

Oddly enough I somehow avoided a lot of his hits and saw his less successful (at least commercially) movies. The crazy thing is I just can't remember whether I saw What Dreams May Come or not.

I suspect that my favorite part is actually the genie in Aladdin, simply because it seemed the only role where his quicksilver changes made much sense.

As for his dramatic roles, I think my favorite is Moscow on the Hudson.

I am very sorry he couldn't hang on for a while longer, but depression is a real beast...

From today's paper: "[Williams] said his earliest comic influences were his mother ... and Jonathan Winters, an absurdist improvisational comic of film and TV."

"[X] said his earliest literary influence was Ernest Hemingway, an American novelist of the 20 Century."

BTW, Winters -- arguably no less troubled than Williams, though who can really say -- made it to age 87.

I spent some time as an interviewer with both of them.